Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 76,416 times

Advertisements

Well I have a Associates in Information Technology and I have to say its pretty much useless, the guys that work with me in IT have no degree and make as much as me. I'm currently in my early 30's and working on a Bachelors in a totally different field .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
If you have made a choice of school, e.g. UNC Greeley, talk directly with them about the transferrence of credits. It is up to them to evaluate these credits.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 AM

59 posts, read 104,545 times
You can get an Associate's Degree in health information and then take a national RHIT test (Registered Health Info Tech). If you have an RHIT, you can get a coding job. Coding is assigning diagnosis codes for health insurance/govt claims. There are a lot of jobs in this field right now, and in states like MN, the pay is pretty decent. It's not the most exciting job, but you can make a decent living, and you need to apply at bigger hospitals. That's where the better paying jobs are.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 PM

79 posts, read 220,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster78 View Post
Well I have a Associates in Information Technology and I have to say its pretty much useless, the guys that work with me in IT have no degree and make as much as me. I'm currently in my early 30's and working on a Bachelors in a totally different field .

I saw your post this evening, and I was wondering. Did you look for other jobs in the larger cities? Did you talk to you employer about getting a raise since you have an associates? Did you get any certifications in IT?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 76,416 times
I work in a semi large town but its a state job and with current budget cuts they say they cant or they would , yeah I have 3 certs also.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I would not be to concerned with your curriculum in community college as long as you have taken the liberal arts transfer path - the one that articulates smoothly into a four year college.
ASL is useful for many jobs. I would take it, but NOT if it keeps you in community college longer than need be.

With an Associates degree with a concentration in psychology, you might want to look for jobs in group homes, half way houses, as psychiatric assistants, mental health techs, mental health therapy aids - there are so many different names for the job I am referencing.
The requirement is usually "some college" and an Associate degree would qualify.
You will need to continue your education, but it sounds as though you already know that.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 PM

177 posts, read 405,602 times
Check into Paralegal, Health Administration, or Accounting.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciDiva View Post
Check into Paralegal,
Personally, I wouldn't bother with this one*. The entire legal field is saturated and shrinking. Besides, it's a very stressful line of work if you do manage to find a job.

* I did bother with this one about 8 years ago, so I have firsthand knowledge of which I speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities