Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times

Advertisements

Kansas State University also offers an online degree in Dietetics, that is fully accredited. And KSU is definitely a well-respected university. KSU Dietetics online program

What makes schools like Kaplan and University of Phoenix bad is not that they are online programs but that they are for-profit corporations. They have no incentive to be either discerning in their admissions or demanding in their curriculum. And because of this their degrees are mostly worthless.

Definitely be prepared for some of the requirements mentioned above about 'participation' in weekly message board discussions. This is typical of the more rigorous programs.

Last edited by kodaka; 03-06-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I would do some serious research into the particular school or program you are interested in. Go beyond the 'student reviews' and look into how employers respond to applicants with degrees from such schools.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:08 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,160 times
does the University of Phoenix have an actual school, because I go online for classes with them. After my associates i want to go brick and mortar but I'd have to relocate to where the school is

Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
I assume to follow this career path on would have to obtain licensure of some sort through the state they reside in. I think my first move would be to assertain that my state would recognize an online degree from the institution in question.

In the education field many online programs are not recognized and the ones who are, are often only
accepted for salary increase and not job promotion.

Also, be sure that other schools recognize your instution should you decide to persue an advanced degree. I speak from personal experience on this point. My husband attended a small "bible college" that was accredited and we were told his degree would be recognized. When he applied to seminary, we found that his diploma basically wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
the University of Phoenix have an actual school, because I go online for classes with them. After my associates i want to go brick and mortar but I'd have to relocate to where the school is
You are enrolled in classes and you don't know this???

They have a few campuses. Not all degrees are offered at each campus. You could try to transfer your credits to another university in your area, but a lot will not accept credits from this school, or at least not all of them.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
A former co worker of mine got her BA from Kaplan. We both worked in retail merchandising and she had hopes of getting into a more office type setting. All of her work experience was in retail. She has yet to get a job in any kind of office, even answering phones. The reason being she has no work experience outside of retail. A regular college usually sets up some sort of internship at some point to give you that real life experience, even if its only for a few weeks.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 13,145 times
Individual perspectives may differ. However, I wont mind enrolling in an online degree program.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
I earned a Masters degree in Computer Science at this online school (American Sentinel University | Earn Your Online Degree With Us). It was a very challenging, rewarding experience. The knowledge I gained helped me immensely and is of great help in my career. We studied from industry-leading textbooks and many of the books we used are being used for similar courses at Stanford.

IMO online schools are legitimate. Many are nationally accredited which is the minimal level of accreditation one would expect from a credible school of this sort. Because they are relatively new, it will take some time for them to develop the more restrictive format required to make these schools resemble more traditional schools so they can gain regional accreditation. This doesn't prevent them from giving you the opportunity to submerge yourself as deeply as you desire into your subject matter. We are still at a time when many people write off such schools without knowing a thing about them. But with many working adults who have families going back to school, the flexibility online schools provide is a Godsend.

The popularity of such schools has prompted many traditional schools to offer online options. If you can find one that suits you, fine. But by no means do you take their presence to mean that the online schools are not legitimate. Kaplan is very reputable and very legitimate. They even have an excellent online law school.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit going to Kaplan if it fit my circumstances and offered the degree I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities