Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 11,502 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Next May I will graduate with a Bachelor's degree in elementary education at the age of 21. I have always thought the Colorado Springs/Denver area would be a cool place to move when I "grew up." Now I can actually make that a reality. I have researched both areas and have decided that Colorado Springs would probably be a better fit for me.

I will be looking for a job teaching elementary school. What can you tell me about the different school districts in the Springs? What does the job market look like for me? Also, I will be graduating with a teaching certification for Texas. What can you tell me about the reciprocity of my licence and what I will need to do in order to be certified for Colorado?

I will be moving with my small dog who can just be satisfied with a daily walk to release energy. I am not one for hustle and bustle, but prefer a quiet place to live. I do not require to be near "night life." I wouldn't mind living in an area with families or older people. I require a safe place to live. Easy access to shopping and restaurants would be nice but not mandatory. The beautiful mountains is one thing that drew me to this area so a view would be nice. What part of COS would be best for me? Any suggestions on apartments to look in to?

Thank you in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Check with http://www.cde.state.co.us/ for reciprocity - and whatever you do, get started on it early - it is unlikely you'll land a job without an active Colorado certification. The teaching market can be competitive. It sounds like you might like living around the north half of Powers Blvd like Stetson Hills perhaps. The one district most people say to avoid is Harrison District 2, and I would say so ESPECIALLY for employment. Also be wary of charter schools for employment, but that might not be a terrible option to get you out here if that's what you really want - I just don't think anyone makes a career out of charter school teaching.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach_ac View Post
Any suggestions on apartments to look in to?
My sister-in-law (spouse of my wife's brother) moved to Colorado Springs with a brand new teaching credential in her early 20's from a mid-western state (15ish years ago now, my how time flies!). By the time I met her 10 or so years ago, she'd established herself in a teaching position, not sure how long it originally took, but it is a "who you know not what you know" world wherever you are. The way she managed the living arrangment thing (before she met/married her engineer spouse, had kids and quit teaching - cliche but it happens) was to rent-out finished basements of nice older ladies she met at church. That worked great for her - the older single ladies appreciated having someone around and she had a nice safe place in nice neighborhoods for very low rent.

That was one approach that worked. Obviously, you could just get an apartment too. Good luck. I once made a similar move to Colorado (Denver) roughly 20 years ago and have never ever regretted taking that chance. It's never 100% easy but if you don't follow your dreams when you're young and unencumbered when the heck will you ever? By the way, brother and sister in law have since moved back to mid-western state of origin for employment reasons, so ya just never know!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Also be wary of charter schools for employment, but that might not be a terrible option to get you out here if that's what you really want - I just don't think anyone makes a career out of charter school teaching.
What do you mean by this? I haven't heard any of this about charter schools.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
it is a "who you know not what you know" world wherever you are.
What advice do you have for me in regards to this? How should I approach the job hunt in COS?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM

45 posts, read 154,816 times
I lived in Colorado Springs a very long time. I think Colorado Springs has great areas for many people. For example,
North and Westside are very good for retiree's.

I would not recommend Colorado Springs through for getting a job in education. The Colorado Springs area has had
a downward trajectory on birth-rates for years. The school-aged population is declining in Colorado Springs and
the amount of resources allocated to schools is going to be among the lowest in the state. Exceptions are Districts 12
and 20 which have higher property taxes and base. They are also the districts that serve most of the well-off
neighborhoods in Colorado Springs.

I know the one district that has had huge increases in enrollment D-49 has a extremely low amount of resources and
I have heard the student to teacher ratio is very high.

I would think that Douglas County schools would probubly be more ideal as the district has alot of resources, very
huge enrollment increases in the last decade and probubly an overall better environment to be successful and effective
in the field.

I would think the St. Vrain and Cherry Creek Schools further up north would be a better environment. They have lots of resources and the districts are in areas with large amounts of school aged populaion

Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
St. Vrain had HUGE money problems - the worst in the state by far - several years ago. I'd think twice about them. Douglas County is having some serious issues with unhappy employees this year - might be worth a Google search to learn more if one wants to seriously think about them as well. To be honest, the educational profession is a hard profession to choose - lots of politics involved, low pay, ever-increasing work load and stress. So that being said, I don't think any place it drastically better or worse than another, but yes, there are some that I would stay away from long term - however, to get your foot in the door I'd just get in wherever I could. However, if you come in to a charter school as your first place, your chances of transferring over to regular public aren't as good. So start out in a regular public school district, wherever you can, and then after you get here start getting the lay of the land and move to where you want and can.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
Charter Schools pay much less than public. I have 8 years of experience with a master's degree. I received a $10,000 pay bump leaving a charter and going to a public school. There are teachers that are very dedicated to teaching in charter or religious schools.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach_ac View Post
What advice do you have for me in regards to this? How should I approach the job hunt in COS?
Be positive, respectful, persistent, and do whatever it takes (that is legal) NOT to become discouraged. Eventually, you will begin to know people and that will work in your favor. Being in the right place at the right time (luck) will help. With talent, perseverance, luck, and good social skills, you should be fine.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
Two or three years ago all 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year teachers (to the district) were let go from Douglas County Schools. I think they've had a new superintendent since then and have also turned things around.

There is a lot of "who you know" ...that is right... but everyone is weighed on their own merits (at least with my specific school)... there are a lot of people who apply for jobs that aren't qualified. If I know my friend is qualified, and I encourage them to apply, and they are the only ones who would fit the job... that's not patronage, that's happy that we found a qualified instructor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs