Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:16 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's false. I am currently in an online program at Park University.

The online classes I take are identical to the physical classroom. The structure of the courses, the material, and textbook are all the same.

In fact, when I take my final I sit side-by-side with students taking the same course on the campus. The only difference is that I do mine online and they go to the classroom. Everything else is the same.

First of all I've taken both online classes through the University of Maryland University College and have attended a state brick and mortar university, so I don't think that you can tell me that the classes are the same when they're clearly not.

Also, what level courses are you taking online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
In your honest opinion, do you learn as much in the online courses? (Please don't give me an angry response--I am really asking.)

Yes, I believe it is the same. The only difference is the delivery of the material.

If you do better in a lecture/classroom environment you may not do as well.

I am very independent and learn just fine through the distance learning environment.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
First of all I've taken both online classes through the University of Maryland University College and have attended a state brick and mortar university, so I don't think that you can tell me that the classes are the same when they're clearly not.

Also, what level courses are you taking online?

Your experience may been different than mine but if I am using the same textbook, studying the same material, doing the same assignments, and taking the same final then how is my class different other than the delivery of the material? I can tell you it's the same because it clearly is if everything I said above is true.

I have taken everything from 100 level courses to 400 level courses. I will probably be taking a 500 level course in the fall next year as well. It's all the same as the physical classroom. The only difference is I sit at my desk at home and do my work and watch the lectures while the others go to the classroom.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 AM

884 posts, read 2,643,262 times
DC
As a former employee there are a number of reasons we had a much higher dropout rate.
1) if you have a pulse and a valid ssn you can get in.
2) Lax admission standards
3) You are in a "team" setting with other students that can kill your g.p.a.
4) extremely expensive.
5) staff can be very non-committed sometimes and this hurts the students.
6) bad customer service.
7) Horrible reputation
8) friends,peers and the overall job market does not respect a UOP degree.
9) Non-Traditional students have more 'excuses' to drop out. You are faced with constant barriers to finishing. UOP student body is 70-80% female-with that comes marriages, childbirth, child-rearing, things that tend to sidetrack us ladies.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:48 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
DC
As a former employee there are a number of reasons we had a much higher dropout rate.
1) if you have a pulse and a valid ssn you can get in.
2) Lax admission standards
3) You are in a "team" setting with other students that can kill your g.p.a.
4) extremely expensive.
5) staff can be very non-committed sometimes and this hurts the students.
6) bad customer service.
7) Horrible reputation
8) friends,peers and the overall job market does not respect a UOP degree.
9) Non-Traditional students have more 'excuses' to drop out. You are faced with constant barriers to finishing. UOP student body is 70-80% female-with that comes marriages, childbirth, child-rearing, things that tend to sidetrack us ladies.
Wow....so it looks like that UoP pedagogical design does not match the needs of its target market. What an indictment!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Wow....so it looks like that UoP pedagogical design does not match the needs of its target market. What an indictment!
UoP was designed to meet the needs of working adults by offering evening, weekend, and now on-line courses while remaining fairly easy to get in to, which if I am not mistaken is still their target market.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
UoP was designed to meet the needs of working adults by offering evening, weekend, and now on-line courses while remaining fairly easy to get in to, which if I am not mistaken is still their target market.
But according to previous posts, they've made it too easy to get into. As a result, their student body has insufficient commitment. This leads to high student attrition rate, poor academic ratings, and impacts faculty recruitment. These factors work together to destroy UoP credibility, cause lawsuits, and impinge upon UoP's viability as a corporation.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 AM

DC

Lets get one thing straight. K-Luv

The Goal of UOP is to make the owner Mr. Sterling --"filthy stinkin rich". UOP started out with a higher goal of quality and offering options to working adults. They went public some yrs ago and now EVERYTHING is about the "numbers"!. UOP is a pure sales operation. They do not care to improve its quality model. They do nothing to ensure that the students know how to read or complete a paper. This hurts other students. I do feel that the material is good and that you CAN learn there but there are some major deficits.

Also UOP offers ground-in person classes at over 150 locations nationwide. So a UOP degree is not strictly online.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
DC

Lets get one thing straight. K-Luv

The Goal of UOP is to make the owner Mr. Sterling --"filthy stinkin rich". UOP started out with a higher goal of quality and offering options to working adults. They went public some yrs ago and now EVERYTHING is about the "numbers"!. UOP is a pure sales operation. They do not care to improve its quality model. They do nothing to ensure that the students know how to read or complete a paper. This hurts other students. I do feel that the material is good and that you CAN learn there but there are some major deficits.

Also UOP offers ground-in person classes at over 150 locations nationwide. So a UOP degree is not strictly online.
Two issues:
1) The "ground-in" students in Southern California have an abysmal graduation rate (see previous posts above.) So, nobody can claim that UoP lack of quality is due to on-line classes. It is throughout their entire organization.

2) Your statement,
Quote:
"now EVERYTHING is about the "numbers"!. UOP is a pure sales operation. They do not care to improve its quality model. They do nothing to ensure that the students know how to read or complete a paper."
indicates to me that UoP should have its accreditation revoked.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM

On both issues

I agree 100%

The ground students drop for the same reasons the on-line students drop.--I listed them previously. I won't go into my last job with them but EVERY job at UOP is somehow tied into keeping the students on the books. Did you know that UOP recieves more FEDERAL aid than any college in the US? They have 3 million students on the 'books". If they can show the students are enrolled then they get more money for loans. Trust me I have seen a lot of FRAUD with my own eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities