Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 PM

129 posts, read 339,045 times

Advertisements

I was wondering , is a degree from someplace like University of Phoenix worth it? I'd like to get a BS in business management, and being able to do the course work on off hours looks good to me.

I would consider a more traditional institution , however my work life does not lend its self to consistently being able to attend classes.

Any HR people out there willing to give a honest appraisal? Hiring managers? Past students?

Thanks a bunch,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 AM

876 posts, read 3,792,798 times
stay away from University of Phoenix. They make you take 2 classes no matter what just to attend the online college. Sad thing is those classes are $1,100, atleast last time I attempted to join up there.

The college is a joke. Any employer that sees that on your resume is going to laugh at you. Better off finishing your degree with another college that offers online courses.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
University of Phoenix has had MANY legal issues not to mention academic issues. Check out Excelsior College (www.excelsior.edu) for a legit degree in distance learning. They ARE accredited and offer financial aid packages. They will take college credits without a limit on courses from Community Colleges. They offer a wide variety of degrees. You can take online courses through them or other colleges, CLEP Exams, Excelsior College Exams, distance learning/correspondence courses from other universities, and regular on-site courses from any accredited college/university. They have a large database that lists out colleges they work with and what classes the colleges offer at a distance.

No, I do NOT work for them. Never have. I was a student there. I'm going back to finish off my degree soon. Need to save up some $$$ first.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
I was wondering , is a degree from someplace like University of Phoenix worth it?
Whether it is worth it or not is up to you. There have been quite a few threads about this school and while most posters feel that this place is a rip-off or a scam, there are other posters who claim that the school is ok and worthwhile. If you are seriously considering this school I would highly recommend that you do some heavy research before you sign anything.

Would you be able to attend night or weekend classes at a traditional college (a state or other public college should be cheaper then U o P) as well as take online courses? That would probably be the best route.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 AM

314 posts, read 1,136,301 times
I am a graduate of the University of Phoenix. I did not attend the online variation though, I attend a ground campus.

There are some websites stating negative things about the school, but there are also websites praising it. I'm not about to get into an argument as to who is right or wrong, I will only give you my thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

I had a pretty positive experience at the school. I was able to transfer some credits in from a couple of semesters I had taken a few years before. Also, I took as many CLEP tests as possible and through both transfer credits and CLEP tests, I was able to eliminate a good majority of my general education credits.

My general experience at the school was positive. They are expensive, and I know the online version is even more expensive. At the time, my schedule was very limited and they were the school offering the degree program I wanted at the times I was able to attend classes. I didn't want an online school and felt I needed the classroom experience to help me learn. I enjoyed most of my classes, but like any school, you're going to run into a few dull or especially difficult classes.

The classes have few, if any, written tests. You had better enjoy writing though, as the great majority of work in the classes is writing papers. On average, you'll have to write anywhere from 3 to 6 papers for a five week class. It's a lot of research and writing.

As for HR departments laughing at the degree, I have never run across that at all. Personal opinions vary with each person you talk to, so while I'm sure there are some people who balk at a degree from UOP, but I'm sure there are other who balk at other colleges that they have low opinions of as well. I have never had a problem getting a job with my UOP degree. I've never been questioned about it, nor has any HR person every commented, snickered, or laughed at my degree. Although, I'm guessing they wouldn't do it to my face...even so, I've never even gotten the feeling that someone was doing that behind my back.

In my experience going there, and by the way they keep raising prices, I do feel that UOP is a little more profit centered than I'd like them to be. Then again, they are a For Profit University, not a state school, so they ARE actually trying to turn a profit. Almost everything out there about them in a negative light usually revolves around them trying to turn a profit.

In the end, I enjoyed my experience there. I'm not going to necessarily recommend anyone go there, look into it and figure out what works best for you, there are lots of options out there. I wouldn't recommend against anyone going either. As I said, my experience there was mostly positive.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
I was wondering , is a degree from someplace like University of Phoenix worth it? I'd like to get a BS in business management, and being able to do the course work on off hours looks good to me.

I would consider a more traditional institution , however my work life does not lend its self to consistently being able to attend classes.

Any HR people out there willing to give a honest appraisal? Hiring managers? Past students?

Thanks a bunch,
You know, a good rule of thumb that I often hear is that UoP is good for someone already working in the profession that they're getting the degree in; they just want to fulfill HR requirements to move up the ladder. Whereas if your doing a career switch or just entering into a new profession, it won't go as far as a degree from a traditional university.

Also, they are just too expensive.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
I have a good friend who graduated from U of P and is doing very well in Atlanta working for a tech company, supervising the folks who design software for major health insurance companies like Blue Cross.
I personally am wary of online degrees, but I can say it worked out for at least one person.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times
Guy,

chances are one of your state universities has an online program you would be interested in.

What state do you live in?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM

41 posts, read 131,121 times
I attended and received my BA in Business Management from UOP campus in Tampa FL. I will always give it high marks and I attended other schools previously prior to completing at UOP. The one positive that stood out to me were they really focus on real life work related criteria, as they so cater to the working professional mostly. All the classes are structured in a team setting always which in reality that is what it is like in most careers. I am in the process of job interviewing currently and I have spoke about those experiences many times, with a positive response.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
Stay away from any for-profit school especially corporations. Only go to: government funded, non-profit, or private (with good track record).

Here is the stock ticker for UoP

http://www.google.com/finance?q=apol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities