Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM

44 posts, read 187,930 times

Advertisements

I'm a Economics major/business minor and their are many analyst positions open in my area but they all require a bachelors degree, I was wondering since I wont have mine until the Fall if I should still apply for these positions anyway or should I wait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 PM

455 posts, read 1,397,835 times
Apply but don't make it seem like you graduated on your resume. Put your projected grad date next to it or something.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
I was accepted for my current job before I finished degree. You are better off applying now than waiting. Worse thing that could happen is you get hired (Really, it is, balancing your finishing requirements with a job is tough, but then you have the finding a job part out of the way.)

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Most companies are looking to hire someone to start working fairly soon. "Fall" is at least 7 months away. Maybe wait until 3-4 months before graduating.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
My company has been hiring a bunch of junior staff the last two years, we usually interview them while they are still in school . That said, you should probably be applying in your final semester. Our hiring process is usually two to four months, so the timing usually works out so that they start almost as soon as they graduate. When you said that you graduate in the fall, does that mean at the end of the fall semester or at the end of the summer semester. Either way, it's still probably a little too early, but if you are graduating at the end of August then you might only be a few months away from being able to start your job hunt.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningferron View Post
I'm a Economics major/business minor and their are many analyst positions open in my area but they all require a bachelors degree, I was wondering since I wont have mine until the Fall if I should still apply for these positions anyway or should I wait?
Apply a little closer to graduation time and just write down your "expected date of Graduation 8/2013". Or whatever. In your CV, you can write =

"BA Wordsworth University" and then the EDG.

There are also jobs that might hire you with 3 - 6 credits pending , especially if you are verry qualified or
have filed for graduation or petitioned to graduate.

Whatever you do don't lie.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I was hired for my first position a year before I graduated. (Actually I was offered four positions with different companies in different states) They made the decision the summer before I started my final year or in some cases, just after I started my final year.

IN any event if you get interviews, the practice interviewing will be good for you. Even if you do not get interviews, it will force you to tweak your resume and cover letter writing skills.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I was hired for my first position a year before I graduated. (Actually I was offered four positions with different companies in different states) They made the decision the summer before I started my final year or in some cases, just after I started my final year.

IN any event if you get interviews, the practice interviewing will be good for you. Even if you do not get interviews, it will force you to tweak your resume and cover letter writing skills.
And when was this? 30 years ago, that was common for PhDs. It's not common now.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
I'm in the same situation as you. I only have 12 credits left to complete this fall prior to receiving my BA next February. I saw a job posting which I'm really interested in, a full-time entry level training position, but they require a BA (in anything). I don't know if I should go ahead and apply for it or just wait until I finish classes this December. I'd love to work full-time during my last semester if possible to get a jump start on a career and for financial reasons, but I don't know if they'd automatically disqualify me for not having my degree yet.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Just apply and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities