Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM

31 posts, read 96,509 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, your suggestions are very helpful.

Ryan, the way the mechanic has explained it pre-2000 the Turbo was just that a turbo with no option to turn it off so you are in turbo all the time, my daughters 2008 or 2009 Legacy has a switch so you can be in regular or turbo mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,837,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjh1976 View Post
Ryan, the way the mechanic has explained it pre-2000 the Turbo was just that a turbo with no option to turn it off so you are in turbo all the time, my daughters 2008 or 2009 Legacy has a switch so you can be in regular or turbo mode.
That makes no sense. There is no such thing as a turbo switch.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM

236 posts, read 479,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
That makes no sense. There is no such thing as a turbo switch.
there is probably an adjustable blow-off (all done electronically of course) which boosts the pressure to their rated max pressure output.

but the turbo is always active/spinning since it is driven by exhaust pressure. Only a roots style blower can be flipped off or on...

think Mad Max

Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
there is probably an adjustable blow-off (all done electronically of course) which boosts the pressure to their rated max pressure output.

but the turbo is always active/spinning since it is driven by exhaust pressure. Only a roots style blower can be flipped off or on...

think Mad Max
Pretty sure you mean wastegate actuator, not BOV? Blow off valve is there to relieve the pressure when the throttle body suddenly closes when you get off the gas. It stops the impeller from stalling. Turbo diesels don't even have BOV's as diesels don't have throttle bodies. At lease that is my understanding from owning a few turbo's.

Gotta love Mad Max - Bonus point for mentioning that movie since I'm an Aussie!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Just re-read your post and realized you said blow off, not blow off valve (BOV).

Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure you mean wastegate actuator, not BOV? Blow off valve is there to relieve the pressure when the throttle body suddenly closes when you get off the gas. It stops the impeller from stalling. Turbo diesels don't even have BOV's as diesels don't have throttle bodies. At lease that is my understanding from owning a few turbo's.

Gotta love Mad Max - Bonus point for mentioning that movie since I'm an Aussie!
yes true, the terminology is a bit off but I am not a turbo kinda guy anyway the diesels in my shop go to the other side of the building...

ps: I have the first two movies on Blue Ray, some of my first purchases.

Road Warrior intro narration - YouTube

Last edited by Cosmic Artifact; 03-08-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 10:06 AM

486 posts, read 1,497,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjh1976 View Post
Proveick! Where do I get one of those hot little beasts? My hubby said that's the one for me. LOL!
I know! where did you find that thing Proveick! sign me up!

I drive a Honda Pilot SUV and it is fantastic, reliable, tough. I swear by it! My last 3 vehicles have been Honda Pilots - I would still have my original one but the lease comes due every 3 years so I always trade in for a newer one. Though it breaks my heart to trade in a perfectly good, reliable vehicle which I have never had any issues with!

Solid as a ROCK!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
yes true, the terminology is a bit off but I am not a turbo kinda guy anyway the diesels in my shop go to the other side of the building...

ps: I have the first two movies on Blue Ray, some of my first purchases.

Road Warrior intro narration - YouTube
Well if you own a shop I'm sure you know a lot more about engines that me, the arm chair engineer

Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Well if you own a shop I'm sure you know a lot more about engines that me, the arm chair engineer
haha! (the shop I work in) I was reading too much the other day or my mind wasn't spot on as it usually is discussing cars. I usually try not to take the job home with me, a little something I have learned over the years...

"Mad Max is cooler than Fast & Furious"

Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
"Mad Max is cooler than Fast & Furious"
Anything is cooler than fast & furious.

It's so refreshing to watch a 70-80's movie as they usually had real stunt/performance driving. Although IIRC Mad Max did speed up the film in a few places.

Anyway getting back on topic, my 04 Forester XT with a manual tranny only gets 19-20mpg here in the mountains. But it can pull the mountain passes at ridiculous speeds. My 8000lb diesel truck gets 18-19 mountain driving with a lead foot.

I hate FWD cars, but (as someone mentioned already) a TDI VW with snow tires all round would be a great option if you wanted to get great MPG and not loose power in the mountains. Pretty sure there is/was a Jeep with a 3L turbo diesel engine option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs