Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:29 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times

Advertisements

I have some questions:

1. how important was accreditation for your school?
2. how important was the "brand name" of the school to you?
3. was it worth it? Was it worth the time, money, etc...
4. did earning the MBA advance your career further than if you had not earned the MBA?
5. did you manage to network with the MBA program?
6. how did you finance your MBA?

My situation is that I have the GI Bill to pay for it. I've been out of school for 11 years and majored in criminal justice and psychology. While I have taken some business classes, it's been quite some time and I believe being a non-business major, I would have to take prep classes.

Why am I doing it? For a variety of reasons. Now that I'm off active duty, I have the time to do it, I've been looking at online programs only. I'm not fond of the local program offered here at the University of Central Florida, but it is one of the largest schools in the country by enrollment. I guess the school doesn't strike me as being "brand name" enough if that makes any sense. I would imagine the networking opportunities would be great since we plan on making this our permanent home.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 12:56 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
From what I've read, a degree from any online school (e.g., university of phoenix) isn't worth the money.

I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the rest.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
From what I've read, a degree from any online school (e.g., university of phoenix) isn't worth the money.

I should've revised my original post.

By online, I will do it at a reputable university through their online program. Definitely not going to throw my money away to Phoenix University or American Military University.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I have some questions:

4. did earning the MBA advance your career further than if you had not earned the MBA?

My situation is that I have the GI Bill to pay for it. I've been out of school for 11 years and majored in criminal justice and psychology. While I have taken some business classes, it's been quite some time and I believe being a non-business major, I would have to take prep classes.

Why am I doing it? For a variety of reasons. Now that I'm off active duty, I have the time to do it, I've been looking at online programs only. I'm not fond of the local program offered here at the University of Central Florida, but it is one of the largest schools in the country by enrollment. I guess the school doesn't strike me as being "brand name" enough if that makes any sense. I would imagine the networking opportunities would be great since we plan on making this our permanent home.

1. Well, assuming AACSB, it is not some overly strict standard or anything, it sort of sets a minimum, so while in itself is not important, I and maybe others would wonder why a person could not get into an accredited MBA program. At that, I would not have gone nor my employer pay for it if it was not accredited. But this accreditation is nothing for example, compared to those regional accreditation for universities, which is critical.

2. I went to UNC, I was targeting a t25 type program. Name in the MBA world matters, but regional schools have pull as well, like FIU in Miami. Also, your work experience matters and can help open some doors for you. Just because you may not get into a t25, or even t50 does not mean doors are closed, there are numerous other ways to leverage your education and skills.

3. My employer paid for mine, but I would have paid for it myself if I had to. it was well worth it, it is sort of a "check the box thing" for advancement. yea, work experience is good, but there are people I was competing with that have experience and an MBA, so I went and got mine, it worked out well for me.

4. Yes, I would not have advanced into the senior management ranks without one. Sure, I have great experience, but so do others, and they have MBAs. It is competitive as you go up the ladder. I got advanced the day I received my MBA, and advanced quickly after that (helped out due to others screwing up/retirements).

5. I did not really network, I am not really the type. I already had a solid work history and knew who I needed to know in my industry. The other students did not interest me, but I am sure I would have networked with them if there was someone of interest.

6. My company paid for it. If they did not, I was going to take out loans to pay for it. Small investment for such a large return.

I am not a business major either, but I do have a solid understanding of math and stats.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:27 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Not at all. But it was 1977.
Semi. I went to Babson because it had a night program and a better rep than Bentley. Harvard was out as I was working full time.
Yes. Did not get me more money, but did help me get some jobs. I did not really pursue money as I was making enough in the computer biz. The time input was meaningless as I did it at night, I had no children, it was intellectually easy after getting 2 engineering degrees.
Yes. A bit.
No. Did not bother. If I were doing it today, I would network a lot.
Employer paid for everything. Tuition, books, fees.
I think brand is important but only between tiers and not between individual schools.
For example: Harvard vs Stanford. Top tier. Does not matter which school.
For example: Virginia vs Ohio. In the middle. Does not matter which school.
For example: Phoenix vs AMU. Junk tier. Does not matter which school.

I think cost benefit is important in that you should avoid student loan debt.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I would ask, are you more interested in management, business (yes get MBA) or are you more interested in doing technical work (probably better another degree - how about Masters in Engineering Physics?)

Do you want to be Arthur, or Merlin?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post

I read online programs in the OP, not online schools. Plus, University of Phoenix is not an online school. You can complete whole degree programs in person. University of Phoenix is a non-traditional, for-profit school, if that's what you mean.

There are plenty of traditional universities with online programs. While this ultimately may not matter to most people, I strongly recommend regional accreditation. It's also nice for the program to be AACSB-accredited, but most employers don't care.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
the value of MBA really depends on your future field / growth opportunities / need for 'strategy and management' (Both can be helpful)

The MBA networking is very key for job / alumni opportunities. (start-ups / investment)
Top tier would be a benefit (if you have a length of future career / earnings that would cover the MUCH higher costs. (as much as 5x)

MBA can get you into the door of a college / Jr college to teach.
Can help with your investments and your own businesses.

Nice if it is free!

You might be disappointed in the level of profs and cohort students these days.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
A recent hire of mine had a fresh MBA. It's not required for the position, so of course, the accreditation and "brand name" of the school were irrelevant. Starting at $26/hour, he's now at about $30 with a recent promotion, but the MBA had nothing to do with it. I promoted him based on his experience and performance. When I hired him, it was because of the experience he gained working in the field while in graduate school, which is how he financed it without going into debt. In fact, he bought a 4-plex in Seattle about a year after starting here, his tenants make 85% of the mortgage payment. I would expect the MBA to come into play in a few years when he has enough experience to qualify for higher level (management) jobs.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 AM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
I have some questions:

My situation is that I have the GI Bill to 2pay for it. I've been out of school for 11 years and majored in criminal justice and psychology. While I have taken some business classes, it's been quite some time and I believe being a non-business major, I would have to take prep classes.

First, let me thank you for your service to our country & community. As for your questions, I earned my MBA in 1983 so that hopefully gives you some perspective.

1. Very important. At that time, both FIU & FAU were seeking accreditation & UM had long been accredited. I took prerequisites at all 3 schools & the best fit for me was UM, which was how I was leaning anyways. The program was more practical rather than theoretical like the other two.
2. Very important. At that time, UM had the more prestigious name out of the 3 schools. Today, I think both FAU & FIU continue to make strides and now have accredited programs so the differences, if any, are not as great.
3. Yes, definitely worth it. I was promoted into management positions & the MBA was an asset in helping me eventually change careers again from HR management to financial services. I made tons more money & if my projections hold true, I will have a comfortable retirement. That MBA was far more important than my undergraduate degree.
4. Yes, IMHO, see above.
5. No, I didn't network--in hindsight I should have done that, but as I approach the twilight of my career, it all turned out IK after all.
6. Student loans & employer grants. I paid off the loans in about 2 years or so after graduation due to my promotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities