Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times

Advertisements

Survey: Number of El Paso County homeless has changed little in recent years

I don't know how these numbers compare to other areas of similar size....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
I wish we could make it illegal to be homeless they really ruin the downtowns appeal.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:22 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,585 times
Wow.

Should we buy them a one way bus ticket so we can forget about them? I mean once they're not our problem then who cares, right?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
I think they should be put into work programs if they don't comply throw them in prison. Theirs no place for people lounging about in the streets all day.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,585 times
Most of the homeless are mentally ill. So why not invest in treatment for them rather incarcerate them for their disease? Jail would only make their disease worse. You have to actually fix the problem, not have a solution that makes things worse.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
And worse, many are vets who were able to fight for our country but were unable to sustain themselves once they got back from the war.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Send them all to LA via a bus ticket

Old 07-15-2015, 11:12 AM

67 posts, read 108,707 times
There are legitimate cases of homelessness.....and there are other cases where they are too !$&@%# lazy to work. I don't know if I agree with the "most are mentally ill" statement, either. Certainly some are, but I doubt it is over 50% which would be needed make the word "most" a fact. I'm tired of supporting laziness. I'm tired of my taxes feeding steak, twinkies and Doritos to lazy people. I'm tired of seeing healthy people of all ages standing at intersections asking for handouts. I'm tired of the "need gas to get to Fort Collins" B.S. at gas stations. I'm tired of thinking- "poor dog" when I see losers asking for money to feed themselves and using the dog for sympathy. I'd like to see tent camps outside of town for subsidized housing, thereby freeing up the in town rentals for working people to afford. I'd like to see separate lines at the grocery store for welfare card holders so I can get in and out faster when going to and from my job. A separate line may also help put the shame back into welfare like when I was young and food stamps looked like Monopoly money, so everyone knew you were lazy. I'd like to see incentives put in place for welfare recipients to work at least part time or we SLASH their benefits. How about we have them shovel sidewalks, mow TAXPAYERS lawns or weed my decorative rock in my yard? Or is that abusing their rights? There is way too much abuse of the system AND VERY LITTLE BEING DONE to change anything. I don't care about their "rights" to have a cell phone paid for by MY tax dollars. I'd prefer to sustain them with rice and beans while providing shelter that consists of a tent or other simple structure that may give them the ambition to get off their *** and make a better life for themselves by working even several lousy jobs to make ends meet. Just like so many other self respecting, proud, motivated people do every day. I spoke with a person the other day who works at two convenience stores and mows lawns all summer to try and earn a living. THAT is the type of person who deserves a little assistance in my opinion. Do you think that person rolls a grocery cart full of beef, frozen pizzas, chips and salsa and other overpriced FREE food up to the checkout at King Sooper a couple times a month? I doubt it.
And please, I don't want to hear anymore bleeding hearts telling me how so many didn't have the same opportunity as others growing up, blah, blah, blah. If you are so concerned, YOU cough up the money to pay to help them. YOU find the way to break the chain of generations of welfare abuse if you don't think my idea of taking it away and limiting luxuries like steak, shrimp and coca cola on the food cards while living in apartments with televisions and cell phones is something they all deserve for sitting on their *** and possibly having more children they can't support.
This is America! Opportunities exist everywhere for anyone with enough ambition to work hard and make a better life for themselves without taking handouts from the government. I pay taxes with the hopes of the money being spent on schools, roads, infrastructure and other priorities verses supporting lazy, unproductive, unambitious losers who feel entitled to a better way of life without having to do it for themselves.
And EVERY SINGLE recipient of so much as one dime of government assistance should be subject to random drug and alcohol testing as a requirement to keep collecting. ONE strike and you are out. Just like so many people with jobs have to do to earn money.

We are on a downward spiral in this country as more and more people depend on handouts. We hear how social security may run out......but we never hear how welfare may run out. The ugly truth is we will eventually go broke. So spending less on those who do not pay taxes is the fastest way to reduce costs. Sorry welfare recipients, we need to support the workers first. Here is some rice and beans, a well for you to get water and a tent. That is your free food, water and shelter.

If you don't like it.....go get a job.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:21 AM

177 posts, read 315,064 times
At least we are NOT Denver w/ the 16th St. Mall there, truly scary!!

Old 07-15-2015, 11:23 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Didn't see any homeless last week in Grand Junction, didn't see any potholes either, the area looked really nice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs