Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

MidniteBreeze, thanks for the added insights, I agree with all you said. That old north end with the tree lined streets is just gorgeous. Still, we opted for a new house with all the gee-gaws up here on the northeast side and love it.

s/Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 09:50 PM

137 posts, read 774,575 times
Curious:
We moved here from rural northern Alabama. My entire family on both sides had lived there for generations. I lived within 10 miles of 2 sets of grandparents, 10 sets of aunts and uncles, and 21 cousins. I cried myself to sleep every night for I don't know how long, and missed my Granny like nothing in the world. It was probably about 6-8 years before I really considered this "home". But I wouldn't change it for the world. Now for my kids, they have all of their grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins here.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:37 PM

119 posts, read 705,892 times
CSColorado,

Wow that sounds so sad to leave all those relatives behind. But I'm glad you got used to living away from everyone. I don't think my kids will be too affected by the move.....it will probably be me crying myself to sleep! LOL I hope it's not for 8 years though. The good thing is my kids will be around cousins they haven't had the opportunity to be around yet. We'll all do fine.

Mike, thanks for all the district info. I really do want a new home too, but when I walk into an older home sometimes I think they're neat and truly do have a lot of character and history. I just don't like the maintenance that comes with them. I'll check out the old north CS when we move. We'll rent for a while I"m thinking and then settle down somewhere. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:29 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,271 times
Curious,

I think your idea of renting first is a good one...take some time to get to know the city and hopefully you'll find a good combination of house and neighborhood for your needs. Sometimes you can find some newer homes near some of the more "established" neighborhoods, but you'll have to look around a bit. We came really close to buying a cute little tri-level (built sometime in the early 90's...pretty "new" for younger folks like us anyway!) in the western part of town.

Mike, glad to hear you're having such a great retirement and that you enjoy where you live so much. Your enthusiasm is contageous So nice of you to spend so much of your time helping other folks out.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM

Midnite,

Thanks that sounds like a good plan. I did notice some older neighborhoods having a couple new homes here and there and I also noticed some of the homes built in the 70's to be pretty cool looking on the inside. They had some architectural details about them that I don't notice in the newer homes. But then again, everytime we went through all the wonderful model homes on our visits out there I was in awe and totally saw myself living in a new home. There's good and bad with both I suppose. And I don't think every new neighborhood out there is totally cookie cutter, but I did notice while being out on Powers Blvd and looking east that there were some neighborhoods with homes that all had exactly the same roofline all piled next to one another. That's the part I don't like. I appreciate the newer developments trying to mix things up a little and give owners more options and different exteriors to similar models. I think ideally I would want a neighborhood with good schools, lots of kids similar in age to my own, houses spread out a little bit, some rolling hills incorporated into the landscape with grass and some trees.....oh yes and views of the mountains. All for an affordable price of course! Hopefully there's something like that for us. I'll have to do my homework (no pun intended).

Old 09-13-2006, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 42,299 times
Curious in CT- I don't know if you check this post or not but I wanted to know if you made the move yet?

My husband & I are looking to relocate where there is still a "small town feel" with good schools and friendly people. What did you find? Was it all you expected?

Thanks.

Mag

Old 09-13-2006, 03:10 PM

Mag,

I would love to say that I'm living out there already but I'm still stuck in CT waiting for my house to sell and for my husband to get a "final" offer of employment from the CSPD. If all goes as planned we'll be out there in December. I'm not sure exactly where we will end up once we move (if we move) but I'll check everything out from the northern end of town to Falcon to Monument to Manitou and maybe the northwest section of town...I know...I'm all over the place. But I don't think I'll truly know where I want to be until I'm actually out there. And once I am and find my own oasis, I'll write this forum and let you all know! I hope its EVERYTHING I expect it to be since I'm moving 2,000 miles from home!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Mag, you should really look into Monument (just a few minutes north of the Springs- near the Air Force Academy)... Of course, I may be a bit biased...

Old 09-15-2006, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 42,299 times
Curious- I hope it all works out for you! I'm just starting to do my research and seem to be all over the place as well. I want a nice quiet but active place with shopping close by but not in my back yard... ya know?
Good luck and please keep us posted!

CSColorado- I am doing some research on zip 80920 which is I believe in that area... up by the academy that is. It's called Meadow Ridge??

What can you tell me about that area? I don't know if I mentioned, I'm Latin and my husband is Caucasian... Should we be concerned? I never thought I'd have to ask but after reading other posts on this site, I have to ask!

We are looking for a 5 bd, 2 ba, 2 car garage, on .21+ acre lot w/no dues..Looking to spend $250 to $300 if the place is right. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mag

Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 AM

Sorry such a delay in answering these posts- I've been sick this last week and glued in bed. Our wireless router went out during a lightening storm- so I couldn't use my laptop...
80920 is a little south of where I had mentioned. Northgate (80921) is just north of Briargate (80920), and the Monument/Tri-Lakes area (80231) is just north of Northgate. I live just a few minutes east of Monument in Black Forest (80908).
I don't really know any reason for you to be concerned about the Latin/Caucasian thing. I really can't imagine that anyone anywhere around here would care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs