Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Is The Most Liberal College Town In The Western US?
Eugene, OR 6 11.32%
Corvallis, OR 1 1.89%
Ashland, OR 1 1.89%
Porland, OR 2 3.77%
Olympia, WA 3 5.66%
Bellingham, WA 0 0%
Seattle, WA 3 5.66%
Berkeley, CA 27 50.94%
Santa Cruz, CA 5 9.43%
Boulder, CO 3 5.66%
Flagstaff, AZ 1 1.89%
Santa Fe-Albuquerque, NM 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:25 PM

857 posts, read 1,733,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well I am curious, are you looking to attend college, or just want to move to a (very) liberal place?
A place that's fiscally Libertarian / Socially Liberal, where the residents exhibit a strong concern for implementing *practical* environmental causes such as bicycling, organic farming, and reducing our dependence on foreign oil by way of alternative energy and building design. I could absolutely care less about Veganism, vegetarianism, medical marijuana, global warming, or smart growth.

I moved to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Flagstaff and found these places to be fiscally liberal (vs. Libertarian), yet very socially conservative, and not open to "newcomers" moving from elsewhere. I found Boulder to be "corporatized" by real estate and commercial developers, and way too "trendy." I'm a young person who is a recent college graduate w/ a science degree.

A lot of these places, like Flagstaff and Boulder, have so many taxes and restrictions under their "smart growth" provisions, that it's impossible for someone starting out to buy land for an organic farm. Whatever happened to the days of several people renting land for organic farms?

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 12-22-2009 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Very interesting because I keep hearing that Santa Barbara (next to Isla Vista) is conservative.

Is Isla Vista a lone liberal portion of the area?
Santa Barbara as a whole is VERY liberal. Older people living in the city are conservative for the area, but again it's a liberal town.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:20 PM

Default Most Liberal College Town On Central California Coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Santa Barbara as a whole is VERY liberal. Older people living in the city are conservative for the area, but again it's a liberal town.
What is the most Liberal College Town along the coast ...
Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, or Santa Cruz?

Also, what is the cost of living in these areas?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 PM

300 posts, read 430,160 times
There does not need to be a focus on Liberal Colleges / Universities: There needs to be more of a focus on CONSERVATIVE Colleges / Universities.

Its the Liberal education our young people are forced to endure that is causing many of our problems today ( IMO )

Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
A place that's fiscally Libertarian / Socially Liberal, where the residents exhibit a strong concern for implementing *practical* environmental causes such as bicycling, organic farming, and reducing our dependence on foreign oil by way of alternative energy and building design. I could absolutely care less about Veganism, vegetarianism, medical marijuana, global warming, or smart growth.

I moved to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Flagstaff and found these places to be fiscally liberal (vs. Libertarian), yet very socially conservative, and not open to "newcomers" moving from elsewhere. I found Boulder to be "corporatized" by real estate and commercial developers, and way too "trendy." I'm a young person who is a recent college graduate w/ a science degree.

A lot of these places, like Flagstaff and Boulder, have so many taxes and restrictions under their "smart growth" provisions, that it's impossible for someone starting out to buy land for an organic farm. Whatever happened to the days of several people renting land for organic farms?
Well, it sounds like you might do well in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 PM

Default Libertarian And Liberal Defined

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
There does not need to be a focus on Liberal Colleges / Universities: There needs to be more of a focus on CONSERVATIVE Colleges / Universities.

Its the Liberal education our young people are forced to endure that is causing many of our problems today ( IMO )
By "Liberal," I am referring to Socially Liberal / Fiscal Libertarian, as you'll find in Seattle, San Francisco, and Manhattan, with respect for all religions, all ethnicities, and individual rights (gun rights, gay rights, womens rights & endorsement of the ERA (equal rights amendment).

The term "Fiscal Libertarian" or "Fiscally Liberal" as defined by Adam Smith refers to a system w/ individual freedoms to start businesses w/ low taxes, and w/o excessive government regulation. And, a balanced budget, not spending more than available revenue.

In Arizona, where I've seen your posts on city-data, everything is to a degree reversed: The state government is fiscally irresponsible, spending beyond its means; and the costs for utilities and impact fees are strikingly high for a relatively poor state. Arizona is Socially Conservative, as a right to work state since 1954, no medical marijuana, and the state is one of about 15 states to not yet endorse the ERA.

Please post a Poll on Conservative colleges and their respective towns; I'd like to see both sides!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
By "Liberal," I am referring to Socially Liberal / Fiscal Libertarian, as you'll find in Seattle, San Francisco, and Manhattan, with respect for all religions, all ethnicities, and individual rights (gun rights, gay rights, womens rights & endorsement of the ERA (equal rights amendment).

The term "Fiscal Libertarian" or "Fiscally Liberal" as defined by Adam Smith refers to a system w/ individual freedoms to start businesses w/ low taxes, and w/o excessive government regulation. And, a balanced budget, not spending more than available revenue.

In Arizona, where I've seen your posts on city-data, everything is to a degree reversed: The state government is fiscally irresponsible, spending beyond its means; and the costs for utilities and impact fees are strikingly high for a relatively poor state. Arizona is Socially Conservative, as a right to work state since 1954, no medical marijuana, and the state is one of about 15 states to not yet endorse the ERA.

Please post a Poll on Conservative colleges and their respective towns; I'd like to see both sides!
Honestly, if this is what you are looking for, you probably will need to look outside of the West Coast.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM

Default Attending College In High Tech Cities

Quote:
Honestly, if this is what you are looking for, you probably will need to look outside of the West Coast.
Why do you think this is the case?

I know from experience and living and traveling through most of these places that you'll find Fiscal Libertarian / Socially Liberal ideals in all of the towns that I posted in the poll, except Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe that tend to be more socially conservative ... And, Flagstaff, Boulder, and Santa Fe probably have significant zoning regulations, perhaps the reason why they haven't got any votes (except just one for Boulder). I'm not sure if Santa Cruz, Arcata, Ashland, and Eugene restrict new businesses. Seattle is by far the most pro-business, innovative, and economically liberal city in the poll. About 60% hold a bachelors or higher in Seattle and Boulder.

This brings up another point. For students in the high tech fields, it is advantageous to attend college in an economically libertarian, pro-business city such as Seattle or Boulder, as these places provide plenty of local businesses for internships. Compare this to smaller college towns w/o as much manufacturing or high-tech, such as Flagstaff or Santa Fe ... however, W.L.Gore / Flagstaff and Genzyme / Santa Fe are leaders in biotech ... and Albuquerque has Intel ... etc.

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 12-29-2009 at 11:25 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Why do you think this is the case?

I know from experience and living and traveling through most of these places that you'll find Fiscal Libertarian / Socially Liberal ideals in all of the towns that I posted in the poll, except Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe that tend to be more socially conservative ... And, Flagstaff, Boulder, and Santa Fe probably have significant zoning regulations, perhaps the reason why they haven't got any votes (except just one for Boulder). I'm not sure if Santa Cruz, Arcata, Ashland, and Eugene restrict new businesses. Seattle is by far the most pro-business, innovative, and economically liberal city in the poll. About 60% hold a bachelors or higher in Seattle and Boulder.

This brings up another point. For students in the high tech fields, it is advantageous to attend college in an economically libertarian, pro-business city such as Seattle or Boulder, as these places provide plenty of local businesses for internships. Compare this to smaller college towns w/o as much manufacturing or high-tech, such as Flagstaff or Santa Fe ... however, W.L.Gore / Flagstaff and Genzyme / Santa Fe are leaders in biotech ... and Albuquerque has Intel ... etc.
It appears that this thread, or your postings at least, do not have any real line of direction.

When I read what you describe, Minneapolis pops into my head. Why? Because even though I was born and raised in California, I spent many years in Minneapolis, and it sounds as though you are describing the place. It is a highly educated city, extremely innovative, progressive, supports up-start companies, is the leader in green building, medical innovations, etc.

Santa Cruz is pro business, which is one of the reasons why I said that it is not very liberal (I am not suggesting that liberals are against business, mind you), but that was before you modified your definition of liberal and I thought you just wanted to hang out with a bunch of lefties. California, though, is a high-tax state so if you are looking to start a business (which I get the feeling that you do) that is probably not the place to go.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
. . . but that was before you modified your definition of liberal and I thought you just wanted to hang out with a bunch of lefties . . .
Let's put Economic Libertarianism / Economic Liberalism aside . . . and return to the original question I posed when starting this thread. Quoting myself:

" On City-Data forums, including Oregon, many people - especially young families and singles - ask if a college town with a young demographic is "liberal" or "accepting." Here's a poll to assess the most liberal college towns in Oregon and the Western US. I've chosen 12 towns with a putative liberal reputation . . . "

If you're a City-Data veteran, you've read dozens of posts from young singles and families, all who are inquiring about a socially liberal, left-leaning place, where the Creative Class is present, where there is a significant arts and music scene, and where people exhibit Open to Experience personality traits . . .

Thanks and keep voting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities