Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 29,937 times

Advertisements

As renters, my husband and I have never had a problem. Since my husband is in the military renting has been ideal and has given us flexibility to stay in one place for a couple of years and then move on to the next assignment. We've rented both apartments and homes and are currently renting our third single family home.

Recently, we've encountered a situation we never thought would happen. The last year we've been renting from a young military couple and thought everything was okay. The home was a newer one, built in 2006. We were within a month of signing a new lease (our one year lease was going to expire) and so we were expecting to sign either another one year or even two year lease.

A couple of days ago we were hit with a bombshell. The couple was reluctant to disclose their future plans to our property manager until we pushed and they revealed that the husband was being reassigned to the local area and intended to take possession of the property. We were really shocked by this because we had been under the impression that his current tour would last a couple of years. Apparently not.

These people strung us along for a week (along with our property manager). We were pretty much in limbo... hoping we wouldn't have to move and sensing that that wasn't going to happen. After about a week, our property manager gave us the bad news that they intended to come back to live in the property we currently lived in. We would only have about 30 days, which is routine notice in leases, to find a new rental property.

On top of all that, this couple scheduled a time to drop by the property, with the property manager, to make sure that we hadn't destroyed their "home." I found the visit really insulting because we've been diligent tenants for YEARS. We're a couple in our 30's and my husband is a field grade officer so we've always taken it upon ourselves to maintain any property we rent. Another reason I found this couple's expectation so insulting is that we made numerous improvements to the property such as putting in new ceiling fans, new blinds, and bringing back their lawn from the dead.

I "sensed" that we were going to have trouble with this couple because the wife was not one bit cooperative or happy to see us as tenants. Add to that, this couple's lack of consideration, communication, and common sense and you have the making of a horrible landlord. The whole experience has been surreal for both my husband and I and our property manager who was taken aback. However, it only got more surreal when, after the visit, our property manager left us a voice message revealing that the couple would let us stay in the home if we paid about $300 more in rent or, even, bought the property! Apparently, these people previously tried to sell the property without success and then decided to rent it for $1,295/month which really didn't cover their $1,650/ month mortgage (really high for this area).

I feel betrayed. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. My husband and I will have to shell out thousands of dollars to move our stuff to a new property. Factor in that we'll have to shell out another deposit for our two dogs and new rental property and first month's rent, and perhaps still paying at least prorated rent on the current property we're living in. Unbeknowst to many, the military will not cover your moving expenses if you have to move from a property after an initial PCS move, even if it isn't initiated by the military tenant but by the landlord. I would like that changed. We were good tenants who didn't destroy the property and if we had been given an accurate picture of the situation, we would never have signed a lease on this property.

The only saving grace in this situation is that our current property manager is helping us find a new home. Apparently, we've discovered that this couple is in serious financial trouble, cannot afford their mortgage, even with us paying for most of it. My husband and I have been saving for a house for YEARS and planned on possibly buying after he retires from the military. Unlike many military couples like this one, we do not feel comfortable buying a home until we know where we're going in life. Such concerns, I guess, never dawned on the young couple we rented from, who seem not to possess financial management skills, and still can even find somebody to loan them the money to buy a brand new Volvo sedan (this guy is just a 2nd lieutenant and his wife is a teacher and they don't make THAT much).

Needless to say, this whole nightmare has been a learning experience. Some things I've learned the hard way:

1. Never rent a newer/younger property unless you know the whole financial picture (whether the owners are upside down in their mortgage like our landlords are).

2. Do your homework. Look up public assessor records and ask more questions to determine the financial suitability of the landlord.

3. Trust your gut. I had initial concerns about the wife who was nothing but rude, uncooperative and sullen when my husband and I moved in.

4. Do not make any improvements to a property if you don't know whether you're staying for an extended period of time.

On another note, some people assert that the whole renting experience is a two way street between renter and landlord. This experience has revealed that this is not necessarily the case. I find it hypocritical that renters have to disclose their financial suitability but the landlord never does the same. I think that should be changed for the piece of mind of both parties.

My husband and I have always taken rental leases to base legal services. We'll be doing it again, but this time I want to consult the JAG on whether or not we can get military policy changed to reflect what is, in my opinion, a very volatile housing market and unfair playing field for military and civilian renters.

I hope my story can educate others not to do what my husband and I did. I don't want any upstanding, conscientious renter/tenant to go through what we did. Right now, my husband and I just want to get out of this hellish situation and away from this inconsiderate, selfish couple (who are a disgrace to the military). We've always rented from other military couples and now, I just don't know if I can ever trust another military couple, especially one in their 20's, until proven otherwise. Plus, the fact that these sorry leeches took advantage and didn't even give us more than 30 days to move really makes both of us angry. If this couple is the standard of what passes for the average military couple, than the military as a whole is in serious trouble.

I'm sorry, but I won't stay on a property at any price when my trust has been destroyed and I've been used to float a couple who do not possess the financial management skills or self-discipline to own a home in the first place.

My husband and I will try to rent more wisely the next time.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Wow, what utter nonsense. You rented for a disclosed term. The property manager did not give you an answer because she did not have one for you. It's over you have an option to pay more to stay or leave.

Get over yourself. The owner is entitled to make a visit to their property.

If you don't like it, buy something and live there.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
I'm sorry they have not extended your lease. Moving is not fun when it's not your choice.
All that said, let's be fair - understand that when renting, the landlord has no obligation to extend the lease beyond the term of the lease - nor do you. Had you wanted to move at the end of your lease, you would have been free to do so - even if the landlord wanted you to stay. (Hey, that's why they call it, renting!)

Try to look at it from the landlord's side. When a landlord rents to a military tenant, the tenant may break the lease if deployed. So the value of the lease is greatly diminished to the landlord. The landlord's lease is at the whim of Uncle Sam... and there is nothing he (the landlord) can do about it. Nevertheless, that's the risk a landlord takes when leasing to the military.

It sounds like the owner was moving back to town and wanted his/her house back. In accordance with the lease, the landlord gave you correct notice of his/her intensions to terminate the lease at it's expiration (rather than renewing the term or defaulting to a month to month).

They offered you an option to stay for a higher rent or to buy the house. I don't blame you for not accepting the offers but why the hard feelings?

Bluntly, what would you rather they do? Should they be expected to rent an apartment and renew your lease at the same rate ... all so that you don't have to move? I wouldn't do that.
I wonder if the situtation was reversed what would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs