Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that is the problem with so many degree people working at mcdonald, liberal art degree a worthless degree, waste of money
Please canvass a number of McDonalds' where you are, and provide data that illustrates that a statistically significant proportion of employees hold bachelor's degrees in any discipline, let alone just ones under the liberal arts umbrella.

I would be interested in seeing actual data supporting the claim of "so many degree people working at mcdonald."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 04:01 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No such thing as the most valuable college degree. It's what you do with it afterwards.

I studied engineering and the engineering students often laugh at thr dumb business majors... but a lot of those dumb business majors go on to make a lot of money.

Study what you enjoy and be ambitious. If you re not ambitious it doesn't matter what you study
That is cliche. Many engineering majors go on to work in finance, consulting and business administration. People interested in business go into engineering to have a leg up over typical business majors because engineering majors typically have better quant skills, work ethic (their major was a lot harder) and deductive reasoning. Those skills are valued by the business community and most upper tier companies prefer people with engineering backgrounds. You have a big advantage if you have a degree in engineering versus a generic degree in marketing, business administration or management.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post

For instance "basket weaving" from your example. That's not the skill. The skill is creativity as applied to intricate handwork. That's someone who should look for work doing something precise with their hands. That can be anything from a surgeon to a skilled craftsman to a starving artist. Once you know what you are good at, then you think about how much you want to make, what kind of atmosphere you want to work in, and whether the area where you are interested in applying your skills makes sense in light of that. So yes, some people may be better off making thier passion a hobby instead of a job but thier actual job still needs to dovetail with their sweet spot of things they do well & enjoy if they don't want to live a miserable life.
It's just convenient if someone is good at something that pays well and can afford one a high standard of living. What if your only skill is in something that pays awful, are you going to tell someone to settle for that? People should not settle for what they are good at. They should strive for what they want. Almost anything can be practiced and one can develop a skill with time and effort.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's just convenient if someone is good at something that pays well and can afford one a high standard of living. What if your only skill is in something that pays awful, are you going to tell someone to settle for that? People should not settle for what they are good at. They should strive for what they want. Almost anything can be practiced and one can develop a skill with time and effort.
It depends greatly on whether or not you consider having the freedom to pursue your interests to be a matter of settling.

For some, participating in their occupation of choice is important enough to them that they will gladly adjust their lifestyle as necessary in order to make it a realistic goal.

It is very MUCH a matter of striving for what one wants, as you say. The key point, though, is that your assumption appears to be that "what is wanted" is always the highest monetary compensation possible. For some, that's the case, while for others, what's wanted is "a career in _____ field." People aren't all equally motivated by the same factors.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Most valuable degree will need to add certifications and work performance.

'.

Successful sales people often make far more that other occupations. No degree required.

Neighbor gal has no degree, but strong niche clientele in 40 yrs of high dollar, high demand rural Real Estate. She grosses well over a million / yr in commisions. Has done this for decades.

I did the WORK thing in STEM, but made more annual earnings when I utilized my Skilled trades. Neither brought wealth, just were aids to make the banks comfortable to loan me $ for my many side businesses. Work was simple, and never my main focus.

Wage income is NOT a path to wealth. Thus consider a degree that will equip you for life beyond wages. Hint: I just completed another degree, and feel the 'entrepreneur' programs are a huge ploy / disservice to starry eyed students paying big dollars for tuition, and spending years thinking they are 'preparing' to make it BIG.

Best path is to DO IT (build your own company while working / learning by doing.)

<10% of new businesses will make it 5 yrs. very, very few will be a cash cow.

Find a mentor who has done it many times. Then LISTEN and learn, then go out a fail a few times.

Or... go get a 9-5 actuarial job $100k+ not for me... I can't deal with sitting in an office during daylight.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-03-2017 at 06:04 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 11:01 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
So the graduations hang on the wall

But they never really helped us at all

No they never taught us what was real

Iron and coal, and chromium steel

And we're waiting here in Allentown
Billy Joel, 1983.

Amazing, isn't it? Thirty three years later and it's as if people have learned nothing. Old people are still complaining about young people who have gone to school but not learned anything useful.

And then the kids complain that they're still waiting...

Quote:
For the promises our teachers gave
If we worked hard
If we behaved
And we're waiting here in Allentown

Or maybe the kids are alright and this is kinda how it is for most people in most eras. Takes a while to figure things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities