Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times

Advertisements

Easy. There are more dental offices than there are mortuaries so higher odds of getting a job in any town.
Social work will burn you out before your 30's and the hours are murder, so is the guilt you are going to feel when you can't spread yourself around to everyone who needs your full attention, especially if something bad happens to them because of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 PM

52 posts, read 20,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I recently had my teeth cleaned and was thinking what a difficult job a dental hygienist has. First of all, you have to deal with bad breath, enough said! Then you have to be very precise and careful as you clean someone's teeth. You can easily hurt someone by poking in the wrong spot. My hygienist usually causes some pain, but I think she tries hard to be careful. It is not the kind of job you want when you're having a bad day.

Regarding social work, I think it is extremely difficult to get a job without a master's degree. These jobs usually don't pay well and the clientele would be challenging.

Regarding mortuary science, most funeral homes are being bought up by chains. The days of running your own funeral home are disappearing.
I don't want to run my own funeral home and yes you do need at least a Master's Degree in Social Work in order to get a decent paying job. But you can start working in the field with a Bachelor's Degree. And depending on what route you take it could take five years to get a Master's Degree.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Easy. There are more dental offices than there are mortuaries so higher odds of getting a job in any town.
Social work will burn you out before your 30's and the hours are murder, so is the guilt you are going to feel when you can't spread yourself around to everyone who needs your full attention, especially if something bad happens to them because of you.
I'm already in my 30's.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:16 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
Have you thought about pharmacy technician, or pharmacist?

Old 08-27-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Have you thought about pharmacy technician, or pharmacist?
I'm not really good at math and I don't think Pharmacy Technician is really a career.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:01 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,013,733 times
These careers are so different... surely they can't be equally appealing to you?
Please go with the one you think you'll like best, and don't be concerned as much
about comparing the times it takes to get trained and certificated.

When I was a kid, I was interested in airlines and airliners (still am).
But as I got older, I followed the herd, and somehow ended up in civil service.
The work was okay, but not engaging... and something you spend so much time doing
ought to be engaging.

So don't make the mistake I made.... find work you actually enjoy,
maybe one of those three.... or maybe some other option.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:43 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
If I were living life over again I'd do Mortuary Science. I looked into it at one point but there wasn't a school close by and I wasn't in a position to relocate.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:54 PM

6,470 posts, read 3,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_87 View Post
Unfortunately that's not how it works when working as a Mortician you can't only work night shifts and weekends lol.
And one has to sleep some time...

(But I bet in most fields, someone who voluntarily works nights and weekends is unlikely to have anyone argue with them about it...)

Old 08-28-2020, 09:05 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,263,615 times
Mortuary Science is the route I would go. No way I would advise anyone to go the social worker route. No way.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:54 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,780 times
Here is some useful information:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/d...hygienists.htm

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-an...al-workers.htm

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-car...ccupations.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities