Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 AM

126 posts, read 483,136 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm mid 30s, single, and work in commercial lending. I currently live in Richmond, VA and am looking to escape the hot, humid summers.

I'm also looking for a slower pace of life and wide open spaces.

Now, politically, I'm a bit left of center and I'm also not particularly religious.

What are jobs in lending like?
What is the city like for non-religious singles?
Is it an affordable place for a single to live?

Any feedback appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
Hi.

I'm mid 30s, single, and work in commercial lending. I currently live in Richmond, VA and am looking to escape the hot, humid summers.

I'm also looking for a slower pace of life and wide open spaces.

Now, politically, I'm a bit left of center and I'm also not particularly religious.

What are jobs in lending like?
What is the city like for non-religious singles?
Is it an affordable place for a single to live?

Any feedback appreciated!
Lots of Banks here, look at Wells Fargo, for example. I'll bet the pay is less than VA, but so is the cost of living.

I'm also a Progressive Agnostic, and frankly, I'd prefer to live in Boulder

However, the ultra Christian Evangelical whackos tend to keep to themselves, and they don't waste time trying to change your mind.

I'm not single, but the single people always complain that there isn't much to do here.

Frankly, I think you ought to look into Boulder, or Ft Collins.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Lending (mortgages) is pretty big and will grow as the troops move into Ft. Carson. I have known a lot of people in the mortage and title industries and it's pretty happening.

As for the religious nature of this town, yeah, it's there. I myself don't practice any religion and do fine even with very Christian family members. I have many friends here that are right, left and center. I am single, in my 30s but like it that way.

Anyhow, despite what the perception is, the west side of town is a perfect area for those with more liberal/non-Christian. As time goes on, C Springs is becoming more and more diversified.

Having lived here for most of my life (lived in Denver and Grand Junction for 5 years) I have seen it grow and change.

Now, with the military here, it will naturally be a little more conservative in political nature more so than because of the religious institutions that are here. It was like that before Dobson and his minions found C Springs and moved here.

Overall though, it's a friendly city with a lot to offer an "older" single like myself.

Heck, I have a lesbian friend (not religious) who moved to another state for her graduate degree and hates it there. She is missing C Springs to a great degree. In fact, she is considering dropping her graduate degree and move back here. She misses the friends she has made here and the outdoor opportunities even though she doesn't fit the mold that others might think about C Springs.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: As for the affordability, in the mortgage and title insurance careers, you can easily afford some nice places once you get established. It is more affordable than most places in the mid to upper Atlantic states. I rent a three bedroom, two full bath, two car garage for around $950. I do rent from a friend but there is comparable housing for around $50 more a month. I live in a decent area - lower middle class (construction, army, retirees, police officers, computer tech on the lower end, etc...)

Last edited by COflower; 01-09-2007 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Forgot about the affordability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs