Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I had always striven to be the best that I could. I always tried to challenge myself and set myself apart. I graduated 3rd in my HS class and took on a variety of extra-curricular activities, including a PT job. When it came to choosing a university to go to, I chose to complete my education at a top tier university because I thought it'd make a significant difference in my career trajectory. Boy, was I wrong.

While I can't say for certain whether where I went to school made any difference in the hiring process, I feel like it has done very little to set me apart or boost my career trajectory. Throughout my professional career in Corporate America, I've seen people with lesser pedigrees rise to the top of groups or organizations. People with UPhoenix MBAs and other for-profit educations. Even where I currently work, I've been passed over for many an opportunity. The management role that I have applied to in the past (a couple of years ago) is now held by a person with a BA from a much lower ranked "party school" who has much less experience than I do. The thing that set her apart was that she was in tight with a key decision maker; I was not. Nobody has ever mentioned where I went to school in a job interview.

At the end of the day, in Corporate America, it really seems that it's all about who you know and not what you know. Maybe it's different in academia or other industries, where your pedigree and body of work mean more. Bottom line is that if I knew then what I knew now, I think I would have sought out the most cost effective option at some 2nd or 3rd tier university. I feel like my experience at the top uni was a complete waste in terms of making a difference or setting me apart from the rest of the pack.

It's really disappointing, because we all make decisions that we think will best serve our interests. And when I chose which school to attend, I chose the best that I could get into because I thought it would best serve my interests. Meanwhile, it seems like I could have spent more time socializing at a 3rd tier party school and would have been better off than dedicating myself to the "premium-cost" option at a top tier school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 12:05 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
The "I wanna be the best" attitude will only take you so far, as you've noticed. Enlightened bosses are look for a cooperative, "let's get this accomplished together with all available brains" outlook. That leaves out the rugged individualists like yourself.

"...when I chose which school to attend, I chose the best that I could get into because I thought it would best serve my interests. Meanwhile, it seems like I could have spent more time socializing at a 3rd tier party school..."

When finally out in the working world, most people don't care about school status.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
There were plenty of people at my state school who were offered admission at Harvard, Stanford, etc, who picked my school bc of the piles of money thrown at them. They still excelled and still came out as competent and hard-working.

Maybe you're resting too hard on name recognition and aren't hungry enough anymore.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

While I can't say for certain whether where I went to school made any difference in the hiring process, I feel like it has done very little to set me apart or boost my career trajectory. Throughout my professional career in Corporate America, I've seen people with lesser pedigrees rise to the top of groups or organizations. People with UPhoenix MBAs and other for-profit educations. Even where I currently work, I've been passed over for many an opportunity. The management role that I have applied to in the past (a couple of years ago) is now held by a person with a BA from a much lower ranked "party school" who has much less experience than I do. The thing that set her apart was that she was in tight with a key decision maker; I was not. Nobody has ever mentioned where I went to school in a job interview.
Everything you need to know is in this paragraph. The top-tier school name will get you in the door, but after that, it's all about job performance. Sure, it might also have to do with who you know, but that's not all it is. If you've been out of school more than a couple of years, no one cares what school you went to--what they care about is how well you do the work you've been assigned.

Where I work we have several prestigious year-long internship positions which are usually filled by graduates of top-tier universities. It only takes a couple of months to see who is going to get here early, do the work assigned, ask questions, and stay late when needed. The degree doesn't carry much weight at all when the work has to be taken and redone by one of us old-timers with a less prestigious degree.

So congratulations on getting into a really great school, but now you're being measured on what you bring to the workplace.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 PM

I find it insulting that the automatic assumption is that I have suddenly become a slacker, as if a magical switch turned off and I no longer strive for the best. You’ve essentially distrgarded all of the hard work that I’ve put forth in my career and in my current role. I come in before my managers and often stay later to get not only my job done, but to help others get theirs done. And I have a superb reputation with my co workers as a reliable and hard working associate. So what am I missing?

I also find it naive to think that people are strictly measured on merit alone. Anyone who has worked in Corporate America, not having their head buried in the proverbial dirt, should know otherwise.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
For me the top school qualification gets me interviews. Almost always. Anywhere in the country. However, that is it. Getting the job has always been up to other factors and sometimes I lost out on a job to people with a "lesser" pedigree.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-03-2018 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Going to a top school is an immense help in getting your first job, but as has already been said, once in the job, it’s up to you. The rule of thumb: The first year, work to fit in. After the first year, work to stand out. If you have done that and are still going nowhere, it’s time to polish up the resume and seek greener pastures.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
For me the top school qualification gets me interviews. Almost always. Anywhere in the country. However, that is it. Getting the job has always been up to other factors and sometimes I lost out on a job to people with a "lesser" pedigree.
I think we have the same alma mater.

Knowing what you know now, do you regret having gone there? Assuming you paid for school, and it wasn't completely paid for.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-03-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Going to a top school is an immense help in getting your first job, but as has already been said, once in the job, it’s up to you. The rule of thumb: The first year, work to fit in. After the first year, work to stand out. If you have done that and are still going nowhere, it’s time to polish up the resume and seek greener pastures.
This has basically been my philosophy as well. It's extremely frustrating to be passed over time and time again for internal promotion when you're told that you're an excellent asset to the team. If that's the case, then why no push for advancement? All of my promotions have come as a result of jumping ship.

Last edited by Left-handed; 02-28-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
This has basically been my philosophy as well. It's extremely frustrating to be passed over time and time again for internal promotion when you're told that you're an excellent asset to the team. If that's the case, then why no push for advancement? All of my promotions have come as a result of jumping ship.
When there is only a certain number of positions at various levels, one can be "an excellent asset to the team" and still not be the most qualified for the promotion if there are others also applying. Among my current direct reports there are 3 that all got the same excellent performance rating. If there were one higher position open I would not be able to base my selection solely on performance. Which school they went to for their degree would not a factor, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities