Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,735 times

Advertisements

After reading all these postings I guess 45 isn't to old to start. I'll be taking the some summer classes to get caught up on my Math,English,Typing, and Computer skills. Hopefully by the Fall I can figure out what to be when I grow up. The first two years will be paid for from the plant closing where I worked. I'm sure going to give it my all to get an associates degree in something. Then if a bachelors is in order a loan may be needed. Just have to cross that bridge later. My circumstances now I feel, it would be foolish not to try. My son is about to finish his first year so he's got a head start. I think he barely made it though. Sounds like it's tough for a lot of kids the first year. With some work I'm going to show em' how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM

523 posts, read 1,681,248 times
Default Inspirational!

I've only skimmed some posts here, but I have to say your stories are inspiring! I've toyed with the idea of law school for so long (even took the LSATs twice), but keep getting side tracked. I earned my B.S. as a non-traditional student, so I don't have a fear of the "age thing". Guess I really just have to take the plunge.

I'm going to back and read this thread from the beginning. Perhaps doing so will help keep me focused. Afterall, as I read somewhere -- the time is going to go by anyway.

Last edited by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME?; 04-17-2008 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: fix typo.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:45 AM

6,885 posts, read 11,252,850 times
Smile Going back - with your inspirational stories!

After posting the original thread, I was so inspired by all of you that I took some baby steps which led to school contact after 18 years (yikes) - my son just started his freshman year so I knew I only needed 2 classes to finish.

It took me 14 years to get to that point. I can't believe it's now another 18 years!

Now, it looks like I will have to jump in and learn the accounting business to help my husband so this is a good thing but hearing others have done it, are wanting to do it and are doing it is pushing me and making me feel I am not alone.

That's why CD is such a great site - it is threads like this that keep it going.

Thanks so much and let me know how you do!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 34,336 times
Thanks all for the warm welcome and the encouragement. I wanted to go into the Accounting field in the first place but instead listened to naysayers and went into teaching instead. So now here I am at nearly 50 trying to start over. I'm a classic example of how important it is to listen to your heart and do what you want to do regardless of what others think.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
I went back after 32 yrs in the trenches. (engineer, toolmaker)

I was availed a NAFTA 're-training' program since I gave my job away by having someone from Asia sit next to me and shadow my international travels for a year.

School is great, finishing up an MBA so I have a wider diversity of skills. I would have preferred a skill like "Physical Therapy", as I have found it better to work in an hourly position, than salary. The pre-req's and wait list for medical positions would not fit NAFTA requirements. I am grateful for school and enjoy the program, staff and students. I'm a tad bitter about getting laid of 6 wks before retirement eligibility and paying $1000/ month medical instead of free... but that's life ! Get over it and move on. (I'm working on that part, and school helps)

Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM

713 posts, read 2,718,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
....I went back 9 years later and got my BA (geography major)
What are you doing with your Geography degree?

My biggest fear is going back to school at my age (44 in June) and then trying to find a job. I can go back to college for free and even get a stipend on top of that, but I would lose about half of my VA disability (would be reduced to $1,200 a month) income after completion of college.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,657,949 times
Exclamation Warning! Emotional post ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyannel View Post
Thanks all for the warm welcome and the encouragement. I wanted to go into the Accounting field in the first place but instead listened to naysayers and went into teaching instead. So now here I am at nearly 50 trying to start over. I'm a classic example of how important it is to listen to your heart and do what you want to do regardless of what others think.
Awwww! Bless your heart, joyannel! I'm sure you've already thought about this but I just want to point out to all those whose good fortune finds them coming across this thread that we never know where one path unchosen might have taken us. We can grieve what might have been but then again, perhaps we wound up better off. It's like the time-travel movies where changing the smallest thing in the past can bring serious changes into the future. I know that many if not most of us have things we regret or would do differently...or wish had been done differently towards us...but we don't have the luxury of being able to see the end of that so it really isn't fair to do that to ourselves. In fact, I have my own story of abuse at the hands of another...yet, I believe my strength, sensitivity and compassion for others has been a result that helps me to accept it...even if I wouldn't be willing to actually celebrate it.

The exciting thing for YOU is that you now have an opportunity to still pursue your interest in accounting at this new fork in the road that you find yourself presented with. I'm excited to know that you, like Bette, are going for it!

Sorry for getting so "heavy" in this thread. I can only hope that someone needs to "hear" it. I am so inspired by all of you and it just makes me get all philosophical and sensitive!

Carry on with the discussion!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I went back after 32 yrs in the trenches. (engineer, toolmaker)

I was availed a NAFTA 're-training' program since I gave my job away by having someone from Asia sit next to me and shadow my international travels for a year.

School is great, finishing up an MBA so I have a wider diversity of skills. I would have preferred a skill like "Physical Therapy", as I have found it better to work in an hourly position, than salary. The pre-req's and wait list for medical positions would not fit NAFTA requirements. I am grateful for school and enjoy the program, staff and students. I'm a tad bitter about getting laid of 6 wks before retirement eligibility and paying $1000/ month medical instead of free... but that's life ! Get over it and move on. (I'm working on that part, and school helps)
Jan, your story is what causes us all to grieve the injustices of life and get caught up in "what-if's" and "shoulda, coulda, woulda's". I really feel for you and am glad you have found a way of "making lemonade out of your lemons" and especially, finding a way to have a good attitude about it all! Thanks for sharing your story and being a "teacher" and inspiring us all.

Hugs all around!

MrsG

Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
... grieve the injustices of life and get caught up in "what-if's" and "shoulda, coulda, woulda's". ...
Life throws curve balls, take the opportunities at hand, tomorrow may have a new task in store. I got 32 yrs of "eldercare" responsibilities the day I turned 18, so a minor detail in life's journey. But I'm very grateful for good health and a free schedule at the moment - good time to return to school - no job, no eldercare, kids just left home, and I can buy 'season tickets' to classical concerts at the '"Student" rate (tho older than most my profs...))

The kids at the ticket booth always "card" me for my student ID

Old 04-19-2008, 04:11 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,657,949 times
Hahahaaa! That's funny, Jan!

Well, it does sound like you're in a great season of your life, all things considered.
Good health is surely something to be grateful for, too!
Attitude is everything...and you've got it "in spades"!

http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-2522-bravo.gif (broken link)Good for you!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
This woman is 79 and went back to school:

79-year-old Oregon Student Closes In on Computer Degree - Community College Week - The independent voice servicing community, junior and technical colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities