Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times

Advertisements

I have been self employed most of my life and done OK, however, I feel if I ever need to go into the workforce, I will definitely need that degree. I look and feel about 15 years younger than I am, extremely motivated, very positive on life, etc.

Has anyone gone back to school to finish a couple of classes? If so, how was it? How were you treated? Also, I am blind in one eye and have poor vision in the other, so it's a challenge that way - has been all my life, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 PM

208 posts, read 819,800 times
Default Congratulations

Going to school is tough at any age so I must applaud you for returning. I am finishing up a degree, and I think my only regret was not finishing earlier.

In my opinion, having an education is a worthwhile accomplishment, and when you obtain that degree later in life, it makes it all the more fulfilling.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Default Degree finishing

Thanks for the positive!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 AM

116 posts, read 448,743 times
I am in my mid-thirties and went back this year. I love it and am glad I am doing it. There are people of all ages, some are changing careers. I think it is a good thing to get an education no matter how old you are. Good luck in your studies.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times
I would encourage you to go back, for whatever reason -- to finish that degree, personal fulfillment. I graduated in 1977 with a BA, and went back to school in '95 to pick up the credits I needed to teach elementary school, in addition to being certified grades 6 - 12. Never regretted it.

You may feel just a tad out of place around the kids, but you will also find plenty of students your own age, there, for all sorts of reasons. If you feel young now, wait until you go back -- it took a good 5 - 10 years off my outlook.

I also enjoyed the challenge of having to read materials, do research, meet and discuss things in a class setting, put together projects. It did a lot for my overall attitude and morale. I don't think you are ever too old to go back to school, or to pick up something new.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
My Grandpa went back to college when he retired at age 65. My Grandma had passed away a year earlier and he needed something to do. He always wanted a college degree but when he graduated from high school it wasn't an option. He started taking a few classes and then went full time under the MN senior program. I think he paid something like $8/credit. He earned a degree in Liberal Arts and a minor in woodshop. He continued to take classes as he pleased until he was 85 years old. He also did extensive summer traveling with the elderhostl programs at the colleges and pretty much saw every corner of the continent.

He was a rabid hockey fan and they have a gold plated seat in their stadium dedicated to him. He was also awarded an outstanding alumni award from the College several years ago. It kept him young.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
My Grandpa went back to college when he retired at age 65. My Grandma had passed away a year earlier and he needed something to do. He always wanted a college degree but when he graduated from high school it wasn't an option. He started taking a few classes and then went full time under the MN senior program. I think he paid something like $8/credit. He earned a degree in Liberal Arts and a minor in woodshop. He continued to take classes as he pleased until he was 85 years old. He also did extensive summer traveling with the elderhostl programs at the colleges and pretty much saw every corner of the continent.

He was a rabid hockey fan and they have a gold plated seat in their stadium dedicated to him. He was also awarded an outstanding alumni award from the College several years ago. It kept him young.
That's awesome!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 PM

60 posts, read 246,692 times
I went to college (for the first time) at age 42. I never had any problem and enjoyed the experience immensely. I got along well with all the "kids." They were mostly twenty-somethings and were all great people. Lots of them have remained friends. I highly recommend college at any age. Don't be afraid...

Old 01-26-2008, 12:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I will be 43 this year. Infact I turn 43 in May. I also finish my MBA in May. It has been a long road, but to tell you the truth I am a little scared as to what I will do when I am done. Not with work as that area is taken care of. I have been going to school while working full time for the past 8 years. I completed my BS and decided after a break to continue on. I had tried over the years to start my education. I had been doing a little hear and there since 1984. Didn't get serious till I was in my 30's. Now I am getting to the end and I am used to spending countless hours doing something. My next goal is to write a book.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Smile Returning to college

Thanks for the replies! I know what you mean, I worked 2 jobs and went to college, sometimes 1 course a semester, sometimes 2 - then got married, had kids, became self employed - and here I am - kids are now almost grown; they have more education than me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities