Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How would you consider an English professor, who would give an F to papers that used words he considered sexist. Pronouns for example. Ever try writing a paper where the only acceptable pronouns are "they" and "their" and "it" even when talking about a singular person? Or where the word "human" or "woman" is unacceptable because it has the word "man" in it? That was my first semester freshman English class 40 years ago, so the SJW types have been around a long time and have gotten worse. My "D" in that course had nothing to do with content and everything to do with his SJW tendencies.
I'll bet that hu-person teaching the class sure did not turn into a sad spinster.

One of the saddest interviews I've seen recently is of a British feminist in her mid-70s speaking about the regrets she has giving her life to fightin' the PATRIARCHY. Now she's old, no partner, no kids, no grandkids and sees other people with all those things. You would think at some point these poor sods would catch on to the fact that about three-quarters of the stuff they do in accordance with this demented ideology ends up benefiting men, not women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I'll bet that hu-person teaching the class sure did not turn into a sad spinster.

One of the saddest interviews I've seen recently is of a British feminist in her mid-70s speaking about the regrets she has giving her life to fightin' the PATRIARCHY. Now she's old, no partner, no kids, no grandkids and sees other people with all those things. You would think at some point these poor sods would catch on to the fact that about three-quarters of the stuff they do in accordance with this demented ideology ends up benefiting men, not women.
This can happen to activists of all kinds, not just feminists. Some people don't know how to think of themselves.

With that said, there are plenty of women who were never feminists who never got married, or never had kids. Some women have fertility problems.

Not everyone is going to have kids or get married, for a variety of reasons.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
I've long believed that when the mullahs unleash large-scale violence on the West, it won't be the Christian fundamentalists who they behead first. They'll hate those apostates too, but there will a modicum of respect for folks who held true to their Abrahamic religious beliefs. No, the first ones they will behead will be the secular "allies" to Radical Islam. They will have zero respect for those types and will kill them first for their inherent wimpiness and transparent attempts to be, as the kids call them, "white knights."
Meaning you want the Islamic fundamentalists to do your dirty work for you. The problem is they are incapable of launching large scale violence against the West. The Islamic world hasn't won battles against the West in a long time.

If 200 million Arabs cannot defeat 9 million Jews, them taking on the rest of the West just isn't going to happen.

And to be honest fair, lots of Arabs and Muslims like the West. Modernity. New technology. While all Islamic fundamentalism offers is stone age backwardness.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are no such thing, except courses on the history of Marxism, in Russia and E Europe Studies departments, and possibly in a specialized course in Latin American Studies. These are courses for people planning careers in US government service, though--highly specialized, career-track courses, not for general survey course requirements.
Completely not true. I've had to read books that dealt with marxism in English education and even in English literature.

With that said, something is very wrong with the OP if he falls apart at the very concept of being presented different ideas from what he's used to.

That means he doesn't belong at a college at all, unless it's some sort of Christian Jerry Faldwell college.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This can happen to activists of all kinds, not just feminists. Some people don't know how to think of themselves.

With that said, there are plenty of women who were never feminists who never got married, or never had kids. Some women have fertility problems.

Not everyone is going to have kids or get married, for a variety of reasons.
Agreed, but those other folks generally are not driven to make these life choices by a political ideology.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Meaning you want the Islamic fundamentalists to do your dirty work for you. The problem is they are incapable of launching large scale violence against the West. The Islamic world hasn't won battles against the West in a long time.

If 200 million Arabs cannot defeat 9 million Jews, them taking on the rest of the West just isn't going to happen.

And to be honest fair, lots of Arabs and Muslims like the West. Modernity. New technology. While all Islamic fundamentalism offers is stone age backwardness.
Yep, I want secularists dead! Well done!

Old 07-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Completely not true. I've had to read books that dealt with marxism in English education and even in English literature.

With that said, something is very wrong with the OP if he falls apart at the very concept of being presented different ideas from what he's used to.

That means he doesn't belong at a college at all, unless it's some sort of Christian Jerry Faldwell college.
Would you say every idea is worthy of being taught in college classrooms?

You do get that some of us here have no objections to Marxism being taught, yes? Do you know that Marxism is separate from intersectionality, safe space, implicit bias, white privilege theories and the like?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How would you consider an English professor, who would give an F to papers that used words he considered sexist. Pronouns for example. Ever try writing a paper where the only acceptable pronouns are "they" and "their" and "it" even when talking about a singular person? Or where the word "human" or "woman" is unacceptable because it has the word "man" in it? That was my first semester freshman English class 40 years ago, so the SJW types have been around a long time and have gotten worse. My "D" in that course had nothing to do with content and everything to do with his SJW tendencies.
You must have gone to a very progressive university 40 years ago to encounter that kind of modern "political correctness" in your English 101 class, so it shouldn't have been that surprising. May I ask where you went?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:

You do get that some of us here have no objections to Marxism being taught, yes? Do you know that Marxism is separate from intersectionality, safe space, implicit bias, white privilege theories and the like?
I would say every idea is worthy of being discussed in college classrooms, yes.

Just because people talk about those varying ideologies in classrooms doesn't always mean they believe in them (sometimes they do), nor it is necessarily meant for you to take these ideologies and run your life around them. The goal is to get people to THINK!

Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Re: white privilege, it exists and a lot of people criticizing those theories are just not aware of it.

First of all, the US is a very advanced country. If one wants access to the European Union, being that European nations grant citizenship by blood, anyone with a parent or grandparent from whatever European nation can get citizenship that way.

I'm African American. But an ancestor of mine was a Jewish slaveowner. Since I have his last name, I'm applying for Spanish citizenship (I live in Barcelona, Spain). Anyone descended from Sephardic Jews can get Spanish or Portuguese citizenship.

So even having a distant European Jewish ancestor makes gets me Spanish citizenship. Someone with no Spanish ancestor or historical connection to Spain would have a much harder time getting citizenship here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities