Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times

Advertisements

I don't see much point in finishing. A passing grade won't make any difference if you aren't going to continue on with whatever training you were planning on.

But don't blame this on other students or their cupcakes. Them passing, whether due to cupcakes or not, is not preventing you from passing. It's not an 'either you or them' situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM

76 posts, read 141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't see much point in finishing. A passing grade won't make any difference if you aren't going to continue on with whatever training you were planning on.

But don't blame this on other students or their cupcakes. Them passing, whether due to cupcakes or not, is not preventing you from passing. It's not an 'either you or them' situation.
But it will make a difference to ME and my resume. In this unemployed state I am I need all the stuff on my resume I can get.

As to their cupcakes, reminds me too much of sucking up to the boss. I believe in succeeding or failing sans cupcakes.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,372 times
I would say that if you like to add information that may seem useless to your potential employer because you already have a higher degree than most is really foolish.

Filling up pages of information just to provide more data on your resume is not what an interviewer would like to see. If you cannot complete a Community College course using P/F grading then drop it like hot cakes.

AN employer want to see what you are doing with your time off and what you have accomplished. Volunteer some time to a library, homeless shelter or an animal refuge service. Volunteering shows an employer you can multi task. Your resume will look great and you have a masters degree so why go to a CC? Try for your PhD as I am doing...

Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 PM

76 posts, read 141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I would say that if you like to add information that may seem useless to your potential employer because you already have a higher degree than most is really foolish.

Filling up pages of information just to provide more data on your resume is not what an interviewer would like to see. If you cannot complete a Community College course using P/F grading then drop it like hot cakes.

AN employer want to see what you are doing with your time off and what you have accomplished. Volunteer some time to a library, homeless shelter or an animal refuge service. Volunteering shows an employer you can multi task. Your resume will look great and you have a masters degree so why go to a CC? Try for your PhD as I am doing...

Synergy1, you just may have hit on something. Why after doing what I've done have I made the mistake of signing up for a course at a community college I don't like and don't even want to do for a living? It really is foolish, but ever since I've come to this state I've made no good decisions. If it's possible that living someplace can turn someone stupid, well, guilty as charged!

I do volunteer already and this is on my resume. I think what I might do is think about another master's or a PhD out of state and return to my former roots. Sure, it's a lousy time to sell but that just means it's a better time to buy elsewhere. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM

442 posts, read 965,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherday10 View Post
I'm not going to tell him I have a degree already. I at least think, in the interest of not being a quitter, I could attempt to have a dialogue with him (or email). He does strike me as not real friendly and he's actually a pharmacist by trade. I am not used to dealing with personality types like his. Half of me just wants to quit quietly and the other half of me says just ask him point blank what my chances are. Maybe if I really, really force myself I can catch up on the math. I just don't know how to deal with his lack of response to my email. I signed up for this course in part to see if my brain still works, and it does for certain things, but math has always been an issue for me. My master's concentration was marketing. I can do stats just fine, but not this solving for unknown sort of stuff.
You do know they have moderaters at schools that can go with you to your professor, that is what they are there for. But it sounds like you just want to quit, so go to the financial aid office and tell them, withdraw and get some of your money back.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Thanks, should I at least bother to send the instructor an email and inquire as to what my chances are? I am not normally a quitter. It's just that my brain doesn't do math well (at all) and I'm far behind. I sit down to do the problems and get almost every one wrong. I do well on tests when it's just information, but forget math. I don't know how I ever made it through calculus, but it did take me three tries to do so.

I could always just level with him and tell him I am having a problem with the math, ask him if I would really be expected to do that much math on the job and see what he says. When I emailed him the other day to tell him I would not be coming to class he didn't even respond to my email. He is one of those types of people. This is why I just don't know what to do.
It wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail, but on the other hand I don't think it really accomplishes anything since you already have a degree. Frankly, I'd just let it go.

It isn't going to impact your life, and you should just leave it off your resume.

I don't think it is necessary to bring everything to a positive closure, it is OK to let some stuff just go.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,831 times
Quote:
I'm not going to tell him I have a degree already. I at least think, in the interest of not being a quitter, I could attempt to have a dialogue with him (or email). He does strike me as not real friendly and he's actually a pharmacist by trade. I am not used to dealing with personality types like his. Half of me just wants to quit quietly and the other half of me says just ask him point blank what my chances are. Maybe if I really, really force myself I can catch up on the math. I just don't know how to deal with his lack of response to my email. I signed up for this course in part to see if my brain still works, and it does for certain things, but math has always been an issue for me. My master's concentration was marketing. I can do stats just fine, but not this solving for unknown sort of stuff.
Are you doing a pharmacy tech program?

If so, you could just go ahead now and take the CPhT exam

https://www.ptcb.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home1

and see about finding a job if you still want to.

The training is not required - it probably helps you network and may make you more confident, but you can take the exam without the training - you just buy the prep materials and self-teach. If you are looking to work retail pharmacy then you really need just the exam and someone willing to hire you.

Good luck and I hope you did not lose too much money. Some of those private schools charge way too much for the pharm tech programs.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,574 times
Math is part of it (whatever you're going to do). That's what kills most of the people going back; they don't expect to have to take it up to such a level
If you want info schedule an appointment with the person; email is so...(chances are they are not aware of your feelings).

It's the hoops; if you want it, you must jump (if you don't; drop it).

Good luck

Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
If you already have a masters degree, having a few community college classes on your resume is not really going to help you at all, in fact, it will probably hurt you. If a potential employer looked at your resume and saw a masters degree followed by some community college classes for a tech program the would wonder why you aren't doing something with your masters and probably pass over your resume. Then, if you do complete the tech program, any pharmacy is going to wonder why you have a masters degree yet want to work for peanuts as a pharmacy tech. Why not go for a PhamD?

Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Quote:
If it's possible that living someplace can turn someone stupid, well, guilty as charged!
If this, the instructor's personality, and the other students' cupcakes aren't enough of a dodge of responsibility, you can always blame the bad advice you get on an internet message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities