Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
wow, you feel WAY too strongly about this! lighten up a bit! if you don't dorms, fine. many people find them to be helpful, and many people have made lifelong friends through living on campus. it's great for some, not great for others, ok?
Nope, I just have a strong personality. In person I am told that it is quite endearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM

274 posts, read 606,253 times
I'm sorry I did not mean to offend you or your kids, that was not my intent. I was just meaning to say that by college, young adults should be able to do certain things for themselves and don't need mom and dad to do everything for them.

And I am not a parent, I am a STUDENT and see too many parents who do EVERYTHING for their kids and then the kids NEVER learn to grow up. I am not implying that you are one of those parents, but
I see a HUGE lack of responsibility on behalf of the students who are just plain handed everything. Students should be able to do BASIC things like manage finances, know what things cost, deal with unpleasant people, etc. without the university or parents stepping in every step of the way.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Personally I feel that if you're old enough to get a college degree, you're old enough to manage your own personal finances without needing a college to hold your hand. If a kid can't even manage something as simply as an apartment how are the going to handle hands on patient care as a healthcare major, dealing with dangerous chemicals with a chem major, etc.
umm, don't kids usually get a few years of training and classes before dealing w/ patients hands on?

you make it sound like having an apartment is so easy. there are plenty of challenges in renting an apartment that many people may not be ready for right off the bat. finding an apartment (of course Mom and Dad shouldn't be finding Junior an apartment!! if a kid can't find their own apartment, how will they ever perform open heart surgery on a patient? ), dealing with deposits, understanding leases, dealing with utilities, looking for roommates, dealing w/ how to deal w/ issues with roommates (how do you split the rent is one room is 50% larger than another? should roommate A have all the bills in their name? should roommate B pay more for electricity since they own several electronics? what happens if someone doesn't pay rent?), dealing with apartment maintenance (which can go beyond simple cleaning if you have a crappy/slow LL), dealing with landlords (some of whom go out of their way to cheat undergrads, some of whom despise undergrads, some of whom live 3000 miles away and answer your calls 4 weeks later), dealing with neighbors (some who may be loud and obnoxious and some who may think you're loud and obnoxious), these are just some of the problems I've dealt w/ in the almost 7 years I've rented apartments. check out the Rent forum on this site and see these issues aren't unique and happen often

first year of school is stressful enough as it is, why add in these additional stresses? if you can afford on campus living, I'd say go for it, at least for one year. you may only get one chance to try it out!

ETA: oh, and chances are, an 18yo trying to get his first apartment may need to rely on his parents just as much as a kid living on campus. most LL will require parents co-sign a lease for undergrads. an 18yo doesn't have credit so will need the parents' help to secure an apartment, set up utilities, get furniture, etc. it's not like an 18yo on his own in an apartment will be 100% responsible for everything; in many cases, Mom and Dad will be there signing the papers and footing thr bill, just like w/ a dorm

Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
I'm sorry I did not mean to offend you or your kids, that was not my intent. I was just meaning to say that by college, young adults should be able to do certain things for themselves and don't need mom and dad to do everything for them.

And I am not a parent, I am a STUDENT and see too many parents who do EVERYTHING for their kids and then the kids NEVER learn to grow up. I am not implying that you are one of those parents, but
I see a HUGE lack of responsibility on behalf of the students who are just plain handed everything. Students should be able to do BASIC things like manage finances, know what things cost, deal with unpleasant people, etc. without the university or parents stepping in every step of the way.
Apology accepted, and I think a person can learn that stuff whether living in the dorms or an apt. Both went far out of state to college and had to learn to manage on their own.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
umm, don't kids usually get a few years before dealing w/ patients hands on?
No

Quote:
you make it sound like having an apartment is so easy. there are plenty of challenges in renting an apartment that many people may not be ready for right off the bat. finding an apartment (of course Mom and Dad shouldn't be finding Junior an apartment!! if a kid can't find their own apartment, how will they ever perform open heart surgery on a patient? ), dealing with deposits, understanding leases, dealing with utilities, looking for roommates, dealing w/ how to deal w/ issues with roommates (how do you split the rent is one room is 50% larger than another? should roommate A have all the bills in their name? should roommate B pay more for electricity since they own several electronics? what happens if someone doesn't pay rent?), dealing with apartment maintenance (which can go beyond simple cleaning if you have a crappy/slow LL), dealing with landlords (some of whom go out of their way to cheat undergrads, some of whom despise undergrads, some of whom live 3000 miles away and answer your calls 4 weeks later), dealing with neighbors (some who may be loud and obnoxious and some who may think you're loud and obnoxious), these are just some of the problems I've dealt w/ in the almost 7 years I've rented apartments. check out the Rent forum on this site and see these issues aren't unique and happen often

first year of school is stressful enough as it is, why add in these additional stresses? if you can afford on campus living, I'd say go for it, at least for one year. you may only get one chance to try it out!
Yah because I said first year students have to do things as complicated as open heart surgery, horrible attempt at sarcasm. And please, at 18 myself as well as several of my friends got our own places. It isn't one tenth as complicated as you describe it. I pray for our youth if they are having as much difficulty with managing personal finances as you seem to think they are/would.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
No
so there are college out there where 17-18 year old freshmen are dealing w/ patients in hospital settings?? explain please

Quote:
Yah because I said first year students have to do things as complicated as open heart surgery, horrible attempt at sarcasm. And please, at 18 myself as well as several of my friends got our own places. It isn't one tenth as complicated as you describe it. I pray for our youth if they are having as much difficulty with managing personal finances as you seem to think they are/would.
again, check out the Rent forum on this site. just b/c you had an easy time of it doesn't mean issues w/ renting don't exist. and it goes beyond managing personal finance. how many 18yos know how to read a legally binding lease, I mean really read it and understand it? how many know and understand their rights as tenants under the laws of their states? how many 18yos know what to do in a case where a roommate on the lease won't pay rent? no kid on Earth knows all of these things when they first leave home! you learn it as you go along. but again, why put all that stress on a kid just starting out in college? so many drop out w/in 2 months just from the pressure of classes, why add more stress? not every kid can juggle a FT course load and a job w/ enough hours to pay for off campus housing and all the expenses that go with it

Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I pray for our youth if they are having as much difficulty with managing personal finances as you seem to think they are/would.
I know some who have very few expenses, get an "allowance" from mom and dad while in college, and still manage to blow it all on worthless stuff. (ie. 20 pizzas rather than books and school supplies).

On average, yes I say that most probably do have difficulty.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
I know some who have very few expenses, get an "allowance" from mom and dad while in college, and still manage to blow it all on worthless stuff. (ie. 20 pizzas rather than books and school supplies).

On average, yes I say that most probably do have difficulty.
those kids exist both on and off campus. I know kids whose parents have bought them condos and manages all aspects of it (mortgage, fees, utilities, even parking fees) and let their kids become AUs on their credit cards.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
again, check out the Rent forum on this site. just b/c you had an easy time of it doesn't mean issues w/ renting don't exist. and it goes beyond managing personal finance. how many 18yos know how to read a legally binding lease, I mean really read it and understand it? how many know and understand their rights as tenants under the laws of their states? how many 18yos know what to do in a case where a roommate on the lease won't pay rent? no kid on Earth knows all of these things when they first leave home! you learn it as you go along. but again, why put all that stress on a kid just starting out in college? so many drop out w/in 2 months just from the pressure of classes, why add more stress? not every kid can juggle a FT course load and a job w/ enough hours to pay for off campus housing and all the expenses that go with it
Even some adults do not know all their rights.

I don't think he is saying it is simple, but that you learn as you go---just like with anything else in life. I'm sure all of us did not learn the intricacies of renting overnight, but we all learned as problems arose.

I do not think that most college freshmen should be living off campus, but that it would be a good idea to live on campus for the first year to adjust.

And as already stated in many previous posts, depending on the university/city it may be cheaper to live off campus anyways, therefore lessening the "job load".

Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
so there are college out there where 17-18 year old freshmen are dealing w/ patients in hospital settings?? explain please
Whats to explain? You get into an allied health sciences program, such as nursing, you get some training and then start hands on care. You keep learning and expanding what you do as you go along. Just how it is. And as an FYI not some but the vast majority of colleges do it this way, just the way it is done.

Quote:
Again I think you're blowing what hassle comes out of it WAY out of proportion. You make it sound as if they are signing thirty year mortgages. I managed it just fine, as did my friends...some of whom aren't too terribly bright. It can be a hassle, but then again, what isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities