Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Is The Most Liberal College Town In The Western US?
Eugene, OR 6 11.32%
Corvallis, OR 1 1.89%
Ashland, OR 1 1.89%
Porland, OR 2 3.77%
Olympia, WA 3 5.66%
Bellingham, WA 0 0%
Seattle, WA 3 5.66%
Berkeley, CA 27 50.94%
Santa Cruz, CA 5 9.43%
Boulder, CO 3 5.66%
Flagstaff, AZ 1 1.89%
Santa Fe-Albuquerque, NM 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,979 times

Advertisements

On City-Data forums, including Oregon, many people - especially young families and singles - ask if a college town with a young demographic is "liberal" or "accepting." Here's a poll to assess the most liberal college towns in Oregon and the Western US. I've chosen 12 towns with a putative liberal reputation, with multiple examples in Oregon and Washington, for comparison purposes to Eugene. My intention is to see how "liberal" Eugene is rated, especially compared to Berkeley, Boulder, and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:48 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Plenty of good candidats, but a big omission,

You left out my illustrious alma mater, Arcata, CA, home of Humboldt State.

Eugene is liberal, with plenty of trustafarians, self-righteous vegans, eco-warriors who just stumbled out of the Forerunner that Daddy bought,etc. However, it is a big enough town, and close to Springfield, so I think you could certainly find a reasonably affordable place with an array of political perspectives within ten mile radius. A pretty place, and fun, but a bit wet for me.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 12-13-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM

Default Arcata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Plenty of good candidats, but a big omission,

You left out my illustrious alma mater, Arcata, CA, home of Humboldt State.

Eugene is liberal, with plenty of trustafarians, self-righteous vegans, eco-warriors who just stumbled out of the Forerunner that Daddy bought,etc. However, it is a big enough town, and close to Springfield, so I think you could certainly find a reasonably affordable place with an array of political perspectives within ten mile radius. A pretty place, and fun, but a bit wet for me.
Wow I sure did miss that one!

Any others?

Your description of Eugene sounds similar to Boulder on City-Data. Do you think Eugene is more liberal than Boulder?

btw, I did not re-locate this forum to the colleges site. I have no interests in Universities. I am moving it to Boulder.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 AM

Thanks! Keep it up! I could have predicted Seattle, Santa Cruz, and Berkeley, but not Ashland or Corvallis!
I spent part of my undergrad years at OSU (Corvallis), and it seemed like a conservative area at that time, but that was over 10 years ago . . .

Any more votes?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,665 times
I give a slight nod to Berkeley over Boulder.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 PM

151 posts, read 397,683 times
This poll's never going to give you any accurate results. Yes, Berkeley is hyper-liberal. But everybody's familiar with Berkeley and its reputation, so they're going to pull in more votes than they deserve. Not everybody knows about the oddity that is Evergreen State College...which seriously gives Berkeley and Santa Cruz a run for their money.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FentonForche View Post
This poll's never going to give you any accurate results. Yes, Berkeley is hyper-liberal. But everybody's familiar with Berkeley and its reputation, so they're going to pull in more votes than they deserve. Not everybody knows about the oddity that is Evergreen State College...which seriously gives Berkeley and Santa Cruz a run for their money.
I agree that most votes are probably going to go to Berkeley because it is the most known 'liberal' city, however, as someone who grew up on Nor Cal, I honestly do not think that Berkeley is as liberal as most would think.

My vote goes for Eugene, OR. UCSC is a very liberal college, but Santa Cruz itself has its share of rednecks. Humboldt State and Arcata are extremely liberal, but almost to the point of being so far to the left that they might as well be on the extreme right.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,596 times
You left out Palo Alto (home to Stanford) and Chico (home to Chico State). I vote for the People's Republic of Santa Cruz, personally; I lived there for ten years and it's a wonderful place. Sure, there are the old conservative Italian fishing families, the students, and, lately, the Silicon Valley commuters. The neat thing, though, is that all these groups mix. They go to the same restaurants and grocery stores, the same beaches and parks. They all pretty much love the place; they just fight about which way to make it better.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 AM

Default Evergreen State College Olympia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FentonForche View Post
Indeed, that's why I included Olympia (where Evergreen is) in the poll.

Does Evergreen still have the system where students evaluate the teachers, and teachers evaluate the students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I agree that most votes are probably going to go to Berkeley because it is the most known 'liberal' city, however, as someone who grew up on Nor Cal, I honestly do not think that Berkeley is as liberal as most would think.

My vote goes for Eugene, OR. UCSC is a very liberal college, but Santa Cruz itself has its share of rednecks. Humboldt State and Arcata are extremely liberal, but almost to the point of being so far to the left that they might as well be on the extreme right.
And could you elaborate on why you voted for Eugene, Oregon (University of Oregon)? Didn't know that about rednecks at Santa Cruz, why are they still there?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Indeed, that's why I included Olympia (where Evergreen is) in the poll.

Does Evergreen still have the system where students evaluate the teachers, and teachers evaluate the students?

And could you elaborate on why you voted for Eugene, Oregon (University of Oregon)? Didn't know that about rednecks at Santa Cruz, why are they still there?
Back in the 1960s and 1970s, Santa Cruz was libertarian. Back then freedom and independence made up the "counterculture." Today it is all about hypocrisy and political litmus tests. So while thje average parental income into UCSC has been at or near the top of the UC system,plenty of kids living out their green and lefty fantasies, before hopping into Mommy's Range Rover at quarter's end. Apparently from other posts, I see this model has spread.

And the libertarians? There are definitely fewer and fewer. SC is far more corporatized than it was in the past. Downtown is now longer as electic or creative as it once was. SC used to have an identity. Now it wants to be a cross between Seattle, Palo Alto, and Berkeley. It is wannabe in a big way.

And much like you see in other countries, the arrival of the newbies has pushed out the older generation to the fringes. For a taste of old Santa Cruz, go to Ben Lomond, Felton, & Boulder Creek on 9 and to Soquel and Freedom down on 1. But sadly, those places have probably changed as well...

My favorite barbershop is right next to Bookshop Santa Cruz. Hopefully, they are still there. Those guys were part of the older Santa Cruz, where cars, bikes, family farms, and music predominated. Now one sees is lattes and self-righteous trust fund babies...

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities