Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 AM

961 posts, read 2,027,151 times

Advertisements

The problem is not a degree.

The problem is a RANDOM degree which too many people do.

A random degree without leadership, and other unique experiences (education and real life) that make them competitive.

Yes, a bland degree is like a High School degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM

72 posts, read 151,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Just look at some of the jobs that ask for a bachelors. I've seen postings for being a receptionist or secretary that require a degree. How many schools do you know that offer a BS in Reception Science?

Now a days, many employers just use the requirement of a bachelor's degree to weed out the hundreds of applications that come through for each posting.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM

72 posts, read 151,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
The problem is not a degree.

The problem is a RANDOM degree which too many people do.

A random degree without leadership, and other unique experiences (education and real life) that make them competitive.

Yes, a bland degree is like a High School degree.

I agree. My best friend went to a TOP school and I have done much better than he has because instead of worrying about partying and buying expensive clothes in college, I was interning and networking. Now he has a fancy degree with massive debt and a waiter job while I rose through the rankings rather quickly with my little old bachelors degree from a public university.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
Not true at all...

The number of people going to college has increased a lot among young people, but those that actually graduate with a degree has been pretty constant at 30%, even among the 25-29 year old crowd (still around 30%). The keypoint is that more 50% of college students drop out today.
Thread should have been closed after this post.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
someone said that to me the other day. i told him he's full of it.

look at the numbers. 28 percent of Americans have a bachelors degree +

a bachelors will still get it done if you arnt wasting your time with a worthless degree like womens studies.

this is what im thinking down the road, next 20 years job wise.

think doing something global, say a global studies, a international relations type program where you pick up a language and pair it with some math or business is going to be valuable.

engineering, computer sciences will remain valuable.

dont waste time with crap like art studies, media studies.

people assume just because they get a bachelors they should have employers waiting for them, not true.

About 25-28% of Americans have bachelor's degrees. Less in some areas, more depending upon geographical region. Also, remember these statistics are self reported. So there may be some people who do not even have those degrees.

Woman's Studies is not "worthless", at all. It connects to a myriad of careers in the non-profit sector, social science related fields, and is a firm basis for someone who wants to continue their degree at the graduate or professional level. It's multi disciplinary nature gives it a great deal of flexibility.

It is also my minor.

What is "Art Studies" my son will major in "Studio Ar"t, which is not "crap".

No, college students do not have employers waiting for them. It's not a Vo-Tech school. It's a university. People need to package themselves correctly, with a good major and perhaps a minor. Uilise internships during the school year and in the Summer. Forget the summer job flipping burgers. Wanna talk about time ill-spent? Well a crap summer job is just that. Many internships are unpaid. On a resume, that looks even better.

All degrees are "worthless" if you do not do well in the subject and it does not resonate for you.

Square pegs do not do well in round wholes. And vice versa.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
In the ****ty economy that we have had for the past 4 years, yes a bachelors degree very much equals the high school degree of the past. Maybe in good economic times it doesn't, but for now it sure does.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
In the ****ty economy that we have had for the past 4 years, yes a bachelors degree very much equals the high school degree of the past. Maybe in good economic times it doesn't, but for now it sure does.
Then a HS degree equals a middle school one?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Then a HS degree equals a middle school one?
I wouldn't go that far, but without a doubt the value of a college degree is very much devalued from what it was worth during our parents or grandparents generations.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but without a doubt the value of a college degree is very much devalued from what it was worth during our parents or grandparents generations.
Sa can be said of HS diploma. It's all relative.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM

It frankly doesn't matter what a high degree is worth compared to a middle school certificate because both of those educations are free. College educations are not free. So if their worth is no more than a high school degree why should anyone get them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities