Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM

38 posts, read 139,502 times

Advertisements

Charles, those are wonderful tips. I didn't know that the East West route through the city is filled with traffic lights so that would make me reconsider Woodland Park. I didn't know about some of the neighborhoods you mentioned, and also the area where you live sounds very nice. I looked it up on Google maps, and I will look into these areas in more detail. My wife likes the idea of living somewhere around the Monument area so that she has the option to find an accounting job in the south part of Denver.

What is important to me, personally, is that I don't want to reproduce the feel of Southern CA when we select an area. I think there are some parts of COS in the plains that would remind me of the flat LA basin with the mountains in the distant background. It would be nice to be somewhere there are hills and woods and lots of green, and houses that have individual character. It seems that some parts of the Monument region fit this description, but it is kind of hard to tell from the real estate photos exactly how the terrain compares to someplace like Pasadena or San Bernardino.

If I take this offer we would move 3-4 months from now. Since a relocation package is not available for this position we are relying on the web to do a lot of our initial research without the chance to go out there yet.

The Monument area also has the benefit I could work in one of the south Denver facilities if I had to change jobs down the road.

Does the Monument and surrounding area look and feel very different from Southern CA? That is my main wish, to get the full experience of changing the scenery after being in Fullerton for 32 years, and the reason for thinking of Woodland Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionleather View Post
CI looked it up on Google maps, and I will look into these areas in more detail. My wife likes the idea of living somewhere around the Monument area so that she has the option to find an accounting job in the south part of Denver.

Try Google Earth; You can get a really good 3D look at the Monument and Black Forest areas.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
Try Castle rock.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Try Castle rock.
Way too far from Schriever...It is over 60 miles, 1:15 minimum.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,709 times
Quote:
Does the Monument and surrounding area look and feel very different from Southern CA? That is my main wish, to get the full experience of changing the scenery after being in Fullerton for 32 years, and the reason for thinking of Woodland Park.
Scorpionleather- Like Charles, we also moved from SoCal. We chose Woodmor in Monument for this exact reason. There are many great areas in COS, but we ended up in Monument on 1/2+ acre lot with pines. It's higher here, so we get more snow in the winter and cooler temps in the summer. For us Woodmor was a great fit, having larger lots but still has a 'neighborhood feel'. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
That's right Charles. I was thinking of his being able to work later on in south Denver area.
Black Forest sounds like a fantastic choice!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM

Great info here. Of these Monument neighborhoods like Black Forest, Woodmoor, etc. which one has the most hilly crests and peaks and foresty areas? I also came across a map on the web that shows a high fire hazard in some of these woody communities. But most important to us, we want to escape from flatland and we want to see some exciting weather action (lightning, snowstorms, things we don't get here). My (possible) future boss said Schriever is out in the middle of nowhere. So it is good that some of these neighborhoods are within good driving distance. Still haven't entirely ruled out Woodland Park but it sounds like the drive East-West could take a long time to make it to the office.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Great info here. Of these Monument neighborhoods like Black Forest, Woodmoor, etc. which one has the most hilly crests and peaks and foresty areas?
Probably pretty equivalent topographically. The housing gets less dense as you move east from Momument. I think Woodmoor is pretty much one acre lots, or close to that. As you move east the lots become 2.5, 5, and larger including horse property. However, the farther east you go, the farther away you are from conveniences like stores, restaurants, etc. Falcon and Monument are it. It is pretty much scattered large lot homes and horse property east of CO-83 in the extreme northern end of El Paso County - beautiful country, great drive home from work.

I think you will like anything within three miles east or west of Roller Coaster Road between Flying Horse and County Line Road. Lots of trees, landscape, hills, ridges, nice homes, close to shopping. Fox Run, Higby Estates, Kings Deer, Bent Tree, High Forest Ranch are a couple of subdivisions that come to mind.

As far as the diversity of weather, it's all about the same, ranging from gorgeous to frighteningly severe. As a native Southern Californian, the only thing about the weather that bothers me is the icy roads. I only experienced white out conditions one time, that was scary. But I'm sort of getting used to the ice - again, it's only maybe 10-15 times per year. I love the snow, it snows hard one day and the next day is so beautiful and sunny with deep blue skies. Summer thunderstorms are totally exciting.

Schriever is sort of out in the middle of nowhere. It is about ten miles east of COS airport. It is impossible to leave SAFB for errands or lunch. You either eat at the cafeteria or bring your own lunch. Depending on which way you go home north (Falcon) or east (COS) you will be at gas stations/stores about 15 minutes after you drive off base.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think you will like anything within three miles east or west of Roller Coaster Road between Flying Horse and County Line Road. Lots of trees, landscape, hills, ridges, nice homes, close to shopping. Fox Run, Higby Estates, Kings Deer, Bent Tree, High Forest Ranch are a couple of subdivisions that come to mind.
Perfect, that sounds like a beautiful place to check out.

Quote:
As a native Southern Californian, the only thing about the weather that bothers me is the icy roads. I only experienced white out conditions one time, that was scary. But I'm sort of getting used to the ice - again, it's only maybe 10-15 times per year.
Since my brother moved to Vermont he had a couple slipping experiences on icy roads, which are icy on many days. I told him to swap out the tires with ice/snow tires in the fall, something like Blizzak, Graspic, or X-Ice. Then swap the summer all-terrain tires back on in the spring. I'm thinking of doing the same if I have a chance to move near Colorado Springs.

Quote:
Schriever is sort of out in the middle of nowhere. It is about ten miles east of COS airport. It is impossible to leave SAFB for errands or lunch. You either eat at the cafeteria or bring your own lunch. Depending on which way you go home north (Falcon) or east (COS) you will be at gas stations/stores about 15 minutes after you drive off base.
Yep it's funny that's exactly what I was told at the interview. I was forewarned that once I'm at SAFB it will be impossible to leave for lunch or run to the post office, or anywhere else until it's time to go home.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Yep it's funny that's exactly what I was told at the interview. I was forewarned that once I'm at SAFB it will be impossible to leave for lunch or run to the post office, or anywhere else until it's time to go home.
Actually, the base will let civilians purchase gas at the base gas station, it doesn't seem any cheaper though.
They do have a credit union and an Einstein bagels. The MDIOC has a 7-11 type of place and a Starbucks kind of place in the lobby.
There are three gyms on base which anyone can use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs