Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times

Advertisements

Post-docing is a career purgatory. It is the equivalent to what permatemps are in industry. There is little benefit to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Post-docing is a career purgatory. It is the equivalent to what permatemps are in industry. There is little benefit to one.
A postdoc is a brief, intense, trial by fire to see if a early career scientist has the tools to make an academic career. If someone tries to turn it into a career in itself, it is not going to work out well. In some fields it is an absolutely critical step in the academic life cycle.

My own postdoc was a fantastic experience. I was trained as a bioanalytical chemist but I postdoc'd for a physicist at a national lab. I was only there for 16 months, but I worked 12 hour days and forced myself to learn a lot of materials science and electrical engineering . We ended up publishing 7 papers, and I was able to give presentations in Hawaii, Korea, and Italy, not to mention nearly a dozen trips to D.C. to present to DOE and military personnel. Most importantly, I was interviewed and hired for the one tenure track academic job that I applied for.

To the OP:
Chemistry can be a great choice of major for a smart and dedicated student. It is not a good choice for someone that wants to get B's and coast to a comfy job. In general, science jobs pay less than health care jobs for individuals of similar academic credentials. A good chemistry student can easily choose to go into health professions upon graduation; I know because I write a dozen of their recommendation letters every year. A smart student with the passion for science can also make a great research career, it is just a bit less scripted than the medical or pharmacy route.

I understand why chemistry can get a bad reputation in some circles, as many of the analytical and synthetic jobs that have historically been high paying have been automated or condensed into simple procedures that can be performed by a relatively inexperienced technician. Research is very competitive, which means that "average" is not going to do very well.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:16 AM

581 posts, read 615,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Going into academia as a tenure track professor (the only way to make a decent living in that field) is nearly impossible. I worked in a lab during graduate school with a very well known professor as my advisor, and two of the PhD's from our group did postdoc's at CalTech and MIT, respectively. One is now a tenure track professor at a well known private university in the midwest, the other, not doing anything in chemistry anymore because he couldn't find a professorship anywhere and didn't want to do another postdoc (as stated above, career purgatory).

I have an MS in organic chem, and if I had to do it all over again and knew then what I know now, I would have gone the ChemEng route. In fact I'm looking into a MSChE at UH program for professional chemists at the age of 38 to give myself a little better career trajectory.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Almost all the career advice I see these days for PhD's in science are for "nontraditional careers" as an acknowledgement of the almost impossible odds of a tenure track job in academia these days (between 0.45-2%).

I almost certainly wouldn't have gone into science either if I knew how terrible the job market was and how appallingly bad the pay has gotten especially with the staffing agencies infesting the profession.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Chemistry is fine, but you have to pick how you want to apply it and focus on that. You can't just get a chemistry degree and see what happens, you need to build towards something specific while in undergrad. And plan on getting a grad degree of some sort so you don't end up a glorified technician.

I do think the process gets easier with a chemical engineering degree (in the sense you don't have to do as much planning ahead) but that doesn't mean a regular chem degree is a dead end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities