Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:32 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times

Advertisements

After a couple of false starts, I went back to college when I was 31 (and my son was 2), and earned my B.A. at the age of 33. Just last month (December, 2007), I finally earned my Masters Degree -- at the age of 50 (well, 50-1/2, to be exact -- LOL).

Although I was always busy and always tired, I'm glad I did it. I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,656,962 times
Thumbs up Great topic!!!

What a fun and encouraging thread!

I have a friend who just turned 58 and she is in an accelerated program to finish her degree by next year. She has her own business, is President of her Toastmaster's Club and the classes are very hard but she is living life to the fullest and excited to be working towards her degree! What an inspiration she is!

I never went to college until my kids were in their teens and I loved it. That was a long time ago but I have always been young at heart and enjoy being with people of all ages. I recently took an online class and while that was very different, I enjoyed all the give and take that was done in the message boards...much like this forum!

I love learning...and believe it not only keeps our brains healthy but we feel most alive when we're learning...so by all means, go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I will be 43 this year. Infact I turn 43 in May. I also finish my MBA in May. It has been a long road, but to tell you the truth I am a little scared as to what I will do when I am done. Not with work as that area is taken care of. I have been going to school while working full time for the past 8 years. I completed my BS and decided after a break to continue on. I had tried over the years to start my education. I had been doing a little hear and there since 1984. Didn't get serious till I was in my 30's. Now I am getting to the end and I am used to spending countless hours doing something. My next goal is to write a book.
Good for you, Soon2B! If writing a book is your next goal and you find yourself struggling, I recommend either taking a class on writing or grammar or joining one of those online writing sites to keep you motivated! If you want to save some money and take classes online, I recommend ed2go.com but then again, maybe you'd like to TEACH a class by then!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 AM

253 posts, read 1,107,280 times
Thumbs up Go for it!

I went to college at 17 & had a student in my classes that was in her 40s or maybe 50s. I remember she fit in well & she had a 3.85 GPA. I had spoken to many other older students & found the same thing of them. I found that older students often do better in college b/c they take it more seriously. I say go for it! College is about opening up your mind and broadening your experiences not only will you benefit from it so will your fellow classmates You have a wealth of knowledge to share with them.

I am now in my mid 30's & I have just finished my 3rd Masters degree. I believe I am a better student in my 30's than I was at 17. I look forward to no possibly going for my doctorate & I am also trying to write a book. Life is short live & experience it. Try to have as little regrets as possible. Make the best of your life! Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,652 times
Trix are for kids - school isn't.

I think on every campus in the country you will find people who look like professors who are actually students. There is no age definition in college any more. More and more people are retiring and then going back to college to learn how to do something entirely different.

Mothers who are suffering from empty nest syndrome are enrolling for the first time in colleges and universities. What starts out to be a means of staying in the loop or being around young people usually nets same-age friends taking similar courses of study.

I am doing that next year.

I could fully retire now and do the gardening thing and feed the birds and take pictures of blue skies and snowmen all the rest of my days, but I would like to learn a few more things -like cake decorating, advanced first aid, nutrition, forestry and all manner of agricultural topics. Just because you enroll in a college doesn't mean you have a degree in mind. Personal enrichment can be found in campus life, too.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,681 times
My aunt is in her 50's and completing her BA while working full time as an RN. It's hard at times, but she's doing great. I say go for it!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times
Smile Just shy of a BA degree

OK, I need 2 classes - found out I can do online - and I start May 11th.
Really looking forward to it.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM

287 posts, read 897,562 times
Grandma was in her 70's when she got her CPA credentials. Now in her 80's she doesn't regret it a bit. My brother became a pharmacist in his 30's, my sister graduated with a BA in her 30's. I would like to go back just want to make sure what I get into is going to pay off later. Education itself is a good reason to go back to school, however, with 2 kids, a full time position & being over 40 the idea of taking my time deciding what to do is over. Must know before I go.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I have been self employed most of my life and done OK, however, I feel if I ever need to go into the workforce, I will definitely need that degree. I look and feel about 15 years younger than I am, extremely motivated, very positive on life, etc.

Has anyone gone back to school to finish a couple of classes? If so, how was it? How were you treated? Also, I am blind in one eye and have poor vision in the other, so it's a challenge that way - has been all my life, actually.

I've been going to school my whole life. Both husband and I have been non-traditional students. I put him through college for 7 years, he's now a pharmacist. I went through college as a non-traditional student, graduated with a degree in accounting when I was expecting #4. A few years later, went back for a nursing degree when I was expecting #6. I still go to school; we have 7 children now ranging in ages 24 to age 6 (almost 7). There is nothing to stop you, you can do anything you believe in - PERIOD.

As far as the blind in one eye and poor vision in the other, check out the Americans with Disabilities Act and you will be accomodated properly. Colleges will, by law, accomodate your disability and you will do fine. Best of luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,483 times
First off congrats on your accomplishment!!! I went back to school full time to earn my B.S. in elementary education when I turned 40. I will be done a year from now (YEAH!!) I threw away my radio broadcasting career and don't regret a single second in doing so. The thing I regret was not deciding to become a teacher 20 years ago. But as they say, better late then never. I have had many "older" students in my classes who were in the same boat as me. Just looking for a more rewarding career. Good luck to you!!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,656,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
OK, I need 2 classes - found out I can do online - and I start May 11th.
Really looking forward to it.
How exciting for you, Bette! I've been taking some online classes and just love them! Whoohoo! I'm gonna send a couple of reps your way in celebration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
Grandma was in her 70's when she got her CPA credentials. Now in her 80's she doesn't regret it a bit. My brother became a pharmacist in his 30's, my sister graduated with a BA in her 30's. I would like to go back just want to make sure what I get into is going to pay off later. Education itself is a good reason to go back to school, however, with 2 kids, a full time position & being over 40 the idea of taking my time deciding what to do is over. Must know before I go.
Now, THAT'S usin' the ol' noggin, chicago! It's important to know that you can't do anything and that if you add something to your schedule, it'd better be something that counts! Whew! I mean, really, whose got time to waste? Very few and certainly not you! There's a time for everything...and it sounds like you've got your priorities in order! I'm also gonna send a coupla reps your way for that smart talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I've been going to school my whole life. Both husband and I have been non-traditional students. I put him through college for 7 years, he's now a pharmacist. I went through college as a non-traditional student, graduated with a degree in accounting when I was expecting #4. A few years later, went back for a nursing degree when I was expecting #6. I still go to school; we have 7 children now ranging in ages 24 to age 6 (almost 7). There is nothing to stop you, you can do anything you believe in - PERIOD.

As far as the blind in one eye and poor vision in the other, check out the Americans with Disabilities Act and you will be accomodated properly. Colleges will, by law, accomodate your disability and you will do fine. Best of luck!
That is such an impressive testimony, Donna! I must say that things have sure changed since my mother married back in the 1940s and gave birth to 7 children. She had been teaching in a one-room schoolhouse and as soon as the school year ended, she married my father and never went back to teaching. He had two children by a previous marriage so she went into instant motherhood...and then, as I like to say, gave birth to her own classroom.

It's been so long since I read the rest of this thread and I honestly can't recall who said anything about being blind in one eye and having poor vision in the other but I'm excited to see you offer them help. Here's a link to the ADA's website: ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act . There are lots of links and one of the ones on the left is "Education".

I used to read for Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic (RFBD). ( Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic (RFB&D): The primary source for educational audiobooks for students with print disabilities (http://www.rfbd.org/index.htm - broken link) ) I'm not sure what all they do but I do know that they record books for students. The student just has to provide two matching books to RFBD and they use those to get it on cassettes...or CD's nowadays, I guess. Oh...and did I say that it is free? At least it used to be. And they do stuff for all age groups and not just your typical stuff for studies. I hope others will see this and check them out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
First off congrats on your accomplishment!!! I went back to school full time to earn my B.S. in elementary education when I turned 40. I will be done a year from now (YEAH!!) I threw away my radio broadcasting career and don't regret a single second in doing so. The thing I regret was not deciding to become a teacher 20 years ago. But as they say, better late then never. I have had many "older" students in my classes who were in the same boat as me. Just looking for a more rewarding career. Good luck to you!!
What an inspiration you are, teacher! I'm sure your students will just love you! I'm so glad this thread got picked up again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities