Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 05:58 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

I'm nearing my 50's and looking into another bachelor's degree program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:23 PM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm nearing my 50's and looking into another bachelor's degree program.
One of my son's medical school classmates was, I think, 51 when he graduated. He's very religious and plans to spend his elder years working as a doc. in Zambia.

As a 55yo. it's my contention that continuous learning is an elixir for the mind as we age. Go for it.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
I've tried to get a second bachelor degree but was always steered towards a master's program instead. The colleges I spoke to were not helpful. Some even said they don't grant second bachelor degrees.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
For my goals, a second bachelor's was superfluous. I needed the master's level to even enter the field, and I was able to start on that with really a single leveling class, required because my undergrad BA had been in a different discipline. My undergrad BA was highly useful preparation for the master's, regardless, and my professional life in the years in between getting my BA and MS more than prepared me to launch back into academia in grad school.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:32 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've tried to get a second bachelor degree but was always steered towards a master's program instead. The colleges I spoke to were not helpful. Some even said they don't grant second bachelor degrees.
I spent under $2,000 for my second bachelor's. It was in an entirely different area, so it was approved. Getting an MBA would have been more expensive, and I didn't need it.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:11 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
One of my son's medical school classmates was, I think, 51 when he graduated. He's very religious and plans to spend his elder years working as a doc. in Zambia.

As a 55yo. it's my contention that continuous learning is an elixir for the mind as we age. Go for it.
Wow, that is amazing, as is your son. Medical school seems like the hardest thing to go through both education wise and hands on. I couldn't imagine doing it at my age.

I agree with you, continuous learning is always great for the mind and soul. This time I want to learn a subject that I always found fascinating but may serve some purpose in the future.

By the way, I mentioned it earlier but two schools I am interested in admit those who already have a bachelor's degree. Some institutions allow it, others don't. One college close to me doesn't allow it.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

They was a lady (former nurse) who graduated from USC Medical School in LA, in her early 50's (when many doctors are starting to think about retirement) and become a general family care doctor, this was maybe 10 or so years ago I believe.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I spent under $2,000 for my second bachelor's. It was in an entirely different area, so it was approved. Getting an MBA would have been more expensive, and I didn't need it.
Maybe that is why colleges push a master's program, then. Because they aren't going to make as much money off a bachelor's. I really felt it was strange the way they pressured me to get a master's even though it would not have been in my best interest to get a master's degree from my prior college major.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Maybe that is why colleges push a master's program, then. Because they aren't going to make as much money off a bachelor's. I really felt it was strange the way they pressured me to get a master's even though it would not have been in my best interest to get a master's degree from my prior college major.
Sometimes, it's cheaper to get a master's instead of a second bachelor's, but I already had business credits from many years ago, and I also took a bunch of CLEPs and DSSTs.

I think schools discourage getting a second master's because, once you already have a bachelor's degree, you can get into most master's degree programs either without doing anything extra or after completing a handful of prerequisites. They don't think it makes sense to move laterally when you can go higher. In my case, an MBA would have been overkill, so I elected for a BS in Business Administration.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:29 AM

372 posts, read 220,456 times
I was admitted to University under a special 'mature age programme' .Had to be part time because I needed to make a living. took 9 years, with the full approval of the University.

Began studying at age 29, finished my BA at age 38. Loved being a student, and being around so many bright people. (of course I'm referring to the lecturers and tutors. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities