Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Is The Most Liberal College Town In The Western US?
Eugene, OR 6 11.32%
Corvallis, OR 1 1.89%
Ashland, OR 1 1.89%
Porland, OR 2 3.77%
Olympia, WA 3 5.66%
Bellingham, WA 0 0%
Seattle, WA 3 5.66%
Berkeley, CA 27 50.94%
Santa Cruz, CA 5 9.43%
Boulder, CO 3 5.66%
Flagstaff, AZ 1 1.89%
Santa Fe-Albuquerque, NM 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times

Advertisements

Yea, Berkeley wins. Not exactly an upset.

For your purposes, I still vote for Eugene as pretty militantly liberal in large swaths, but with enough other people running around to give a broader perspective on things. The Berkeley examples above suggest a community that is in the midst of such a prolonged orgy of self-satisfaction that they have lost touch with the larger country. They are in their own private Idaho (irony intended). That would describe Arcata as well, and perhaps Ashland, OR too. Ashland is overrun with wealthy ex-Californian liberal boomers who made it big in Cali RE, so it tends to be a bubble of sorts, but the college is not anywhere near the intellectual hotbed of Berkeley, Eugene, or Arcata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,979 times
Default Western Liberal College Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yea, Berkeley wins. Not exactly an upset.

For your purposes, I still vote for Eugene as pretty militantly liberal in large swaths, but with enough other people running around to give a broader perspective on things. The Berkeley examples above suggest a community that is in the midst of such a prolonged orgy of self-satisfaction that they have lost touch with the larger country. They are in their own private Idaho (irony intended). That would describe Arcata as well, and perhaps Ashland, OR too. Ashland is overrun with wealthy ex-Californian liberal boomers who made it big in Cali RE, so it tends to be a bubble of sorts, but the college is not anywhere near the intellectual hotbed of Berkeley, Eugene, or Arcata.

Interesting. In what ways do you think that SOU / Ashland "not the intellectual hotbed of Berkeley, Eugene, and Arcata?"

And, you always hear references of "Libertarians," "survivalists," and "rednecks" in Southern Oregon and NW California. Where are they located, and are they in a struggle with the folks in Arcata, Eugene, and Ashland, or do they get along?

(Apparently, from the Colorado and Arizona forums, there's a struggle between the "rich liberals" moving into small towns such as Durango, Flagstaff, and Salida, vs. the local 5th generation conservatives . . . )

Sorry I don't have Arcata on the poll. I would edit or replace, if possible, removing Flagstaff.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I voted for Berkeley. What other city (city government) was against the invasion of Afghanistan after 9/11, ordered American flags off the fire trucks so as not to offend anyone, told a Marine Recruiting office they were unwanted and unwelcomed intruders to their city, gave preferencial treatment to Code Pink to allow them easy access for protesting the Marine Recruiting office, had their mayor in pink telling the Marines to get out of his city, and ordered their city's attorney to find a legal means of evicting the Marine Recruiting office from their city? If you can show any other city that did anything close to this that is on the above list then I'll vote for them. These weren't some kook fringe of the population. This was elected city council members and the city mayor. There are youtube videos of the council meeting in which they were highly insulting to the Marines before they voted to send the letter to the Marines.
And these same politicians rescinded their decision on Feb. 19, 2009.

Just so you know, Republicans held the office of Mayor in the city of Berkeley from 1919 to 1947 and then from 1955 to 1971. The last mayor of Berkeley was considered a moderate and the current mayor was a Captain in the Army Reserve, and he also threw away 1000 copies of UCBs student newspaper the day before the election because the paper endorsed the incumbent-who was a moderate. So, not exactly liberal material.

Most of Berkeley's claim to liberalism comes from UCB, where in 1964 UCB banned the distribution of political literature on campus which sparked some students to form the Freedom of Speech movement that eventually turned into the anti-war movement across college campuses throughout the country. Then of course you have the hippies who moved into the Bay Area. Both of these events eventually spilled into the larger community, but it doesn't represent everyone. Telegraph Ave.-from UCB to just past People's Park (a stretch of what, 8 blocks, maybe?) is Berkeley's 'liberal haven', but it is mostly inhabited by burnt-out hippies, poor kids panhandling, and tourists. Go over one block from Telegraph to Shattuck and you will see all the Gap's and Old Navy's and American Outfitters.

That is just my take on the place and this is coming from someone who spent over two decades living near by. To be honest, Oakland is far more liberal than Berkeley in the sense of left-wing radical politics. If the s*** every goes down in the East Bay, it is going to happen in Oakland, not Berkeley. The Berkeley liberals are going to be too busy barricading themselves in their homes worrying about black people stealing their Subaru's and Volvo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post

And, you always hear references of "Libertarians," "survivalists," and "rednecks" in Southern Oregon and NW California. Where are they located, and are they in a struggle with the folks in Arcata, Eugene, and Ashland, or do they get along?
I know people who went to Humboldt State, including a good friend of mine's mom. Not only was she a student, she also worked at Humboldt for awhile. There are many hippy types up there, really extreme lefties who are so fanatical about their politics and beliefs that they have become fascists about them. There are also many rednecks up there, but I wouldn't call them Libertarians. Survivalists, yes. You have a good amount of White Separatists who live in the area, and mostly in eastern Oregon. These are people who were inspired by The Turner Diaries. Do the two groups get along? Not really, but they are not out hunting each other down in the streets, either.

Quote:
(Apparently, from the Colorado and Arizona forums, there's a struggle between the "rich liberals" moving into small towns such as Durango, Flagstaff, and Salida, vs. the local 5th generation conservatives . . . )
In the late 60s and 70s you had young Americans-inspired by the Civil Rights Movement and Anti-War Movement-entering into college in droves. These people were going to school to become lawyers, politicians, civil servants. Their plan was to change the system from the inside out. But, when they graduated and they began working as lawyers, politicians, et. al., they also began to make tons of money. Now they wear $100 sandals and eat $3 apples and shop exclusively at Co-ops while they cry 'Save the starving children of Africa!' But most of these people were middle to upper middle class to begin with. So it is no surprise.

By the way; this should be moved to the Politics Forum since you are more concerned with 'rigorous debate' between the right and left and have no intention of actually attending college in one of these cities.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:19 AM

Default Ultraliberal College Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
By the way; this should be moved to the Politics Forum since you are more concerned with 'rigorous debate' between the right and left and have no intention of actually attending college in one of these cities.
I stated above (or in the adjacent thread) that if I return to college for a grad degree, that it should be a far left liberal town -- since such places also offer an aggressive far right conservative defense, along with Libertarian and Green perspectives -- both on, and off campus.

Given that some towns such as Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe are relatively conservative, then there is less debate at colleges in these towns among political perspectives -- compared to the ultraliberal havens that you and others have discussed.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I stated above (or in the adjacent thread) that if I return to college for a grad degree, that it should be a far left liberal town -- since such places also offer an aggressive far right conservative defense, along with Libertarian and Green perspectives -- both on, and off campus.

Given that some towns such as Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe are relatively conservative, then there is less debate at colleges in these towns among political perspectives -- compared to the ultraliberal havens that you and others have discussed.

The thing is that you are not looking for a particular college or area of study. The motivation behind this tread is to find a place that has an extreme right and extreme left contingent with everything in between. Whether you may choose to go to grad school later in life is not the theme of this thread.

I suggested that you move this to the Politics Forum because you more than likely will receive better answers to what you are asking.

Your other thread in this forum, on the other hand, is more on point.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM

Default Liberal College Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The thing is that you are not looking for a particular college or area of study. The motivation behind this tread is to find a place that has an extreme right and extreme left contingent with everything in between. Whether you may choose to go to grad school later in life is not the theme of this thread.
You are not the moderator, and the thread is not going to be moved. I also stated that many young families and singles are looking for far left, tolerant places to raise a family w/ lots of young people - many of these types of places are College Towns - and many of us have lived in far right areas and are ready to move on.

Again, a far left college town provides a better academic environment, since both viewpoints will be represented in whatever field study you're enrolled in. No, I have not stated my future educational objectives because I am considering several options.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 AM

845 posts, read 2,328,149 times
I lived in Berkeley from 89-95 and the largest campus organization was the YAF. Also, I think the Asian students are more conservative than typical students.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
You are not the moderator, and the thread is not going to be moved. I also stated that many young families and singles are looking for far left, tolerant places to raise a family w/ lots of young people - many of these types of places are College Towns - and many of us have lived in far right areas and are ready to move on.

Again, a far left college town provides a better academic environment, since both viewpoints will be represented in whatever field study you're enrolled in. No, I have not stated my future educational objectives because I am considering several options.
I am not being condescending, I was honestly being helpful. I just think that you would have more replies if this was in another forum. If this thread was about a liberal college on the West Coast, it might be more active, however you are asking about liberal college towns -not the college.

[quote=CCCVDUR;12586690]I posted a poll in another thread asking what the most "Liberal" college town is in the West. I want to find a place where students and members of the community at large represent all political perspectives.

Generally speaking, the conservative position is represented at all Universities and in all communities, since it was present before the 1960's. However, very conservative college towns offer very little from the far left perspective. Therefore, one must look for far left liberal towns such as Berkeley, Santa Cruz, and Eugene.

Debate is valuable in and of itself, as it stimulates self-analysis and critical thinking. If I ever go back to get a masters degree, I would want to be in an ultraliberal place, where there is significant debate and contoversy. I am generally Libertarian, and I like to sit back on the sidelines, and watch both sides. Therefore, I'm looking for a place where both the far left and far right can freely express themselves, and vigorously challenge each other.

I know that there are many "centerists" reading this in various liberal arts disciplines who are looking for the same thing! My former locations of Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe were unexpectedly conservative, and I would never attend the Universities in these places. I hesitate about Boulder, as the place isn't socially liberal enough. I graduated from the UW, however, would not want to live in Seattle again, but watching the political debates there is enthralling.

On my poll, it looks like places that are generally thought to be liberal such as Boulder, Flagstaff, and Santa Fe didn't get that many votes. I would not want to move or go back to college in these places, since the far left would not be as visible. Also, I think a college town doesn't qualify as liberal, unless it has a Church of Scientology, Jewish Community Center, Gay and Lesbian Center, Sierra Club Chapter, and I could go on and on.

Specifically, where can one find both the far left and right represented along w/ vigorous debate?[/QOUTE]This is your other thread in the College and University Forum. It is political in nature, which is probably why it only has three replies since it has been posted. Repost this, just for kicks, in the Politics Forum or the General US Forum and will get a ton of replies that may be more alone the lines of what you are looking.

Anyways, if you really want a far-left liberal college surrounded by a libertarian or conservative environment, you need to look at the North East. Vermont would be a good place.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 AM

[quote=[B] Spe[/b]cifically, where can one find both the far left and right represented along w/ vigorous debate?[/QOUTE]

Oregon - This could explain why the obscure, little known college town of Eugene, Oregon is doing surprisingly well in the poll...

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Oregon: Swing State or latte-drinking, Prius-driving lesbian commune?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities