Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

Huh. Well all I can say is that when i was coming into town on December 21, 2011, driving down Powers to our new home from an errand we had to run up north, I saw a fleet of like FIVE city trucks weaving back and forth like a wave across Powers, dropping sand. I was impressed. Eight years in Des Moines Iowa, I never saw anything like that. But Des Moines is kind of lame about snow removal...which is worse, since the sun will NOT melt it off. They wind up with several inches of accumulated layers of packed snow and ice that never goes away during the entire winter sometimes, on some streets. They've got one bridge with steam pipes running under the pavement, that actually keeps the snow melted on it, and it's a major artery into downtown so that is a good thing...but everything else was hit or miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Colorado Springs has a pretty limited snow removal fleet due to budget, etc., so they prioritize main thoroughfares - you will see them all over those main arteries, but not on side streets in most cases. The plan they use I think doesn't really have them get to side streets until 24 hours later, which by that time in Colorado Springs storms usually means the snow is already gone, anyway. FYI

Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Colorado Springs has a pretty limited snow removal fleet due to budget, etc., so they prioritize main thoroughfares - you will see them all over those main arteries, but not on side streets in most cases. The plan they use I think doesn't really have them get to side streets until 24 hours later, which by that time in Colorado Springs storms usually means the snow is already gone, anyway. FYI

That's usually the case, but It never bothers me anyway. I have a big 4 wheel drive Dodge, and I grew up in the snow belt of NE Ohio, I think nothing of doing 80 in a whiteout blizzard lol.

People that think the snow in COS is bad are laughable.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
It doesn't bother me, either, but it may contribute to some people's perceptions about snow removal - they're focusing on the street in front of their house, which is far removed in the timeline of snow removal plans in this city.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Actually I have no worries about streets in front of my house per se, it's more what I consider dangerous spots like hills...if I have to make it to work one morning that it's snowing or just snowed, I don't want to slide down a hill right into an intersection. On my current path to work, there's only one spot that concerns me, and that is the approach along Palmer Park Rd that curves and slopes sharply down to meet Circle at that intersection where the "Smoker Friendly Gas-A-Mat" business is. If that little spot of hill is slick, people will slide right out into Circle, and it could get ugly. There are any number of places like that in the city. They should really take geography into consideration in where they sand/salt/cinder/etc.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There is better snow removal in Chicago because there is more snow in Chicago - and a bigger city budget, too, I bet....
Many years ago I read that even Chicago's fleet of city trash trucks are fitted with plows. Reading this told me that Chicago has a "fully mobilized" stance on snow removal; they get a lot of snow and they deal with it in a serious manner. Their trash trucks certainly get into the residential side streets, and the drivers know those streets since they drive them every week, year round.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Many years ago I read that even Chicago's fleet of city trash trucks are fitted with plows. Reading this told me that Chicago has a "fully mobilized" stance on snow removal; they get a lot of snow and they deal with it in a serious manner. Their trash trucks certainly get into the residential side streets, and the drivers know those streets since they drive them every week, year round.

Chicago also has winters so bad that sometimes they don't see the ground from October to April.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
"I have a big 4 wheel drive Dodge, and I grew up in the snow belt of NE Ohio, I think nothing of doing 80 in a whiteout blizzard lol.'
Do you think this is a really good idea?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Yup, not like here where we're surrounded by sissies that are afraid of their own shadow. 2 snowflakes hit the ground and all the roads are at a stand still.

I pay snow no attention, I drive as though it's not even there. Never had, nor caused an accident in the over 25 years I've been driving.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 PM

562 posts, read 989,665 times
Sorry for the delay, everyone. Busy week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Quick note about the "military town, people don't live here forever" thing...there is a visible number of people who put stickers on their cars to reflect that they have done just that. "NATIVE" is what you'll see...and it strikes me as funny, to brag about having never lived anywhere but one place or whatever. But Colorado is so beautiful, it's like they are putting forth that they've got a bit more right to claim it than a newcomer...or something...Colorado pride...

Like Maynerd says, what you're into will make all the difference. If you're uber-geeky like me, we've got tons of gaming shops and RPG and card games all over the place. If you are out-doorsy, you'll be in heaven. If you need an activity to introduce you to people, take a class at one of the several colleges maybe or volunteer for something. We've got sports if sports are your thing. There is no hot, swingin' big city nightclub scene, but there are cool downtown areas, central, OCC, and Manitou, where arts and culture are more vibrant. The people are friendly. You'll do fine.

As for driving, no the traffic isn't bad, but we have some issues with speeding and light-running and accidents caused by that kind of behavior. Nothing compared to any major city I've lived near. Some roads are in better condition than others. Yeah, Maynerd was spot-on about the snow, but between the 2-3 snows you might get in a month of winter, last year we had temps in the 50's and occasionally the 60's, with the warm sunshine it felt great. And road crews do an excellent job of clearing snow and dropping sand etc. to make it easier to drive when it's bad. The city may have some infrastructure issues, but that isn't one of them.
I am really into geeky stuff and esoteric stuff so things like RPG/Card-game shops and mystic shops really appeal to me. I figure that the extremely conservative nature of the region means that I probably won't find the latter in the area. I am a practicing Wiccan, so I hope that doesn't undermine me having a decent social circle like it sort of happens here already.

Good to hear there is lots of opportunity in the IT arena though. I figured with defense related things but my application is actually in the insurance industry right now. As far as snow, I am not terrified of it. I am come from an area with a fair amount of it and poor removal so I have learned to adapt in that area, still if I could have less of it that would be nice. I think I have decided that I prefer the smaller metro of COS to Cleveland in size at least, meaning other cities I am looking at will probably be in the size class of Colorado Springs.

Also, I am looking to rent since there is no guarantee I will stay in an area for too long. Safe areas are definitely a plus, especially safe apartment complexes which are in short supply where I am from now.

Is there any sort of mass transit system in the city? Bus or rail? I get the feeling that it will be a resounding NO but I might as well ask. I am a bit outdoorsy and prefer to bike over drive if I can. A neighborhood that is accessible and bike friendly is more ideal but safety trumps other facets. I think the transient-ness of the population will be something that I like since it won't be so clannish like here where I feel like I am not able to be apart of any social circles because I am not from the area.

Thanks again, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs