Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 07:47 AM

729 posts, read 538,265 times

Advertisements

For a fun ride watch the horror film "The Autopsy of Jane Doe". It's obviously not realistic, but so what? If you can watch it through the end, then go for Mortuary Science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 09:27 AM

8,152 posts, read 7,537,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_87 View Post
I'm already in my 30's.
No offense but your OP question seems really loopy. The 3 jobs you list are wildly different from each other and I don't think you would be good at any of them.

You probably have an interesting, quirky personality but I suspect you are not very focused. Use that to your advantage and become a waitress or bartender. My son is a waiter and he makes pretty good money. Bartenders can make even more.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:33 AM

52 posts, read 20,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No offense but your OP question seems really loopy. The 3 jobs you list are wildly different from each other and I don't think you would be good at any of them.

You probably have an interesting, quirky personality but I suspect you are not very focused. Use that to your advantage and become a waitress or bartender. My son is a waiter and he makes pretty good money. Bartenders can make even more.
I seem loopy because I listed 3 different jobs that are different? It's called being interested in different things. I don't care what you think about me you don't know me to assume anything about me or judge me. You don't think I would be good at any of them? You sound absolutely insane I know what I am capable of keep your negative irrelevant comments to yourself.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Mortuary Science is the route I would go. No way I would advise anyone to go the social worker route. No way.
Why would you advise against Social Work? I'm curious.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
These careers are so different... surely they can't be equally appealing to you?
Please go with the one you think you'll like best, and don't be concerned as much
about comparing the times it takes to get trained and certificated.

When I was a kid, I was interested in airlines and airliners (still am).
But as I got older, I followed the herd, and somehow ended up in civil service.
The work was okay, but not engaging... and something you spend so much time doing
ought to be engaging.

So don't make the mistake I made.... find work you actually enjoy,
maybe one of those three.... or maybe some other option.
Yes I agree all of these careers are different and I am interested in each field for different reasons. But I feel that Social Work would be the most fulfilling. I enjoy helping people and I have always been around those who have been less fortunate. I just worry because I know some people say Social Workers don't make much money. But with a Master's degree I think it's possible.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:50 AM

51,205 posts, read 36,886,257 times
Quote:
I enjoy helping others and learning about different things and I need variety in my career. I know Dental Hygiene would pay the most but I think I would eventually get bored with the job. With all the prerequisite classes it takes four years for Dental Hygiene. It takes at least five years to become a Social Worker if you do advanced standing. I like Social Work because I would be able to do different things and have variety. I could start working in the field with a Bachelors degree. With Mortuary Science it's only three years going full time. I'm in my early 30's I don't know if my age would make a difference.
Social work is going to have the lowest pay and the most working on your own time as well as high stress. jobs are probably going to be scarce for a while if you want a state job as states are broke from Covid right now. Dental hygiene is a very well paying field. I don't know anything about mortuary science but it's certainly a recession-proof field.

What do you enjoy, and what are your strengths and weak areas? Are you assertive with excellent people skills? You would need those qualities for social work (as well as a thick skin) not so much for dental hygiene. List what you are naturally good at before you decide.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes I agree all of these careers are different and I am interested in each field for different reasons. But I feel that Social Work would be the most fulfilling. I enjoy helping people and I have always been around those who have been less fortunate. I just worry because I know some people say Social Workers don't make much money. But with a Master's degree I think it's possible.
Social workers that work for others (the state, nursing home, etc) won't pay much regardless of degree. But with a masters you could go in business for yourself as a counselor. Again, where do your strengths lie? I liked helping people too, and became an occupational therapist. But I'd have made a bad nurse. I think I would enjoy social work in some ways, but you have to know you're going to encounter a lot of angry people in the day to day of your job. Our social workers in the nursing homes I work in are tasked with telling people they can't go home again, telling families they don't recommend discharge or that they are getting cut from therapy. It takes a thick skin and an ability to be firm and stand up to people in a professional way, which I am not the best at.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I seem loopy because I listed 3 different jobs that are different? It's called being interested in different things. I don't care what you think about me you don't know me to assume anything about me or judge me. You don't think I would be good at any of them? You sound absolutely insane I know what I am capable of keep your negative irrelevant comments to yourself.
Maybe what she meant is they require completely different skill sets. Do you have the skill sets for all of them? Nothing is worse than going through years of schooling to find you're not actually cut out for the job you chose.

OT schools require prospective students to volunteer in different therapy settings so we knew what it was really like. I would call around and see if you can do something similar. Even if you could just shadow someone in these fields for a few days. I can tell you with absolute certainty that the actual field of OT was NOTHING like what I thought it was going to be.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Social workers that work for others (the state, nursing home, etc) won't pay much regardless of degree. But with a masters you could go in business for yourself as a counselor. Again, where do your strengths lie? I liked helping people too, and became an occupational therapist. But I'd have made a bad nurse. I think I would enjoy social work in some ways, but you have to know you're going to encounter a lot of angry people in the day to day of your job. Our social workers in the nursing homes I work in are tasked with telling people they can't go home again, telling families they don't recommend discharge or that they are getting cut from therapy. It takes a thick skin and an ability to be firm and stand up to people in a professional way, which I am not the best at.
I spoke to someone who has a Master's Degree in Social Work and she told me she makes decent money. I know you need people skills to be a Social Worker. But it's the same for Mortuary Science you deal with grieving family members so you are like a counselor. And for Dental Hygiene many of the patients like to talk about their problems during their appointments.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:32 AM

10,413 posts, read 6,991,931 times
Mortuary science, you'd have fewer complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities