Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 06:43 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times

Advertisements

Has anyone switched from Xfinity, etc., to CenturyLink's new fiber Internet? Had some door-to-door people come by last night and they put a dedicated line in for your house with speeds in the 900s. They are now also offering TV service - although not their own - they're partnering with AT&T TV and a few other providers. And they still have the same old land-line phones. Just curious if anyone made the switch for any of their services and what their experiences were like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 07:41 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Has anyone switched from Xfinity, etc., to CenturyLink's new fiber Internet? Had some door-to-door people come by last night and they put a dedicated line in for your house with speeds in the 900s. They are now also offering TV service - although not their own - they're partnering with AT&T TV and a few other providers. And they still have the same old land-line phones. Just curious if anyone made the switch for any of their services and what their experiences were like.
Did not know they were doing this- sounds good.

I am using their DSL and have the "lifetime" rate of $40/month for 25mbs or something like that. Works very well for what I use it for.

Had Xfinity and loved the speed with them- after the promo expired they would not budge on rates that were much higher than the first year.

I thought CL shut down the Prism TV service since it was so bad.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:05 PM

I didn't see/hear anything about Prism - so maybe so - but they apparently partner with AT&T to provide TV as well as some streaming services and a few other providers I guess. The dedicated fiber to your house so you're not sharing your Internet with your neighbors fighting for speed, etc., is appealing, but I do think their TV offering is not quite as good as Xfinity. With Xfinity, I have my home phone and cell phone and they have great rates on cell and they work together well - I can get my home phone calls on my cell, I can see who is calling on my TV screen if it is turned on, etc. But, they're pretty pricey overall, aside from the great deals for cellular.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 9,762 times
I moved to The Springs in May. I live just north of downtown. I signed up for CL fiber first thing. The fiber was already run to my house. I've never had Xfinity, though their cable also goes to my house.

I got a $65 per month for life deal. 1gbs up and down. Internet only. Landline phone is available. TV available, but it's some deal through AT&T. Might even be satellite. I don't know since I didn't sign up.

Anyway, the service has been good. Installation was easy. Tech came in, hooked up the fiber to a small (looks like a small router) ONT inside my house. Ethernet cable to a "modem" that CL supplied for free. The modem is actually a combination DSL modem, ethernet router, and 2-band wi-fi router. The modem feature is not needed for fiber unless you also have landline phone.

I get pretty close to advertised speeds, which I think are 940 up and down. (You can never get the full 1 G speed because of network overhead.)

The CL-supplied modem/router is decent but not great. Has good wi-fi range. But I have a lot of devices and as I brought more of them online, the router needed to be reset fairly often. So I think it doesn't handle lots of devices well.

I bought my own router, a modest TP-Link A9. It handles all my devices much better. I put the CL router in the closet and will only bring it back out if I have connection problems and need CL tech help in the future.

One word on using your own router - CL uses both PPPoE authentication and VLAN tagging. Not all routers can do both of these things. In particular, some of the more popular mesh routers can't. So check the specs before you buy.

Someone mentioned that with fiber, you would never compete with other customers for bandwidth. That is not true. All the individual fiber drops terminate somewhere in a box down the street, where they are connected to a fiber backbone to the central location. So if that box is pretty full of connections to your neighbors who are all streaming and playing games the same time as you, there will be slow downs. It's just that you are less likely to notice with fiber than with older technologies.

Having said all that, my next door neighbor has cable internet from Xfinity. He is very happy with it. So in my neighborhood, at least, there are two decent choices for now.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even_Stephen View Post
I moved to The Springs in May. I live just north of downtown. I signed up for CL fiber first thing. The fiber was already run to my house. I've never had Xfinity, though their cable also goes to my house.
Thanks for the info! My Xfinity Internet etc. is working fine for me right now and your post is enough for me to decide that I don't need to switch right now but I'll keep it in mind for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs