Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,400,043 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at coding programs at both local colleges and trade schools. Do they require that you have references before being accepted into their programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 08:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've been looking at coding programs at both local colleges and trade schools. Do they require that you have references before being accepted into their programs?
Have you checked the admission criteria? It should outline what is needed.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 AM

Almost every college program these days requires letters of reference. I can't find anything that doesn't. You can't even get into a basket weaving program, it seems, without letters of reference.

My situation is that I haven't worked full time in years, and my college was over 20 years ago. I really don't have employer or professor references. But I don't want to chuck the idea of going back to school. I'd just rather not jump through these hoops just to take classes.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,073 times
Quote:
Almost every college program these days requires letters of reference. I can't find anything that doesn't. You can't even get into a basket weaving program, it seems, without letters of reference.

My situation is that I haven't worked full time in years, and my college was over 20 years ago. I really don't have employer or professor references. But I don't want to chuck the idea of going back to school. I'd just rather not jump through these hoops just to take classes.
Question answered.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:56 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,783,609 times
Of course find out specifically what the school is asking for in an application, which should be easy to do.

But assuming you've been a SAHM for years, have you done any volunteer work at your kids' school, run anything at your church, or been involved in any civic or charitable organizations? Have you worked on a local political campaign or been active in any neighborhood groups? If so, people involved in these activities could write a letter of recommendation that might suffice and testify to your "grown-up" skills as opposed to your academic ones. Even part-time employers can do this for you.

The other thing is that you could first take an inexpensive course or two at your local community college, do well, and get your teachers from there to write a letter on your behalf.

And it should go without saying that you should make sure that you really like computer coding. It can earn you good money, but it can also be an extremely tedious, monotonous, and detail-laden desk job. Make sure you're cut out for that.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The other thing is that you could first take an inexpensive course or two at your local community college, do well, and get your teachers from there to write a letter on your behalf. .
Thanks.

I am calling some programs now and asking if they require references. I'm telling them I won't apply if it's a requirement. I am looking at taking courses through Google, as well. As much as I'm skeptical of trade schools, I'm going to consider them since they don't seem to require letters. My local community college requires multiple letters of reference for every single program, whether it's healthcare, arts, teaching, real estate, whatever. I know some people who can't get in or won't apply because of this requirement. Lots of people return to school after years of being out of the workforce. Or they might only have one person who can give them a reference. These schools are wanting 3 references, typically.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
. My local community college requires multiple letters of reference for every single program, whether it's healthcare, arts, teaching, real estate, whatever. I know some people who can't get in or won't apply because of this requirement.
Can you take 1 or 2 classes without declaring a major? Tell them you want to take a couple courses and you don't want to declare a major. Or start out with 1 course. Then take a 2nd course the next semester. Each time, ask your teacher to be a reference. Then you have 2 references.

Find some local volunteer agencies in your area. Read the local newspaper for upcoming volunteer activities. Sign up,especially if it's a short 1-day event such as sprucing up a local park or running the hot dog stand for a local Non Profit at the local fair. Keep track of names of leaders and volunteer coordinators. Use these people for references.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:07 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,727,120 times
Do they just want names for references or do they want someone to write an actual letter of reference for you?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Do they just want names for references or do they want someone to write an actual letter of reference for you?
They want an actual letter and it must be from a former employer or a professor. Not any volunteer work and not any personal friends.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Can you take 1 or 2 classes without declaring a major? Tell them you want to take a couple courses and you don't want to declare a major. Or start out with 1 course. Then take a 2nd course the next semester. Each time, ask your teacher to be a reference. Then you have 2 references.
This. OP, you are putting the cart before the horse. Take as many classes as a non matriculated student as you can (usually 2-3) to see if you even like coding/IT. Do well in the class's and if you decide to matriculate either get your profs to be references or request a waiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities