Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 08:56 AM

19,961 posts, read 18,262,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Annual tuition at this particular high school is $44,000 (annual tuition at most of its peer schools is “only” ~$40,000). I imagine that by the time my son starts high school, in a little over a decade, it will exceed $50,000 in today’s dollars. In-state sticker price at my UG alma mater, which itself is among the top five most expensive public schools in the country, is currently just under $20,000.

Back-breaking student loan debt is a scary thing. I was fortunate enough to come from a family that could cover all out-of-pocket costs for my college and professional school education, and my wife was fortunate enough to come from a family of modest enough means, and attend a college with a robust enough financial aid program, that all tuition, fees, room, and board were covered, allowing her to take out minimal loans for living expenses that she paid within five years. We hope to eliminate that concern at least for our children’s undergraduate education and will urge them to opt for in-state flagships and merit scholarships at private universities so that at least some of their graduate and professional schools expenses can also be covered.
To be frank even as something of a private K-12 supporter........I probably wouldn't allow that.

I'd attempt to determine if a likely public school option plus outside enhancements like regular tutoring would be satisfactory on the academic side. Then play with the money on paper. Maybe take half the $44K/yr. and invest that religiously....yielding a stout war chest for college and maybe a portion of graduate/professional school.

_________

I'm with you on the scary school debt bit. My parents worked hard to make sure neither my brother or I amassed any school debt.

My wife and I agreed before we married that our kid's educations would be central to our lives. The deal we made with both kids was simple. You keep making As and we will keep paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
To be frank even as something of a private K-12 supporter........I probably wouldn't allow that.
My wife and I agreed before we married that our kid's educations would be central to our lives. The deal we made with both kids was simple. You keep making As and we will keep paying.
How tragic and sad to hear this from a professional (?) educator.

While all in our family (parents, kids, cousins, siblings... ) graduated Magna (with no prior prep / private schooling), we all realized that the College grades / ranking (especially letter grades) were not at all what we were particpating in education for. The retention, application, and sharing of our aquired knowledge far surpassed any merit / grades / awards. (Which the academic community seems so blind and enamored with self and their (failed) process to realize)

So sad, so predictable, so common.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:24 PM

4,637 posts, read 2,788,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
...3.1. You keep implying some level of failure if a kid attends private K-12 and then anything other than a "prestige" college. That's just bogus on multiple levels. ...
Well, it appears there are those (some of whom posted right here) who believe the only reason to attend private school is to get into such a "prestige" university. Apparently the concept of education and establishing a life of the mind, irrespective of whether the student proceeds to a "prestige" university, is foreign to these people.

Believe it or not, schooling is not just an instrument to create wealth and prestige. It can be so much more.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:42 PM

8,790 posts, read 3,949,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, it appears there are those (some of whom posted right here) who believe the only reason to attend private school is to get into such a "prestige" university.
Anyone who is intelligent/motivated enough to be accepted into an academically prestigious university is not foolish enough to believe it starts/ends there.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
How tragic and sad to hear this from a professional (?) educator.

While all in our family (parents, kids, cousins, siblings... ) graduated Magna (with no prior prep / private schooling), we all realized that the College grades / ranking (especially letter grades) were not at all what we were particpating in education for. The retention, application, and sharing of our aquired knowledge far surpassed any merit / grades / awards. (Which the academic community seems so blind and enamored with self and their (failed) process to realize)

So sad, so predictable, so common.
Yea whatever. My son is literally a brain surgeon and my daughter in top 2/3% of her MS-3 class....they've done ok.

Cleary they don't measure up to your kids - playing Major League Baseball in the summers, consulting with The NSA over Christmas break while making millions day trading etc.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
well, it appears there are those (some of whom posted right here) who believe the only reason to attend private school is to get into such a "prestige" university. Apparently the concept of education and establishing a life of the mind, irrespective of whether the student proceeds to a "prestige" university, is foreign to these people.

Believe it or not, schooling is not just an instrument to create wealth and prestige. It can be so much more.
+1.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,740 posts, read 81,656,775 times
I suppose it depends on the reasons for sending the kid to to the private school. In my case it was due to them being very Catholic, and they sent me to DeLaSalle, the High School whose football team was in the 2014 movie "When the Game Stands Tall." When I was there the school was brand new, and no football (1966-70). After the first year my father thought it wasn't religious enough so refused to pay the tuition any more, but I liked it there and since I had a steady part-time job I was able
to pay for the last 3 years myself. I don't think they cared what college I went to, as long as I went. I ended up at a state college, somewhat unknown, but ended up financially successful. Prestige is a useless vanity thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Game_Stands_Tall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities