Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 PM

67 posts, read 132,886 times

Advertisements

What do you think about improving the reputation of community colleges as a way to increase rates of Americans getting higher education? I read about the idea in a great book called Thinking Big. A few of the ideas within are to create an online curriculum and to strengthen the ties between high schools and community colleges as a way to get more people educated. I know that Obama has talked so much about his plan is to invest in early child-education and teacher training and payment. Do you think that increasing emphasis and funding for public secondary education should be included?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,782 times
love the idea of more emphasis on commnity college. that way we won't hear the complaints about massive college debt that would have been far less, had the student not wanted to leave home and party. get your first two years at cc at a much lower rate, then transfer if need be thus spending wiser

Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punyhumans View Post
What do you think about improving the reputation of community colleges as a way to increase rates of Americans getting higher education?
Do you think MORE people need to go to college???

So many who are enrolled now should not be there.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I think community colleges, like all other colleges, should be evaluated on an individual basis.
The community college I attend has a pretty good relationship with the high school I graduated from and I'm sure with others.
If you take certain classes, make good grades, and a certain ACT score, your tuition and fees are paid for, including summer classes.

In other parts of the state, the community college is not the best.

I see nothing wrong with community colleges but a lot of times they are filled with nontraditional students. The average age is 28/29, according to websites I've looked at but I have also read the average age is going down probably because more "traditional" college students are seeing the amount of money they can save by starting out at community college.

Pantagraph.com | News | Community colleges have younger students, more business collaboration (http://pantagraph.com/articles/2007/03/26/news/124614.txt - broken link)

Feature Story: No Average Student: Community college students not your 'typical' undergrads, says College of Education survey

http://www.classesandcareers.com/edu...a-last-resort/

A lot of people might point to community colleges' graduation rate and I think that's the wrong way of approaching things. A lot of things affect the graduation rate of community college students: kids, work (a lot of community college students work), socioeconomic status, typically being from backgrounds that are typically underrepresented in the college world, a lot are first-generational students and that is a whole 'nother set of problems....and the list can keep going.

I sat down and read Community College Times and they had an analysis into the low graduation rate of community colleges. Quite interesting.

I think a lot of times community colleges get a bad rap and I would suggest people look at them on an individual basis. Not all four-year colleges are great and not all community colleges are diploma mills.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times
I'm all for community colleges, nothing wrong with starting that way at all. There are so many people that go to college all because their friends are going to college and have their parents pay for it too. I tell lots of people that there's nothing wrong with starting out at a community college, especially if you're an undeclared major, in fact, that's probably the best way to go if you ask me. Why would you want to go to a huge college and sit in a psychology class of 5,000 people? If you're not an english major, what do you care where you take english. I started at a community college, did one year, entered the air force, did my 4 years, got off active duty, did one semester at the same community college, got my 2 year degree, transfered all those credits to the university right down the street, did another two years, finished with my degree in Education. And oh by the way, instead of entering the teaching field I decided to go into medicine and become a dentist. Yea, I tell people I started at a community college, in fact, I have no problem hanging that two year degree next to my 4-year degree or my degree from dental school, nothing wrong with it in the least bit. It's amazing how many people think that because you take biology at the community college level that it's somehow different than at a 4-year university. I'm all for community colleges as a good starting point!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I see nothing wrong with community colleges but a lot of times they are filled with nontraditional students. The average age is 28/29, according to websites I've looked at but I have also read the average age is going down probably because more "traditional" college students are seeing the amount of money they can save by starting out at community college.

A lot of people might point to community colleges' graduation rate and I think that's the wrong way of approaching things. A lot of things affect the graduation rate of community college students: kids, work (a lot of community college students work), socioeconomic status, typically being from backgrounds that are typically underrepresented in the college world, a lot are first-generational students and that is a whole 'nother set of problems....and the list can keep going.

I sat down and read Community College Times and they had an analysis into the low graduation rate of community colleges. Quite interesting.

I think a lot of times community colleges get a bad rap and I would suggest people look at them on an individual basis. Not all four-year colleges are great and not all community colleges are diploma mills.
I have read that the average age of all college students is around 26. That includes CC's and places like U of Phoenix.

My personal observation is that CC's have a low graduation rate because of:

1-Many students enroll just to take a class or two, usually to brush up on work related skills or something else work related.

2-The student transfers to a four-year.

3-The low(er) tuition plus the stigma of going to a CC might make it easier for a student to drop out.

I think that many CC's deserve more respect, but I do not think that any real effort needs to go into promoting the CC as most are seeing higher and higher enrollment rates each year.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
An excellent community college is a beautiful thing. There need to be more of them.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punyhumans View Post
....... A few of the ideas within are to create an online curriculum and to strengthen the ties between high schools and community colleges as a way to get more people educated. .....early child-education and teacher training ....
This is already in place at my college (and state) and many community colleges across the country. Wonder how old the book is or whether the author has any contact or experience with community colleges.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
This is already in place at my college (and state) and many community colleges across the country. Wonder how old the book is or whether the author has any contact or experience with community colleges.

Hmmm... according to amazon ---
Publisher: Berrett-Koehler Publishers (January 15, 2009)

Does the OP have connections to this book, as the post was made so soon after the publishing date?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
I'm all for community colleges, nothing wrong with starting that way at all. There are so many people that go to college all because their friends are going to college and have their parents pay for it too. I tell lots of people that there's nothing wrong with starting out at a community college, especially if you're an undeclared major, in fact, that's probably the best way to go if you ask me. Why would you want to go to a huge college and sit in a psychology class of 5,000 people? If you're not an english major, what do you care where you take english. I started at a community college, did one year, entered the air force, did my 4 years, got off active duty, did one semester at the same community college, got my 2 year degree, transfered all those credits to the university right down the street, did another two years, finished with my degree in Education. And oh by the way, instead of entering the teaching field I decided to go into medicine and become a dentist. Yea, I tell people I started at a community college, in fact, I have no problem hanging that two year degree next to my 4-year degree or my degree from dental school, nothing wrong with it in the least bit. It's amazing how many people think that because you take biology at the community college level that it's somehow different than at a 4-year university. I'm all for community colleges as a good starting point!
I am glad I am starting out at community college, considering all the times I have changed my major. If I had went to my once first choice college, I would be stuck at a school that didn't have my major.
I see a lot of pros in choosing my college, which I won't go into but I am loving my community college. In the beginning I felt kind of left out of the stereotypical college experience, mostly the dorm experience, but now I am perfectly happy staying at home [most days....].

I also like that a lot of community colleges offer small classes AND you're actually taught by a professor and not some graduate assistant while the professor is off writing books and trying to publish so they don't perish.

Even my friends who are at four year schools who have taken classes at community colleges say they liked the small class size of a community college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have read that the average age of all college students is around 26. That includes CC's and places like U of Phoenix.

My personal observation is that CC's have a low graduation rate because of:

1-Many students enroll just to take a class or two, usually to brush up on work related skills or something else work related.

2-The student transfers to a four-year.

3-The low(er) tuition plus the stigma of going to a CC might make it easier for a student to drop out.

I think that many CC's deserve more respect, but I do not think that any real effort needs to go into promoting the CC as most are seeing higher and higher enrollment rates each year.
Well some of those links I posted said the average age is going down since more "traditional" age students see the savings in attending community college and the small class sizes.
I agree with your observations. Also community colleges tend to have a lot of minority students or students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds and these students tend to have to take a lot of remedial courses. With each remedial course a student has to take, it becomes a certain % less likely that they WON'T graduate.
Some people just look at graduation rates and think just because it's not high, the college is somehow failing its students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities