Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 11:50 AM

50,857 posts, read 36,551,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_87 View Post
I spoke to someone who has a Master's Degree in Social Work and she told me she makes decent money. I know you need people skills to be a Social Worker. But it's the same for Mortuary Science you deal with grieving family members so you are like a counselor. And for Dental Hygiene many of the patients like to talk about their problems during their appointments.
Well, it's pretty hard for patients to talk while you have your fingers and tools in their mouths! yes, you need people skills for all those jobs, but like I said social work is the only one of the 3 where you will deal with angry people on a fairly regular basis, and people who refuse to accept what you are saying. I have excellent customer relation skills, but I am not good at being assertive in the face of screaming family members who are PO'd that their mother was cut and has to come home before she can walk. And I know I would be too afraid to go to poor neighborhood and confront people about taking their kids. It's really a very different set of people skills than you will need in mortuary science or dental hygiene.

What area does your friend work in?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 01:11 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,013,733 times
Default a few observations

If you were a social worker for e.g. a county, you'd probably get good benefits (health coverage, pension),
even if the pay wasn't great. But would you be okay with lots of drama every day?

Is it possible you could get a job as an office assistant at a funeral home w/o any training?
That would give you a chance to see what the business is like.
And of course you'd get valuable advice on where to get trained, how the industry is evolving, etc.

Working in health care isn't always the best thing for your own health.
My dentist reduced his work hours -- and eventually retired -- because of back problems
(he had a long career, though... it's not like he had to quit at 45).
Spending hours every day standing in one position and looking down into peoples' mouths
isn't a good posture. So if you go into dental hygiene, get yourself a chiropractor to care for
your neck and back.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:18 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,789,310 times
Hands down, Mortuary Science. You could eventually be your own boss, you'd make an excellent living, and if you're a decent person and an honest businessman, you would be helping each and every grieving person who comes into your place of business. Honestly, someone who thinks of becoming a social worker would make a fantastic Mortician. Go for it!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:22 PM

1,271 posts, read 564,227 times
Mortuary science. I have my funeral director license, and even after ending up in a government job, it provides a marketable skill for a second income when time allows.

As others have mentioned, you could eventually become your own boss owning an independent funeral home, or work your way up the ladder in one of the corporate chains. There are also related fields that could end up recruiting you for your experience, like teaching or even organ donation services.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:47 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,830 times
I don't think any of these three is a great choice.

Social work usually requires an advanced degree and does not pay well relative to the stress and education required. I have two friends who work for LA county and their work is very depressing because they deal with terrible things on a daily basis and their hands are often tied with what they can actually do. Now, they do get good benefits and eventually a pension so there's that.

Being a dental hygienist is a good job but it also requires a degree. You said you didn't like math but there's plenty of that in this major. I also have a friend who is a hygienist and she does well but she also likes to take extra shifts. Hygienists often work independently, meaning they don't have a full-time job with just one dentist. So you might have to work as a contractor which means no benefits or retirement.

Mortuary science is a solid choice, but as someone said, I see the days of big funerals waning. My mother had a traditional funeral a few years ago and for a long time we got comments about how nice it was. We realized it's because pretty much no one has a funeral like that anymore (with a separate viewing, casket in a church, casket spray, other flowers, graveside burial, etc). Instead people get cremated and have a casual get-together at a house then an ashes sprinkling later on. If you think about it the money is made in the embalming, casket purchase, and burial plot. With the rise of cremation all of that income is gone.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:09 AM

52 posts, read 20,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Mortuary science. I have my funeral director license, and even after ending up in a government job, it provides a marketable skill for a second income when time allows.

As others have mentioned, you could eventually become your own boss owning an independent funeral home, or work your way up the ladder in one of the corporate chains. There are also related fields that could end up recruiting you for your experience, like teaching or even organ donation services.
I understand what you are saying but I don't want to own a Funeral Home. Teaching or organ donation services would be nice though.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I don't think any of these three is a great choice.

Social work usually requires an advanced degree and does not pay well relative to the stress and education required. I have two friends who work for LA county and their work is very depressing because they deal with terrible things on a daily basis and their hands are often tied with what they can actually do. Now, they do get good benefits and eventually a pension so there's that.

Being a dental hygienist is a good job but it also requires a degree. You said you didn't like math but there's plenty of that in this major. I also have a friend who is a hygienist and she does well but she also likes to take extra shifts. Hygienists often work independently, meaning they don't have a full-time job with just one dentist. So you might have to work as a contractor which means no benefits or retirement.

Mortuary science is a solid choice, but as someone said, I see the days of big funerals waning. My mother had a traditional funeral a few years ago and for a long time we got comments about how nice it was. We realized it's because pretty much no one has a funeral like that anymore (with a separate viewing, casket in a church, casket spray, other flowers, graveside burial, etc). Instead people get cremated and have a casual get-together at a house then an ashes sprinkling later on. If you think about it the money is made in the embalming, casket purchase, and burial plot. With the rise of cremation all of that income is gone.
There will always be money in Funeral Service because people will always die. Even if there is a decline in traditional funerals I could also work in a crematory.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Hands down, Mortuary Science. You could eventually be your own boss, you'd make an excellent living, and if you're a decent person and an honest businessman, you would be helping each and every grieving person who comes into your place of business. Honestly, someone who thinks of becoming a social worker would make a fantastic Mortician. Go for it!
I'll think more about Mortuary Science I don't start school until January. When you say be your own boss do you mean owning a funeral home? That's not something that I'm really interested in doing.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_87 View Post
I'll think more about Mortuary Science I don't start school until January. When you say be your own boss do you mean owning a funeral home? That's not something that I'm really interested in doing.
in Your research spend some time on Funerals.coop (for options)

Also the green / composting EOL options in WA State.

None of this will 'disrupt' the funeral industry, but there are seas of change.
It is always good to 'be informed' of alternatives and options (for your clients).

I suspect the change will be pretty significant in next generation (Length of your career). If you are keen on joining the change, you could provide significant contributions to the public. But... your peers may object.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:07 AM

130,511 posts, read 12,138,084 times
IMO, only people who feel a calling to Social work should consider the field. It must be such a grueling job. Removing children from homes cannot be an easy thing to do.

I can't imagine looking in peoples mouths all day long, looking for food particles. Ick!

So that leaves working with the dead. probably the best of the three, but only you can decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities