Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 AM

11 posts, read 21,577 times

Advertisements

Do all the house rentals now require credit checks? We are wanting to move out west because the job market here is so bad. As a result our once perfect credit is far from it now. We do own a house here in SC which we plan to keep and rent out through an agency. Would explaining these situations help with getting someone to rent to us or are they going to go strictly by what they see on a credit report? I keep finding houses that we could easily afford but all have fees for "application fees which include credit checks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 AM

641 posts, read 2,278,385 times
It's very common....even for crappy apartments. Everyone wants some kind of assurance.....can't say I blame them. It's not impossible to rent with so-so credit.

I suppose that if you're able to rent directly from the owner, vs. a realtor or management company, you may be able to get around it easier.

My good friend has always rented homes and is in one now, and he has no credit at all.....good or bad....just no credit history. In fact, he just got his first and only credit card.....and he's 43!

Anyways....all that is to say, it's doable. Might be a bit harder, but he always finds a place to rent. I'm sure you can also.

Check out craigslists for rentals...you might find a rental where you can work out an agreement with the owner directly.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,668,073 times
I doubt you'd be turned down based on credit alone. Worst case, they could require an extra deposit or something. My guess is it will depend on the owner and how eager they are to rent the home. Most landlords would be willing to overlook minor credit problems, if other areas such as income, work history, criminal history, etc are ok.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,382,594 times
I wouldn't be too worried about it, I was approved for every apt I applied for , even the super nice ones, and I have a house forclosure on my record, no thanks to an awesome ex wife.

If you show them the money, they'll usually approve you.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,105,899 times
I got around credit checks in the past by showing I had money saved up. I was just too young to have a strong credit history.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:24 AM

74 posts, read 200,562 times
We had great credit and great income a few years back...THEN..my income as a mortgage loan officer bit the dust. So we both went back to school. As college students w/ 4 kids..we've struggled financially at times and our credit has taken a beating! Rolling mortgage lates and unpaid medical bills etc.
I'm thinking by showing a rebound after school and having a few months rent saved up...plus being willing to pay 2 months in advance should get us around any FICO score issues for renting. We'll be looking to rent something for 1500-1800 per month.. for 1-2 years before buying in the area. I havent not owned a home in many years but the lesser responsibility may be nice, especially temporarily.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 11,054 times
Smile moving west as well from KY

My husband, 5 year old daughter and I are moving to Colorado as well because of the downturn economy and my being downsized. I am dealing with a foreclosure at this time but it's not going to show on my credit rating because I filed bankruptcy 6 years ago shortly before things really crashed here. Im not sure what the bankruptcy will do to me although I've managed to hang onto the house until just this month. They haven't actually filed it yet though. Anyways, this and other posts have been super helpful. Thank you all. Just hope the Colorado natives don't get sick of those of us moving west

Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Kentucky actually isn't all that bad, especially the Lousiville area. If I could live there, I would.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Kentucky actually isn't all that bad, especially the Lousiville area. If I could live there, I would.
I found Bourbon County to my liking.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I found Bourbon County to my liking.....
I went to the Maker's Mark distillery awhile ago, and did their around the world tour. I haven't been that drunk in my entire life. I don't know what's in that stuff, but god is it different than say, Jim Beam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs