Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM

19 posts, read 23,412 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are moving to COS from California since he got his dream job. We are in our 30's. No kids.

I am completely freaking out. Read MOST of the threads here. Here are my impressions after reading the threads:
- bad infrastructure (terrible roads, etc)
- most people don't care about the environment - someone just posted a pic of fracking in the middle of a residential neighborhood. How was this allowed by the residents?
- guns, guns, guns.....
- crime is rising
- ugly run down homes/complexes/streets -- especially in SW COS
- people don't have jobs ---> contributing to crime
- fundamentalists in NE
- hippies in SW
- in downtown, you can smell MJ everywhere and also liquor
etc.....

Can someone help me with the following?
1. What's the BEST of the BEST neighborhood to live in (best means safe, clean, most expensive). Read some threads -- some were outdated. Some said Briargate??? Can you give examples of apartment complexes? We will be renting an apartment/house first before we decide on buying one. Is the downtown THAT bad? How is Cheyenne canyon?

2. What's the best car to drive in the midst of all these pot holes I am hearing about?

3. Other than the SE part, any other neighborhoods I need to stay away from?

4. Best gym for workout? (I don't do crossFit).

I think my life is over.

No need to tell me how pretty the mountains are --> I don't hike, I don't bike, I don't ski..... mountains don't do much for me. Don't know what I will be doing on weekends. Probably will be watching Netflix and gaining weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Your life is over? Really?

If you believe that, it must be true.

Seems to me you're not keen on moving just because your husband got his dream job.

Paul Simon: "We all see what we want to see and disregard the rest."

Old 05-03-2016, 04:44 PM

730 posts, read 769,459 times
Most expensive, safe, "best" from what I've gathered are areas around the Broadmoor in S/W area of town. Also some areas of Briargate and farther north, Flying Horse are pricey as well. Not sure about the first two options but there is only 1 apartment complex somewhat near Flying Horse because it is expensive and these areas tend to not want apartments near them.

Seems silly to come on here and bash our city then ask us for recommendations.

You're right, you won't like it here.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,834 times
Downtown, the Old North End, and large parts of tne near-Westside/Old Colorado City can be wonderful places to live.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:54 PM

923 posts, read 495,136 times
Based on your post, No you won't like it here you'll be miserable. Stay in Cali. Please.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
We have a lot of California people here in COLO SPGS, it's all in what you make of it, though you'd want to consider the ONEN and other places already mentioned.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 PM

178 posts, read 173,336 times
This has to be a troll.

If not, then I pity you. I moved from a tourist trap city of California to Colorado Springs almost 9 years ago, and I never looked back. I feel much more at home here than I ever did in CA. I don't miss the politics or liberalism of CA at all. It is a huge shame that a lot of that nonsense is now coming here. I think of myself as more of a Coloradan than I do a Californian, but that may change if this place becomes just like California.

Oh, and I don't even like skiing. Even though I enjoy hiking, I consider myself more of a home body. Despite this, I still love it here.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
...I don't miss the politics or liberalism of CA at all. It is a huge shame that a lot of that nonsense is now coming here.
Hardly "a lot."

But there are at least glimmers of hope that there will be more....

Old 05-04-2016, 04:55 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I think if you had really read the threads you would not come to such extreme and overly negative conclusions.

Instead it sounds like you are purposefully setting yourself up to not like it here. If you set yourself up that way, then of course that is what is going to happen.

There is no one single best neighborhood. But if you want expensive, start with the big homes in the Broadmoor. Also look at Northgate/Flying Horse.

Whatever car you have will be fine. Just pay attention. By the time you come in summer they may be mostly repaired for the season - depends on weather.

There are no particular other neighborhoods you should avoid.

You might like Villasport or Lifetime Fitness. Lifetime Fitness would be closer to Flying Horse.

And, what can you possibly do on weekends there that you don't think you'll be able to do here aside from stuff that involves the ocean (if you're even close to it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali on my Mind View Post
Husband and I are moving to COS from California since he got his dream job. We are in our 30's. No kids.

I am completely freaking out. Read MOST of the threads here. Here are my impressions after reading the threads:
- bad infrastructure (terrible roads, etc)
- most people don't care about the environment - someone just posted a pic of fracking in the middle of a residential neighborhood. How was this allowed by the residents?
- guns, guns, guns.....
- crime is rising
- ugly run down homes/complexes/streets -- especially in SW COS
- people don't have jobs ---> contributing to crime
- fundamentalists in NE
- hippies in SW
- in downtown, you can smell MJ everywhere and also liquor
etc.....

Can someone help me with the following?
1. What's the BEST of the BEST neighborhood to live in (best means safe, clean, most expensive). Read some threads -- some were outdated. Some said Briargate??? Can you give examples of apartment complexes? We will be renting an apartment/house first before we decide on buying one. Is the downtown THAT bad? How is Cheyenne canyon?

2. What's the best car to drive in the midst of all these pot holes I am hearing about?

3. Other than the SE part, any other neighborhoods I need to stay away from?

4. Best gym for workout? (I don't do crossFit).

I think my life is over.

No need to tell me how pretty the mountains are --> I don't hike, I don't bike, I don't ski..... mountains don't do much for me. Don't know what I will be doing on weekends. Probably will be watching Netflix and gaining weight.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:28 AM

268 posts, read 345,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Based on your post, No you won't like it here you'll be miserable. Stay in Cali. Please.
X2, please stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs