Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:54 PM

50 posts, read 49,229 times

Advertisements

Hi I am sort of new to the college thing as I never went to college but my son will finish his 2 year degree in cyber security this spring with 2 degrees and some certificates and wants to go on to UMBC for computer science. So far, his pell grants and scholarships have paid all his tuition. Very lucky I know. We live about 1 to 2 hours away so he is trying to figure out what to do as he really can't afford to move there but it is a little too far to drive every day. And the rent for anywhere is astronomical. I guess I'm just asking what people usually do in this situation. Get loans or try to get a job with the degree he gets? He doesn't think he can find something on just a 2 year degree but we are in a good area (DC/VA/ MD) for this. I don't know really how to advise him as I never went to college. My advice would be to try and find a job first. He really doesn't want to owe a huge debt so anyways..... Thanks for the help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 01:02 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
His college advisor(s) should be able to help!

Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
I went to College Park but I'll spare you the nickname for BC... but the usual thing is to move into too small a place with too many roommates.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
His college advisor(s) should be able to help!
Yeah you would think so but the advisers at the community college are horrible. They have advised both my son and daughter wrong.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
apply for grants and scholarships that aren't federal / need based but merit based

But being a cyber degree, he can apply for the smart grant, no idea if he'll get it but worse they can do is say no
Academic Competitiveness Grants and National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent (SMART) Grants

and student loans really aren't as bad as people make them out to. Make sure he doesn't take out more loans than he needs and not for "living" money. If he wants to "live", he needs a job. Loans are for tuition only, if he sticks to this, he won't have much.

there are a lot of hospitals out that way, he could work in IT in some department. Larger employers usually have tuition aid for their workers.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:38 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepoker View Post
Hi I am sort of new to the college thing as I never went to college but my son will finish his 2 year degree in cyber security this spring with 2 degrees and some certificates and wants to go on to UMBC for computer science. So far, his pell grants and scholarships have paid all his tuition. Very lucky I know. We live about 1 to 2 hours away so he is trying to figure out what to do as he really can't afford to move there but it is a little too far to drive every day. And the rent for anywhere is astronomical. I guess I'm just asking what people usually do in this situation. Get loans or try to get a job with the degree he gets? He doesn't think he can find something on just a 2 year degree but we are in a good area (DC/VA/ MD) for this. I don't know really how to advise him as I never went to college. My advice would be to try and find a job first. He really doesn't want to owe a huge debt so anyways..... Thanks for the help in advance

Take out loans for the last two years. He needs a bachelors degree. If he lives at the school, he can share an apartment with other students. If you live in a high priced area - California or NY - remember that he is not the only student who is utilizing student loans. People buy automobiles that cost 30 thousand dollars, and don't bat an eye. Two years at your son's 4 year college will cost around - or LESS than that. A car breaks down and is junked, eventually. An education is for life. In fact, if he has a car that he uses to travel to school in now, SELL IT!!! When you live on or close to campus, a car is unnecessary. He can walk or take public transportation.

Has he tried for academic (merit) scholarships? Is the school that he has selected the only school withing 3 hours of your home? If he is living away, what is 1 to 3 more hours if the cost of living is lower?

If your son is first generation, an ethnic minority, has a special talent or hobby, there are so many available grants that he might qualify for. You may want to explore grants. A few $1000 grants can add up. He can work in the summer. This IS possible.

As an independent college counselor, I have helped many students to find the right college, at the right price. Sometimes parents get "sticker shock" when they look at the price of private colleges.
If you are paying out of pocket, a state school may be the answer.In your case, private schools may be the better option. Private schools give money to students with solid academic backgrounds, associate degrees and a number of situations.

Please feel free to send me a direct message, if you would like further advice. I do not charge any members of City Data for my services.

Best of luck!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 PM

Wow thanks for all the replies. We live in the Southern Maryland area and most anywhere in this area (around DC) is expensive. He does work and always has but when he took on college full time he cut one of his jobs. (he had 2) He is first generation so he gets the pell grant and has not had to go in debt yet. He scours for all the grants and has gotten a few. The program he wants to go into is at UMBC. His girlfriend and I could move up there and help out but I am on a fixed income and can't help a lot. His girlfriend would work, of course. It's just that there is nothing close to this area that isn't at least 1500 a month, even in the bad areas. The college is in Baltimore, part of the University of Maryland.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Whatever program UMBC is offering is not one-of-a-kind. Find a school that offers it or a similar program in cheaper COL area.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
My son has a bachelors degree in cyber-security. He took out some loans but his salary is high enough that he anticipates paying them off within two years. He had more than one job offer when he graduated and the first one came before Thanksgiving of his senior year. GREAT field to be in. His company hires mostly from his college (Champlain College, Burlington VT) and USC.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:56 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepoker View Post
Wow thanks for all the replies. We live in the Southern Maryland area and most anywhere in this area (around DC) is expensive. He does work and always has but when he took on college full time he cut one of his jobs. (he had 2) He is first generation so he gets the pell grant and has not had to go in debt yet. He scours for all the grants and has gotten a few. The program he wants to go into is at UMBC. His girlfriend and I could move up there and help out but I am on a fixed income and can't help a lot. His girlfriend would work, of course. It's just that there is nothing close to this area that isn't at least 1500 a month, even in the bad areas. The college is in Baltimore, part of the University of Maryland.

I'm not sure I understand. Are there no dorms and dining halls there? I know, every kid thinks they want their own apartment, but there are advantages to being in the dorm, like proximity to classes, library, and food. Makes it easier to focus on learning when you don't have to worry about cooking and cleaning so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities