Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 8,948 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to Colorado Springs from Atlanta GA in a few weeks and I would like some local opinions on the area around 529 S Institute St. I may be renting a house in that general area and I'd like to know if it is considered dangerous?

Based on recent police reports and crime data, that area does seem to have relatively high crime. I'd like to know the reality though, I can live with the chance of my unlocked car being broken into on the street, but I rather not live with the risk of gang violence. Any insight into your first hand experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 02:22 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
Gang crime is down all over the city in recent years, but it is possible anywhere, and slightly more likely than some other places in the area you mention. It looks like in the last year I found data for (2017) https://gazette.com/news/map-gang-re...f26fd9a4b.html there were a handful of 'gang-related' crimes in that general area - maybe around a dozen-ish. But that includes property crimes and not 'gang-violence' per se - probability of any actual threats of bodily harm to people without any association with gangs is quite low.

Me personally - I would rent there if I could visit first and see it in person both in day and night and was comfortable with what I saw/didn't see. If I had to rent sight unseen, I'd keep it on my list but also look into some other areas. I am not sure what your budget or criteria are, but have you considered any areas outside the city proper - maybe Security-Widefield-Fountain, Monument, Falcon, etc.? I'm not saying you should, but there is a chance you might find what you are looking in an expanded area with still a decent commute if you haven't considered/searched them already.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:41 PM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
I'd stay away.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:44 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I'd stay away.
Me too- just today Powers Blvd. scared the heck out of me.

This place is just to dangerous!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:46 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,571 times
How did you come up with that house?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
How did you come up with that house?
It is just one of the few rentals available in my price range that met all of my criteria. I have applied to a few others, but this was my top pick. I plan to fly out and view it before signing the lease.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,861,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarr518 View Post
It is just one of the few rentals available in my price range that met all of my criteria. I have applied to a few others, but this was my top pick. I plan to fly out and view it before signing the lease.
Is this place near to where you'll be working? Just wondering what your other criteria is, aside from price. Is commuting a consideration?

Old 02-14-2019, 04:29 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarr518 View Post
Hi All,

I will be moving to Colorado Springs from Atlanta GA in a few weeks and I would like some local opinions on the area around 529 S Institute St. I may be renting a house in that general area and I'd like to know if it is considered dangerous?

Based on recent police reports and crime data, that area does seem to have relatively high crime. I'd like to know the reality though, I can live with the chance of my unlocked car being broken into on the street, but I rather not live with the risk of gang violence. Any insight into your first hand experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Chris
Here is the crime map. Look for yourself.

My Neighborhood Update

Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Is this place near to where you'll be working? Just wondering what your other criteria is, aside from price. Is commuting a consideration?
I was just looking for something cheap with a yard and a garage. I will be working from home so I have been looking everywhere in Colorado Springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Here is the crime map. Look for yourself.

My Neighborhood Update
Thank you! That is the most useful crime map I have seen, much better than what I was looking at previously. There is definitely a higher density of crime in the surrounding area, but there seems to a good amount of crime throughout most of the city, at least most of the areas I have been looking at. Maybe I need to consider increasing my rent limit in order to find something in a safer location. I should have started my search earlier, I will be moving in 2 weeks so I unfortunately do not have the ability to be too picky.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
I'll dissent and say the area is not awful. This is the Hillside neighborhood which has been steadily improving the last couple of decades. I wouldn't say it is gentrifying yet, as it still has a way to go.

Its location near Memorial Park and in turn, its proximity to south Circle Drive mean that general the area has a higher than average crime rate. Using the link specifically provided, it also shows a number of domestic violence in some nearby apartments, mischief, and a collection of shots fired, which I bet you could track back to one or two specific incidences. IMO, not particularly violent, but someplace to make sure you are aware of your surroundings and neighbors.

I'd also question the accuracy of this collection of incident reports as looking at my address, there was a stabbing with shots fired practically in my front yard within in the last month. Funny, but I don't recall that happening, and since my wife works from home all day, it didn't occur when she was home to witness such a commotion.

Is it as safe as other areas, no. Will you be subject to random acts of gang violence, highly unlikely. See, the thing about crime in Colo Spgs is that whiles its rates are slightly higher, its randomness is far below that of comparable cities. The largest percentage of violent acts in the city occur between parties who now each other. You certainly could find worse areas, but we obviously have better areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs