Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 AM

56 posts, read 116,084 times

Advertisements

I keep wavering on my decision on where to move.... thankfully I haven't bought a house yet so I can waver all I want until October.

It's really a toss up between CO Springs (Northwest or Briargate areas) and Woodland Park. Some background information... I'm originally from Alaska (no brainer there) and absolutely hate the heat. I can deal with low 80's but anything mid or over that is horrendous. I'm in SD right now... hate it here. I hate living near the plains which is why I was thinking NW or Briargate in the Springs or Woodland Park. My daughter (11) is really into skiing and my son (8) die hard hockey player in his 3rd year playing. Both are active in scouts and love being in a pool. We love being outdoors and being around the wildlife... we'd move back home to Alaska if it wasn't so dang expensive.

I've done a decent amount of research on both areas and both areas have youth hockey teams, scouts, and summer sports. I've read conflicting things regarding WP on the forum here (drugs in the school, bored kids with nothing to do, ect). The few times I've been to the Springs has been in the fall (august timeframe) and it was absolutely beautiful and not too hot. I've really never been to WP except to drive through it on my way to the YMCA Shady Brook camp to pick up my kids.

Does anyone have any help on how they personally feel about both areas? I know on a few posts people have said to rent before you buy, but I am unable to rent due to the fact I've got a 8 month old puppy who is 28" at the shoulders and weighs 85-90 pounds and by the time he's a year old will top out around 120-150lbs and 30" at the shoulders (I've also got a boxer and 3 cats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 AM

oh and I should mention I love gardening so would need to do that, though I can build a greenhouse if needed to prolong the season - something I had to do in AK

Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,924,574 times
Have you looked into Monument or Woodmoor to be more precise. We are usually 5+ degrees cooler than COS, have pines, and are close to the USAFA North Gate. The Colorado Sports Center is in Monument for youth hockey and the Woodmoor CC has indoor swimming. There's also a newer YMCA.
I work with a couple of guys who live in WP and work at the Academy and the commute is not terrible, but not convienent either, especially in the winter. With school-age kids, I would recommend keeping the home-school-work triangle as small as possible.
Plus, if you are working on the Academy, you can use some of the amenities on base. I use the fitness center 3-4 times a week and it helps to live close.
Search this forum for more info. You might also look at Palmer Lake. It's a cute little town west of Monument at the base of the mountains.
We moved here from San Diego 6 years ago and highly recommend it

Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 AM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Agree, the Monument area is at least 5 degrees cooler than downtown, and often 7-9 degrees cooler. Has some trees up there too, and a greenhouse would provide a very long growing season, as well as keep the critters from munching it all up.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 AM

69 posts, read 223,684 times
It's hard to compare those two, they're completely different. To address a couple of your points though, Woodland Park usually seems to be around 10 degrees cooler than Colorado Springs, so never gets too hot. Successful gardening will require a greenhouse (a local group, the Woodland Park Harvest Center, is a good resource for gardening up here. www.wpharvestcenter.org | -- high altitude gardening ), though raised beds can also work, they're just subject to freezing and hail damage. WP is closer to skiing, and has a free public ice skating rink in the winter and lots of hockey players. No public pool up here yet, but there's strong support for it in the community so I expect it'll happen soon (but will require increased taxes to pay for it).

Old 08-15-2010, 04:31 PM

I did speak with a local realtor today about the area and talking with her cleared up alot of my concerns. So depending on how the house search goes next month and if I can find something within my budget and preferences I will be moving into WP in October time frame.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:03 PM

87 posts, read 220,030 times
Good deal!! I hope all goes smoothly.
umm...ya think you could bringme some halibut??

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSkyYonder View Post
Good deal!! I hope all goes smoothly.
umm...ya think you could bringme some halibut??

LOL ... Actually I do have 80lbs of halibut in the deep freezer. I "shipped" the kids back home to my dad for the summer and they went fishing fourth of july weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Conflicted... WP vs Springs....Opinions?-34856_10150227464705503_636840502_13546144_2308622_n.jpg  

Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM

87 posts, read 220,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Alaskan View Post
LOL ... Actually I do have 80lbs of halibut in the deep freezer. I "shipped" the kids back home to my dad for the summer and they went fishing fourth of july weekend.
Well why don't you ship the halibut to me and I'll keep it nice and safe till you get here, I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs