Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:37 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times

Advertisements

What are all the schools that you are considering? Out of curiosity, I took a look at the WGU MBA in Technology Management curriculum and it looked really light on the core MBA requirements. No accounting classes? No statistics? If someone has a MBA, I would expect them to have at least some understanding of these subjects, regardless of concentration.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 08-05-2015 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 AM

394 posts, read 435,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Lol, what in the hell is a "real MBA"?

So OP, you want some information on what you should do? It depends totally on what your Career Plans are.

But I will tell you this rule of thumb, if you don't plan on going to Wallstreet Investment Banking there's absolutely NO REASON why you need to go to a Top Ranked School that costs $100,000 for the MBA. Number two, if you honestly haven't already been recruited into Wallstreet I-Banking at this point, you probably AREN'T going to get recruited/hired into it, so the simple purpose of going to a Top Ranked School to get into Wallstreet Investment Banking right now is fruitless.

You want to get an MBA in IT, I assume you want to take up some type of middle IT Manager role? Is this in a small company, medium sized company, large company, Fortune 500 company?

If you are talking a small - medium sized company (which is about 75% of the available jobs out there) you CAN go to a quality and respected online college that's regionally accredited like a WGU and save a SIGNIFICANT amount of money on the degree pickup paying about $9,000 for three terms.

If you plan on targeting large companies or Fortune 500, you can go to your State School and use their MBA program or you can try out of state schools that charge the same tuition to in/out of state residents like a University of South Dakota that has costs about $25,000 - $35,000.

Be smart about this pickup, an "MBA" is NOT what it used to be. What you really are using it for is for promotions from IT staff positions into to IT Management positions combining your 5 - 7 years of professional experience with the Master's degree pickup, to then look for promotions to some IT Manager position. You can do that with a State School as I listed or WGU can work just as well, you DO NOT and you SHOULD NOT be looking at spending $100,000 for this degree pickup. You are looking at $9,000 - $35,000 in total. Note the 5 - 7 year professional experience requirement, without it getting an MBA is worthless at this point.

Also never trust a person that uses the term "real MBAs" or these people who run around putting "Comma MBA" after their name like they have a freaking PhD or something lol. An MBA is NOT a terminal degree and quite honestly, the MBA has lost 80% of its value over the last couple of years. To me the degree is nothing but an option of Master's Degree choices one is looking to grab when seeking Management promotional positions that usually require a Master's Degree.
by "real MBA" I was pretty much meaning what you posted

There's not really a point in getting it unless for 2 things:
1. You have the high GMAT, the ~5 years experience and if you get into a high, top ranked one you WILL place better with higher paying companies
2. You have your own company TELL YOU they will help to pay for it and merely want you to get the MBA for a promotion type of deal... in which case it doesn't really matter where you get it

*still, people nowadays getting an MBA from "no name state school" or "University of Phoenix(lol)" with ZERO experience and no company funding them are just wasting their time and money

Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,499,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
2. You have your own company TELL YOU they will help to pay for it and merely want you to get the MBA for a promotion type of deal... in which case it doesn't really matter where you get it
I have a no-name MBA and was able to move up a level at a different company right after I graduated. If you have the right experience, even a no-name MBA can pay off.

Quote:
still, people nowadays getting an MBA from "no name state school" or "University of Phoenix(lol)" with ZERO experience and no company funding them are just wasting their time and money
Agree 100%.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:37 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,831,471 times
Yeah guys, stay away from University of Phoenix, matter of fact just stay away from ANY for profit school. I got my MBA from WGU, why? I have been and most likely will continue working under a start-up/small business structure AND my MBA was technically free due to using my left-over grant money and tax incentives. It was free because WGU's MBA price is very low.

For non ranked MBA options, I would choose either a State School or WGU. WGU's reputation in the marketplace is excellent, just do some research on the institution.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I have a no-name MBA and was able to move up a level at a different company right after I graduated. If you have the right experience, even a no-name MBA can pay off.

Agree 100%.
Yea this was my point

If you have the requisite experience, and alot of times the upper management may even levy "it may help you to get the MBA", then it doesn't really matter so much honestly where it's from

Old 08-05-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah guys, stay away from University of Phoenix, matter of fact just stay away from ANY for profit school. I got my MBA from WGU, why? I have been and most likely will continue working under a start-up/small business structure AND my MBA was technically free due to using my left-over grant money and tax incentives. It was free because WGU's MBA price is very low.

For non ranked MBA options, I would choose either a State School or WGU. WGU's reputation in the marketplace is excellent, just do some research on the institution.
well bottomline

The MBA will generally be pretty much useless unless you have 5 years experience atleast...

if not, then you better have SOME experience and/or place at a top ranked one lol

Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,831,471 times
Quote:
well bottomline

The MBA will generally be pretty much useless unless you have 5 years experience atleast...

if not, then you better have SOME experience and/or place at a top ranked one lol
I totally agree, using with the MBA you are going to have one of three routes:

1.) Recruiter Route - You currently have been recruited into a position, most likely in I-Banking, and they are sending you back to a Top Ranked school free of charge to complete an MBA in 2 years for exchange of 5 - 10 years of service to the company going forward.

2.) Management Position Application Route - You currently have been working in the staff level positions for 5 - 7 years with great performance and are looking to move up into Management positions. You would grab the MBA from a school you can afford if you have to pay out of pocket, or if you land the management position prior the Employer might cover your cost for the MBA for 2 years for exchange of 5 - 10 years of service to the company going forward.

3.) Entrepreneur Route - After working for someone else in your sector for 2 - 5 years, you plan on starting up your own firm or continuing to run a firm you already are operating in terms of a small business. You would just grab an MBA from a school you can afford IF you go after an MBA at all.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Quote:

I'm curious about WGU's classes, but didn't see any syllabi posted online. What sort of exposure to financial accounting, managerial accounting and statistics do you get in their MBA program?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I totally agree, using with the MBA you are going to have one of three routes:

1.) Recruiter Route - You currently have been recruited into a position, most likely in I-Banking, and they are sending you back to a Top Ranked school free of charge to complete an MBA in 2 years for exchange of 5 - 10 years of service to the company going forward.

2.) Management Position Application Route - You currently have been working in the staff level positions for 5 - 7 years with great performance and are looking to move up into Management positions. You would grab the MBA from a school you can afford if you have to pay out of pocket, or if you land the management position prior the Employer might cover your cost for the MBA for 2 years for exchange of 5 - 10 years of service to the company going forward.

3.) Entrepreneur Route - After working for someone else in your sector for 2 - 5 years, you plan on starting up your own firm or continuing to run a firm you already are operating in terms of a small business. You would just grab an MBA from a school you can afford IF you go after an MBA at all.
yea I think 1 and 2 are the two most preferred and ideal

for number 1, i would believe they still want a decent GMAT for placement at a top school too though, so you would still need a ~650 and up GMAT though

Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I'm curious about WGU's classes, but didn't see any syllabi posted online. What sort of exposure to financial accounting, managerial accounting and statistics do you get in their MBA program?
honestly if you're thinking about those..

just take your pre req Accounting classes(not that difficult, but require ALOT of effort/work)

and just get your MSA/CPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities