Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:50 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,043 times

Advertisements

~15yrs ago, the smartest kids were finishing Wharton undergrad in 2yrs, graduating summa in finance, by age 19 (and living in rental apts in suburban Cherry Hill NJ and driving to Phila for classes to avoid the additional ripoff of the slummy, unsafe dorms of WestPhila)....and less smart kids were finishing in 3yrs; retards needed 4yrs

And many of these fast-moving Wharton kids had amassed their AP/college credits while attending rather mediocre public HS in middle-income suburbs all over US; they just figured out what jobs they intended to eventually pursue when they were 10 or so, unlike retards who struggle with such basic career/life strategy decisions even as elderly 20-somethings

Common sense indicates one wants to gain a useful education as efficiently as possible and move on to most lucrative job and career one can enter using a famed college brand/major/GPA as a "union card"...not very complicated...Darwinian selection at work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 05:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,387,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
~15yrs ago, the smartest kids were finishing Wharton undergrad in 2yrs, graduating summa in finance, by age 19 (and living in rental apts in suburban Cherry Hill NJ and driving to Phila for classes to avoid the additional ripoff of the slummy, unsafe dorms of WestPhila)....and less smart kids were finishing in 3yrs; retards needed 4yrs
I really doubt that considering 1) more elite schools are generally stingier regarding taking AP credits and 2) even if that wasn't the case, many schools aren't exactly flush with AP offerings, especially 15 years ago.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
^^^Agreed. It sounds like BS to me.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I really doubt that considering 1) more elite schools are generally stingier regarding taking AP credits and 2) even if that wasn't the case, many schools aren't exactly flush with AP offerings, especially 15 years ago.
15 years ago, Wharton wasn't as competitive to get into as it is now. Average SAT was 1340 / 1600 (now it's nearly 1500 / 1600), and it was ranked 16th overall in the US World & News Report rankings (now it's #4).

Old 03-22-2010, 06:02 PM

314 posts, read 936,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

And many of these fast-moving Wharton kids had amassed their AP/college credits while attending rather mediocre public HS in middle-income suburbs all over US; they just figured out what jobs they intended to eventually pursue when they were 10 or so, unlike retards who struggle with such basic career/life strategy decisions even as elderly 20-somethings

Common sense indicates one wants to gain a useful education as efficiently as possible and move on to most lucrative job and career one can enter using a famed college brand/major/GPA as a "union card"...not very complicated...Darwinian selection at work
Just because you can't decide on what you want to do for your WHOLE life at 10 or 20 yr of age does not mean you are a "retard" it just means you are not sure. People change their careers all the time.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,372 times
Search for colleges that offer 4+2 years in 4 years. Skul work all year but I am happy for the opportunity. I am also glad to save the Masters money.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Great point made by whydoucare?

I am all for saving money but no money is saved when 17 yr olds are forced to decide what they want to do with their lives and square pegs are pushed into round holes

Changing majors is normal but it can be costly if one is changing from say, Nursing to Business.
I love Mythology, literature and Art History.

I have never once in my life served fries.
College is NOT a vo-tech school with fancy buildings.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM

My personal physician has an undergrad degree in art history. Don't call it useless.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM
kyt

73 posts, read 124,720 times
Well, your physician's art history degree is pretty useless.

Her MD degree, on the other hand, is not.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyt View Post
Well, your physician's art history degree is pretty useless.

Her MD degree, on the other hand, is not.
Her degree got her into med school. I wouldn't call that useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities