Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,404,756 times

Advertisements

As a former hiring manager in an accounting field (I've interviewed entry-level candidates for Big 4 and for large corporations; I no longer hire entry-level though), I can tell you two things with certainty- 1. the school you went to definitely matters, but 2. nobody cares who the school is accredited by.

If you go to a top tier school, you open top tier doors. If you go to a middle-ranked school, you may not get to interview at the top companies/firms though you may have a shot if you do really really well and work hard to get in front of the right people. If you go to a terrible college, you'll probably need to "wash" your resume by getting your extra 30 hours from a well-ranked or well-known MSA/MST program, and your GPA will be under very close scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 03:22 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
As a former hiring manager in an accounting field (I've interviewed entry-level candidates for Big 4 and for large corporations; I no longer hire entry-level though), I can tell you two things with certainty- 1. the school you went to definitely matters, but 2. nobody cares who the school is accredited by.

If you go to a top tier school, you open top tier doors. If you go to a middle-ranked school, you may not get to interview at the top companies/firms though you may have a shot if you do really really well and work hard to get in front of the right people. If you go to a terrible college, you'll probably need to "wash" your resume by getting your extra 30 hours from a well-ranked or well-known MSA/MST program, and your GPA will be under very close scrutiny.
This is what I figured. Employers rarely check for programmatic accreditation in a lot of fields. If a job requires a license, you either meet the licensing requirements or you don't. It just so happens that most top-ranked schools go through the process of earning programmatic accreditation. It makes people think that employers care about accreditation when they really just care about the school's rank. A lot of low-ranked and unranked schools have AACSB accreditation, so it's nothing special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities