Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 PM

209 posts, read 607,162 times

Advertisements

One of the bases being considered for us for a military move is COS.

Initially I was really excited, as I love the outdoors and outdoorsy stuff, but now I'm not sure I will fit in. One of the first comments someone made to me was, "Sounds good...It's very Christian out there."

Now...I actually am a Christian. But I know what that means when someone says that...it means close minded and conservative. I'm not that...I'm liberal, a democrat, somewhat hippy, a vegetarian, I see no problem with evolutionism (in fact I think it was God's method of creating the earth--in no world do I believe in six-day creation), and a classical musician by trade. I also enjoy photography, opera, and health/fitness/nutrition/outdoors. I'm fairly highly educated.

Is this the type of place that is pretty eclectic? Can I find lots of organic food for vegetarian diet? Are there are lot of artsy things such as opera and other culture? Are there pockets where there might be a little bit more of a hippy vibe? The only place I have lived where I have actually felt I ever fit in with others (read: there were actually other democrats lol) was DC.

Also, where is Pueblo? housing seems to be cheaper there. Is it within 20 minutes (not miles, and not speeding--at regular driving) of a major metro area (COS, Denver, or Boulder?), or is that out in the middle of nowhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM

163 posts, read 376,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
One of the bases being considered for us for a military move is COS.

Initially I was really excited, as I love the outdoors and outdoorsy stuff, but now I'm not sure I will fit in. One of the first comments someone made to me was, "Sounds good...It's very Christian out there."

Now...I actually am a Christian. But I know what that means when someone says that...it means close minded and conservative. I'm not that...I'm liberal, a democrat, somewhat hippy, a vegetarian, I see no problem with evolutionism (in fact I think it was God's method of creating the earth--in no world do I believe in six-day creation), and a classical musician by trade. I also enjoy photography, opera, and health/fitness/nutrition/outdoors. I'm fairly highly educated.

Is this the type of place that is pretty eclectic? Can I find lots of organic food for vegetarian diet? Are there are lot of artsy things such as opera and other culture? Are there pockets where there might be a little bit more of a hippy vibe? The only place I have lived where I have actually felt I ever fit in with others (read: there were actually other democrats lol) was DC.

Also, where is Pueblo? housing seems to be cheaper there. Is it within 20 minutes (not miles, and not speeding--at regular driving) of a major metro area (COS, Denver, or Boulder?), or is that out in the middle of nowhere?
I can't help in most regards, but I can say that Pueblo is probably about an hour to Colorado Springs, that being the closest major metro.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I can't help in most regards, but I can say that Pueblo is probably about an hour to Colorado Springs, that being the closest major metro.
Thanks! That's WAY too far for me, lol. I'm not a country girl.

So it looks like if we go there it'd be COS. I'm just concerned about how conservative it is seeming like it might be.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM

163 posts, read 376,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
Thanks! That's WAY too far for me, lol. I'm not a country girl.

So it looks like if we go there it'd be COS. I'm just concerned about how conservative it is seeming like it might be.
Yeah, if you're talking a daily commute, I don't think I'd recommend going from Pueblo to CS.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
Yeah, if you're talking a daily commute, I don't think I'd recommend going from Pueblo to CS.
To be honest, it's not really a commute (I am self-employed) but I don't like living too far from a metro area. My max is 20 mins. thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Kit, you WILL fit in just fine. There are many people here of strong faith, but it is not overt and everyone gets along fine. No need to commute from Pueblo. We have enough organics and vegetarianism here to satisfy most requirements, we've a symphony orchestra, a few live theaters, a fair amount of music gigs, and tons of year-round outdoor activities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Kit, you WILL fit in just fine. There are many people here of strong faith, but it is not overt and everyone gets along fine. No need to commute from Pueblo. We have enough organics and vegetarianism here to satisfy most requirements, we've a symphony orchestra, a few live theaters, a fair amount of music gigs, and tons of year-round outdoor activities.
YAY! That's what I originally thought, but recently a few people have commented to me about how conservative it is, and anytime that happens, I get a little scared. haha. I would say I have a strong faith as well but conservative politically in general terms for other people I am not. I'm kind of a tree hugger. I tend to vote based on concern for social issues and not legislating my own personal beliefs, which, believe it or not, tends to get scorn or "you're not a real chrsitian" in many places i've lived, which is rather scary..you know the type...politics isn't religion? What do you mean? Of course it is! haha.

The only reason I was thinking of Pueblo was the housing prices seemed cheaper. But I'd rather COS I think, and pay more for less. I certainly don't want to be an hour away from any major metro area, so Pueblo is out.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,481 times
I echo Mike's sentiments. My wife and I moved here less than a year ago, and this was a concern for us as well (I've posted more than a few times on the subject). What we found was a live and let live community. Granted, we live in one of the more liberal neighborhoods, Old North End, and that was by design. If you're looking for the hippie vibe, check out Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs (I've seen souvenir T-shirts that read "Keep Manitou Weird"). The symphony here is quite good, and they just hired a new music director after an extensive search. Sorry, no opera that I know of, but that's what Denver's for. Plenty of farmers markets, organics, etc. You won't have any trouble finding them. There is no question that CS is very politically conservative (60-40 split between R's and D's from the last presidential election; pretty much the same in the recent mayoral election), with very strong anti-tax sentiment and concurrently a lot of squabbles over services; however CS is also pretty fiscally sound, unlike a lot of cities right now. If that's a problem for you, and you're looking for a liberal political scene, you need to check out Boulder, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Denver (bring lots of cash for either). Bottom line is that a lot of the reputation that CS has developed over the years as a ultra right wing enclave is wildly overblown, and a relic of some of the organizations that flourished here a couple of decades ago. We haven't had any trouble fitting in, and I doubt you would either. Good luck and Welcome to CS.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM

25 posts, read 50,513 times
I always get a chuckle when people talk about how "conservative" and "Christian" the Springs is. I grew up in the heart of the Bible Belt and the Springs is far from that.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks all! You know we live in the south right now and it's very Bible Belty, so I was just wondering if it would be like that.

Denver and Boulder aren't really an option, as my DH would be stationed near or in CS, but I had wondered about Pueblo because it came up on the housing website for military so I wondered how far it was. It too would be too far. We're not looking to spend that much on gas or commute time for him!

Looks like CS will be fine. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs