Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:02 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Have you seen this poster's other threads in the non-romantic relationship forum? Have you noticed the OP hasn't come back here to post?

You should check out the baggage this individual is carrying around regarding family, wealth, prestige and all sorts of nuttiness.

This is not about being proud of your kiddo. This is... something else....
I'm familiar with the OP's postings but the topic is an interesting one (just look at all the responses) regardless of the reasons behind the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 06:10 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
I would be proud of them if they're doing well for themselves, regardless of whether they attended a good university or not. It's their path, my job was to steer them in the direction they want to go.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:22 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
^^^I completely agree with this! My kids are college grads and one went to a so-called prestigious university but if they had wanted to go to a trade school or had a passion they wanted to pursue, that would have been fine with me also. I've seen and heard too many college graduates who can barely put together a cohesive thought or a sentence that's grammatically correct. Unfortunately that also includes some from top tier schools. I'm not impressed.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:36 AM

528 posts, read 711,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Let's say that your daughter is getting a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from MIT. Or she's attending Wharton, the University of Pennsylvania's business school. Or your child goes to Oxford, Cambridge or Stanford. Or anywhere that gets the reaction, "wow, that's a great school!"

How do you feel, as a parent? Do you internalize it, and give yourself credit for raising a child who accomplished that?

Thanks.

PhD from MIT doesn't mean anything. Most prestigious schools have average grad. school programs.

Last edited by koctail; 07-29-2021 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-29-2021, 09:29 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
PhD from MIT doesn't mean anything. Most prestigious schools have average grad. school programs.
What?

Take Harvard for example. While I'd argue that Harvard undergrad degrees are grossly overrated and rarely worth actually paying for..........an overwhelming majority of Harvard's graduate and professional programs rate from excellent to world class.

A number of years ago The National Research Council ranked Ph.D programs across a large number of areas. I haven't seem the lists in a long time........anyway while big state U's Texas, Cal, Washington, Michigan, Wisconsin etc. were big players so were Harvard, Yale (Yale was ranked near the top across virtually every humanities area), Stanford, Vandy, Cal Tech and so on and yes MIT.

I'd say your thesis is faulty.

ETA - FWIIW I believe The NRC/National Academy of Sciences will re-issues it's rankings in 2025.

ETA II - I found part of NRC rankings here are a couple of examples.....

Pharmacology -
1. Yale
2. UTSW (Dallas)
3. Cal San Diego
4. Johns Hopkins
5. Duke
6. Vandy
7. Harvard
8. UNC
9. Washington
10. Penn

Aerospace Engineering
1. Cal Tech
2. MIT
3. Stanford
4. Princeton
5. Michigan
6. Cornell
7. Purdue
8. Texas
9. Georgia Tech
10. UCLA

Civil Engineering
1. MIT
2. Cal
3. Stanford
4. Texas
5. Illinois
6. Cornell
7. Cal Tech
8. Princeton
9. Northwestern
10. Michigan

Computer Science
1. Stanford
2. MIT
3. Cal
4. Carnegie Mellon
5. Cornell
6. Princeton
7. Texas
8. Illinois
9. Washington
10. Wisconsin

Last edited by EDS_; 07-29-2021 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-29-2021, 09:29 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Not true.

There's tons of corporate executive jobs at small and mid-sized companies that pull in good salaries. Not to mention regional executive positions for larger companies.

I look at the people I grew up with and a ton of them are corporate executives here, there, and everywhere.
If they want to pursue that on their own I'm fine with that. But I wouldn't want them to necessarily pick that path.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:00 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Most people I know with a business degree say not to get a business degree.

If you're not going to be an engineer it would probably be wise not to go to school for that.

Business Administration degree here...it is useful/well rounded although a bit general...will get you in the door for Sales and Management Jobs and so forth.

However, I do agree that a more specific specialized major in Business can be better...Accounting or Finance are more technical and always seem to be in demand.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:03 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Why would you really want your kid to make money or ascend the corporate ladder? There's very few jobs at the top and most won't get there. It's a success pyramid with the vast majority in the lower ranks. So most who want that are destined to fail and be resentful of those who succeed. And no matter how high you climb there's always those higher than you. It's a dead end for 99%. Only a handful of people get there.
Many senior vice presidents at a Fortune 500 company make over $300,000 a year. There are tons of senior vice presidents at every Fortune 500 company. Becoming a group vice presidents is slightly harder and earn a good deal more. It's after group vice presidents that the number of executive jobs is limited.

This was debated on High school son says most interested subject is "history". I'm concerned. (colleges, degree)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/educ...nterested.html.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:41 PM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times
If my daughter wanted to go to a top-tier university and she was accepted, sure I would be proud. I am sure whatever college or university she ends up going to I will be proud for her and brag about it--as long as it's a place she's happy with too. But if she was accepted and is going for reasons other than her own, personal desire to go there (for example if she's going to impress others or something), then I would ask her to reconsider. Life is too short to live it for others. And since the focus of some of this thread is about how much money one can make after attending such a school, I also tell her while it's important to make enough money to cover your needs and most of the things you want because being poor can lead to unhappiness, there is a tipping point where more money doesn't mean more happiness.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:44 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Many senior vice presidents at a Fortune 500 company make over $300,000 a year. There are tons of senior vice presidents at every Fortune 500 company. Becoming a group vice presidents is slightly harder and earn a good deal more. It's after group vice presidents that the number of executive jobs is limited.

This was debated on High school son says most interested subject is "history". I'm concerned. (colleges, degree)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/educ...nterested.html.
You don't need $300K a year to be happy. In fact plenty of people making $300K a year are not happy. Someone else stated you need about $80K a year to be comfortable and I agree with that. You may not get it to start, but you can work your way up to $80K a year with any major. Outside of marrying who I loved and having kids and pets I love, doing a job I loved was life's greatest pleasure. I never earned more than $93K a year by the time I retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities