Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:12 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yep. The college campus where I work in California is now completely smoke free, including outdoor areas on campus.
Oh, how I envy you! The school I work at, which caters to working adults and students from lower-income families, is filled with smokers. Every time I enter or exit a building I have to walk through a cloud of smoke, and the walkways on campus are pretty much lined with smokers, making it very unpleasant to be outside. There are supposed to be designated smoking areas, but everyone ignores them, and it wouldn't help that much anyway since the campus is so small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
At my college it was maybe 1/20 or so smokers until the alcohol came out and it turned to 1/5 or so. For some reason the cool thing to do is smoke while you drink? I don't understand it.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:53 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosk8er View Post
They do it because it looks cool and makes them feel badass duh.
I think you're right, i'm honestly shocked at the immaturity of the people here. The first year students honestly act like 'high' school students.

At night they make terrible noise levels and run up and down the corridors playing chase like children. The other night I actually heard some of them outside in the garden banging pots and pans together.

I know this is probably trivial to you and others but for me this is my first time living in this kind of environment and I am very surprised. I expected people to at least have a minimal amount of maturity about them.. Some of these people can't even cook up a simple dinner like Pasta.

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 10-05-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
My daughter just started her year abroad in the UK....and already she's mentioned more smoking (she mentioned the Asian students as well, but not limited to just them) and that there is much more drinking....and she's hardly a non-drinker herself!
What university does she go to? I bet it's in the SE.

There are quite a lot of Americans here.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I've noticed a lot more young people smoking then I've seen in the past, 18-25ish crowd. It is really disappointing given all of the information out there!! I think that a lot of these kids did not grow up in houses where the parents smoked and really don't know how disgusting it is to smell like smoke all of the time. Growing up, just about everyone smoked, all of my parents friends, my parents, etc. (all college educated, professionals). Public smoking was just fine, people smoked at their desks at work, etc. My generation, hardly anyone smoked and off all of our friends and closer acquaintances, I can think of maybe 2 or 3 that smoke. Our kids know several kids that smoke, however.
It's been the other way in Northern Ireland. Most of my aunts/uncles/grand parents smoked but a lot of them have quit, where I am from the rates of smoking have declined rapidly. I would say about 85% of the people at home are non-smokers.

I did not expect to see too many young people smoking.

Really though, I expected too much of them, I expected their maturity levels to be much higher than it is. I would not classify any of the people who live around me to be 'adults' at the moment.

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 10-05-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Oh, how I envy you! The school I work at, which caters to working adults and students from lower-income families, is filled with smokers. Every time I enter or exit a building I have to walk through a cloud of smoke, and the walkways on campus are pretty much lined with smokers, making it very unpleasant to be outside. There are supposed to be designated smoking areas, but everyone ignores them, and it wouldn't help that much anyway since the campus is so small.
It's annoying isn't it? What irks me the most though, is the fact that they think that we want to be around them. There are so many smokers here who walk around the campus smoking freely everywhere, I don't think there are shelters or areas for them to go to.

I am not used to people smoking freely like this. At home people mostly smoke in shelters and stay away from 'normal' people.

Some are so revoltingly disgusting I can't help but screw my nose up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities