Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,127,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
"you only got in because your parents are rich!"

sound familiar?
Call it what you want, but yes, a large reason you got in over someone else with the same stats is because your "parents are rich". It is what it is, sorry you are offended but look around at your classmates....and be thankful you were in the position to be able to take advantage of your parents hard work as well. Full pay students are given a leg up at just about every college in the country because the schools need the money even with large endowments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM

12,888 posts, read 9,127,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
So the CEO of the local plumbing shop is not successful?

How about doctors, are they not successful? Harvard's placement rate into medical schools is lower than most smaller colleges. If you were planning on med school, wouldn't you want to go to a school that has 100% of it's grads get into med school vs 85%?

Santa Clara University - College of Arts and Sciences - Pre-Health -Admission Statistics

Juniata College | Colleges That Change Lives

What about engineers, are they not successful, most of the Ivy's don't even have engineering programs.

There are about 21,000,000 college students in the US right now, and about 56,000 of those students go to an Ivy League school.
Didn't say they weren't successful. But this discussion was whether Ivy (or similar) colleges made a difference. There's a good bit of difference between the CEO of a two person shop and CEO of a Fortune 50. Has less to do with the actual education and as much to do with the name of the college. Doesn't mean those who didn't go to an Ivy are failure; but it does mean that an Ivy opens doors others don't. To think otherwise is wishful self delusion.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Didn't say they weren't successful. But this discussion was whether Ivy (or similar) colleges made a difference. There's a good bit of difference between the CEO of a two person shop and CEO of a Fortune 50. Has less to do with the actual education and as much to do with the name of the college. Doesn't mean those who didn't go to an Ivy are failure; but it does mean that an Ivy opens doors others don't. To think otherwise is wishful self delusion.
..and again, there is a full list of Fortune 500 CEO's that did NOT go to an Ivy. To think that the name on your diploma will get you into the top spot alone is self-delusion. If your supposition were correct, the majority of the CEO's would be Ivy grads....

Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 AM

30,699 posts, read 18,343,305 times
Sure, your undergraduate college doesn't have to matter. And highly ambitious people can be (and are) successful wherever they go. Still, if you attend a college with a great name and alumni network, you can, if you leverage things correctly, be in a much better position upon graduation than people who don't attend these schools. Note, I've gotten numerous interviews/job offers in large part because I am a graduate of an Ivy League university; while not bad grades, I don't exactly have a 4.0, but I've had several employer/interviewers tell me that they were/are interested in interviewing me/extending offers in large part due to my school, which tells them a lot about my work ethic to be able to get in and do relatively well there. Now, those people who benefit from their school now still have to do the work that's required of them, but sometimes its that extra help in getting your foot into the door that makes all the difference.

More on the point about the need to leverage things correctly, even if you attend a highly selective, well-regarded school. I know several people who majored in feminist studies during my undergraduate years. Apart from the basic core requirements that everyone took, they did not diversify their academic resume outside of courses from their major. As a result, many of them had a very difficult time getting a job and decried the fact that their "Ivy League degree wasn't all that some make it out to be." On the flip side, my friends who focused/diversified their academic resumes with economics, finance, math, and/or science course are ALL employed today. I'm not saying that you should have to give up your academic passion in school, but there are plenty of ways to take classes in subjects that interest you while still diversifying your record with courses that are most useful to employers.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,173,887 times
Quote:
Call it what you want, but yes, a large reason you got in over someone else with the same stats is because your "parents are rich". It is what it is, sorry you are offended but look around at your classmates....and be thankful you were in the position to be able to take advantage of your parents hard work as well. Full pay students are given a leg up at just about every college in the country because the schools need the money even with large endowments.
why have you assumed my parents are rich? interesting.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:03 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,439,531 times
It depends on your industry. Im in accounting and nobody could give a darn where I went to Uni as long as it was accredited.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
"you only got in because your parents are rich!"

sound familiar?
Quote:
why have you assumed my parents are rich? interesting.

Maybe because you said they were??? I have no idea what your financial status is, you are the one that posted you were sick of hearing that you only got in because your parents are rich....

Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,173,887 times
Quote:
Maybe because you said they were??? I have no idea what your financial status is, you are the one that posted you were sick of hearing that you only got in because your parents are rich....
I did not state that my parents were rich. I implied I was tired of the instant assumption. Thanks for validating my concerns .

See guys- going to a good school is not always a picnic! Typically I won't even mention it until it becomes necessary to do so. Some people start to get really defensive which annoys and confuses me.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,923,471 times
Quote:
The vast majority of elite colleges are need blind, meaning that family finances do not play a role in admissions.

Do the moderators know you are posting under a new name, golfgal?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,026,945 times
Quote:
No, you are trying to say that simply going to Harvard is going to give you an edge and that is not at all correct. There are many other factors to consider and just knowing where someone went to college does not equal success. I know out of work Ivy league grads and U of Phoenix grads that are running successful companies.

Ivy grads have no more probability of success then anyone else simply because they went to an Ivy. It just means they graduated from an Ivy league school.
We have not had a non Ivy League President since Bush. Many of the cabinet members and federal justices are Ivy League. Disproportionately so.

That doesn't mean that every Ivy Leaguer is successful or that every successful person is Ivy League. But it does mean that you have a higher percentage of Ivy Leaguer who get top jobs in business and government.

In politics, high level business, and in academia going to Harvard will give you an edge and to say it didn't is just going into denial. I'm not speaking of bachelor degrees, I'm speaking of advanced degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities