Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,319 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at going to grad school for my Masters in Psychology or an M.B.A. The only thing is I can't afford to pay for it during these times and I don't want to owe a lot when I get out. Does anybody know how I can get grants or scholarships? Preferrably something I don't have to pay back. Even some money would be better than absolutely nothing. Is it hard to get these grants and scholarships? Whats the first step I need to take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Yes it is practically impossible to get grants or scholarships, you are at a major loss. Just work and save money in a savings account. Graduate school is very overrated anyways.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Graduate school is very overrated anyways.

Not if you need to get a graduate degree to do what you want to do. But yes, scholarships/grants in those two areas are very hard to get. Also, MBA and the masters in psych are wayyyy different degrees, so you should spend time figuring out what you want to do. Once that is solidified, then you can always see what programs specific universities have to offer.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 PM

367 posts, read 1,024,059 times
if you had a strong gpa as an undergraduate some graduate schools offer graduate assistanships and teacher assistantships. they are competitive however. it really depends on the school. you should contact the financial aid office and the department, once you decide which you're wanting to go for.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
if you had a strong gpa as an undergraduate some graduate schools offer graduate assistanships and teacher assistantships. they are competitive however. it really depends on the school. you should contact the financial aid office and the department, once you decide which you're wanting to go for.
Yep, my buddy is a G.A. at Mizzou and receives free tuition and a stipend. Those positions are getting harder and harder to find now as states are allocating less money to universities.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
I'm looking at going to grad school for my Masters in Psychology or an M.B.A. The only thing is I can't afford to pay for it during these times and I don't want to owe a lot when I get out. Does anybody know how I can get grants or scholarships? Preferrably something I don't have to pay back. Even some money would be better than absolutely nothing. Is it hard to get these grants and scholarships? Whats the first step I need to take?
Don't listen to artsy...

You won't get money for either of those degrees unless you find scholarships. If you choose a PhD or PsyD in psychology there is a much better chance of getting stipends though. What do you want to do with the degree? These do seem very different...

Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM

157 posts, read 494,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
you can do some of them suggested, which is also what I am doing, do the teaching job, we call it GTA (graduate teaching associate) here, different school calls them differently

you spend 20 hours every week on teaching, but they cover all of your tuition AND give you a stipend, imo. it's a steal, but yes it's quite competitive, esp. at the current econ. i dunno about you, but i've been having TONS of fun teaching, even at some point it made me wanted to go into academia and becoming a professor

Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Are you working? I know my roommate wants her MBA so she's getting herself into a firm that will help her pay for it (her current company will only pay for economics degrees and the CFA). My employer's paying for my master's as well. The downside is that you have 40 fewer hours in the week to study, but some employers will cut you a little break if you're going to school (and it's on their dime--not a good investment if you fail). I don't know the prospects for Psychology, but it's worth looking into.

What are you trying to do with the degree? They seem kind of different...

Old 03-05-2009, 03:04 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,319 times
I'm currently not working so that won't fly. I've definitely thought about it and would love for a company to pay for my education. I know both fields are extremely different. Psychology is something I'm more interested in, but at the same time I'm trying to be realistic of what I can do with a masters in Psychology. If I get an MBA I look at it as being a little more valuable and versatile.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:26 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,812 times
Work at a place that would pay for your MBA. MBA is considered professional school and not classical, so you won't find graduate assistantship in the form of TA and RAs as say classic programs like engineering.

Phsyc is a waste of money every way you look at it.

Money is tight, I wouldn't waste money on a graduate degree. The argument that grad degrees *might* be necessary to get a job in the sense that a nursing degree has 100% efficiency in qualifying you to work as a nurse, is a tired argument. People don't get MBAs to get a job, people get MBAs because they're tired of their capped pay in the mid 50s in cubicle city at their current job. Every person before them has told them this MBA piece of paper is the gateway to jump the fence to management and the six figure office. This advice is of course a gamble, many people have gotten burned by that strategy, specially when trying to afford the MBA themselves.

Get the employer that will subsidize your grad degree, or stay put and save yourself the financial pain. Good luck. When I applied to grad schools I was fully prepared to walk away and do something else at the time if none of the schools offered me tuition remittance. Of course I was in engineering that usually offers TA/RA arrangements, but the point remains. People don't get rich spending their own money, people get rich spending other people's money. First rule to financial wealth, and perhaps moral ambivalence and bankruptcy, but I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities