Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 04:04 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,362,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm sorry. But you are spot on with the FAFSA. What looks great on paper doesn't match reality. A few years ago while filling it out for my oldest, I saw somewhere that the formula is so outdated it essentially considers anyone with a combined income about around $50,000 to be upper class and able to afford most, if not all, full price. Perhaps in 1970. Afraid I don't have a source to verify; it's been a couple of years.
With a family of four, making $50,000 and having no savings, the student would go to college for free or near free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 08:35 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,043,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Here's the thing many people aren't aware of until they do the college paperwork. The whole college financial system is based on the parents ability to pay, not whether they actually contribute a dime or not. So a kid with parents who can afford college but refuse to pay is totally screwed because that kid will be charged what the formula says they can afford. In fact, it's worse than that. Two families, same income, age, family size, etc. One scrimps, does without, saves for college and retirement. The other buys the big fancy house, new cars, big vacations. The system will expect the family that saved to pay more than the family that didn't.

This was my case. My mother could have afforded it but that would mean she couldn't go shopping everyday. She managed without college and so could I - so off I went to prove I could do it and I did. That meant working as a telephone operator almost full time and a full college schedule.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:43 AM

35,363 posts, read 17,265,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This was my case. My mother could have afforded it but that would mean she couldn't go shopping everyday. She managed without college and so could I - so off I went to prove I could do it and I did. That meant working as a telephone operator almost full time and a full college schedule.
Off topic but I wonder how many of those there are now?

Old 02-09-2021, 09:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,763,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
This information, while true, is irrelevant. Because many employers demand that their job candidates have that Bachelor's degree, even when the degree has no serious bearing on being able to do the job. So if you want to have a shot at getting a white-collar job and moving up, a college degree is a necessity. It doesn't matter what you learn or how you spend your time in college, employers demand that degree.
Yet employers also want some experience and won't hire a grad who never worked a day in their life.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:58 AM

22,057 posts, read 9,632,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Colleges are not to blame for high schools failing to teach graduates how to read at a "proficient" level.
Not knowing the basics of civics, history and science also are grade and high school system failures.
A certain political party has been systematically defunding public education for years and siphoning off tax money earmarked for schools into private school vouchers, thus impoverishing the public school system.

I say get rid of 30% of the public school administrators and pay more to top teachers with that saved money.
Children of all economic levels deserve decent educations.
I also believe state colleges and community colleges should be free to attend.
Another certain political party thinks that the solution is to shovel more and more $$$ to teacher's unions. CPS calling for defunding of police to agree to go back to school. Why? It's just a way to pass their radical agenda. Charter schools actually perform well and give low income kids a shot. Makes you wonder why that certain political party wants to shut them down. Actually it doesn't. More money for the teachers' and failing schools if they are shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities