Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 PM

87 posts, read 132,341 times

Advertisements

That makes decent money without weekend or night work whats a good college major to pick?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Good luck with that. Most professional jobs will, at least occasionally, require evenings or weekends. Sometimes for outright *work* but frequently for responding to emails and getting administrative...um...stuff...done so you can focus on *work* during regular working hours.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 PM

101 posts, read 415,715 times
I think skills will determine whether you work weekdays or weekend and/or nights. The more skills you have, the more options you'll have. The less skills, the less options.

If you want to take a look at jobs that are 9 to 5 jobs, take a look at a temp agency's job listings. Two big ones that I've worked with before are Kelly Services Staffing Agencies - Workforce & Staffing Solutions by Kelly Services or Office Team Administrative Jobs & Administrative Staffing | OfficeTeam. Take a look at the jobs and see the hours and days of the week they advertise. These are two really big temp agencies and are nationwide.

What you like to do will dictate the kind of major you should pick. Or to be more exact, your personality will dictate what you are more inclined to want to do. Know yourself and you will know what to do.

First step, take the Myers Briggs test here: Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology
After you take the test, you can search your personality type on the internet. It's very interesting to read about yourself.

Next, take the Holland Code RIASEC test at: Holland Code (RIASEC) Test
This test will/should help you find a course of study to pursue, or lead you in the right direction. Actually, this test is used by a lot of colleges to help students get a feel for the kind of majors they should study.

I'm an IAS, so I would lean towards (in this order) investigative, artistic and social careers. I'm in a social career, but I think I should have stuck with investigative in hindsight. I'm a teacher, but now that I look back on it, I should have stuck with Criminal Justice. I fight for EVERYONE'S rights.

I hope that helps you. The Holland Code test should give you some great insight into a major. Good luck! Take it and let me know what you get! I might be able to help further.

Ah, I should become a college career counselor...

Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 PM

394 posts, read 435,113 times
McDonald's comes to mind if you don't sign up for that lol

The thing is, you just will have to put in your work/effort and "pay your dues" there's really no easy way out of it

Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 PM

101 posts, read 415,715 times
Oops

Last edited by in_my_travels; 08-05-2015 at 10:58 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 PM

87 posts, read 132,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_my_travels View Post
I think skills will determine whether you work weekdays or weekend and/or nights. The more skills you have, the more options you'll have. The less skills, the less options.

If you want to take a look at jobs that are 9 to 5 jobs, take a look at a temp agency's job listings. Two big ones that I've worked with before are Kelly Services Staffing Agencies - Workforce & Staffing Solutions by Kelly Services or Office Team Administrative Jobs & Administrative Staffing | OfficeTeam. Take a look at the jobs and see the hours and days of the week they advertise. These are two really big temp agencies and are nationwide.

What you like to do will dictate the kind of major you should pick. Or to be more exact, your personality will dictate what you are more inclined to want to do. Know yourself and you will know what to do.

First step, take the Myers Briggs test here: Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology
After you take the test, you can search your personality type on the internet. It's very interesting to read about yourself.

Next, take the Holland Code RIASEC test at: Holland Code (RIASEC) Test
This test will/should help you find a course of study to pursue, or lead you in the right direction. Actually, this test is used by a lot of colleges to help students get a feel for the kind of majors they should study.

I'm an IAS, so I would lean towards (in this order) investigative, artistic and social careers. I'm in a social career, but I think I should have stuck with investigative in hindsight. I'm a teacher, but now that I look back on it, I should have stuck with Criminal Justice. I fight for EVERYONE'S rights.

I hope that helps you. The Holland Code test should give you some great insight into a major. Good luck! Take it and let me know what you get! I might be able to help further.

Ah, I should become a college career counselor...
Imma business Major so I hope that helps I hope i didnt make a mistake going into a business major but thanks for helping I like learning the business for a company but I have no idea of what exactly what in business I want to pursue

Old 08-06-2015, 05:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Thread closed for mod review.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.